Noise after timing belt replacement

Reaction score
I have just replaced the timing belt, tensioners, dephaser etc with the gates kit on my clio 182. I used all correct tools, both ends of cams, and very carefully tensioned and timed the engine. All rotated perfectly - I was very happy with myself.
When I started the engine I noticed a slight squeak at idle - it is not noticeable at higher revs. I took it for a quick spin but the noise is still there. I have now taken the upper cover back off the engine and I notice that the outside edge of the belt has threads starting to appear. I have read else where on this forum that the tensioner can give trouble and hit its stops, fred raised this before. The belt sits on all pulleys correctly. Would the signs I mentioned be an over tight belt and if so would a re tension cure? - just when I was please with myself!
I must add that as mentioned I have all relevant timing tools and a good tool kit having done many belts and large engine maintenance jobs in the past on all my cars. I also took a number of weeks to complete doing a little at a time and referencing a number of guides - just to be clear!

Thanks.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The first thing I would do is remove all the cam belt covers and see if you can locate where it's rubbing. It could just be one of the cover not quite fitted correctly, You should also be able to check the marks on the tensioner are still lined up correctly while you're at it. I'm not sure that it would make a squeaking noise if it was over tightened, more of a whiring noise as bearings start to take the strain.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, I had a look at the lower cover and there appears to be a little rubbing there and judging from the wear marks it has been doing it before my change. I gave the lower bolt a little washer on the engine side to make the differance and that should sort that -it was only very slight.
In relation to the noise, see the link below. I double checked the tensioner and everything else while in there.
Is this normal for a new belt/normal 182 or am I now just hearing noises that are always there! The noise appears to be coming from the crank pulley wheel area. Should I just button it up and drive!!?

I have made a video clip of the noise, below.

[video]https://youtu.be/P1hpNL2rzxA[/video]

Last edited:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Do you have a picture of the tensioner? I suspect this is the issue. The same thing happened to me when I changed mine, the tensioner was the issue, even though the marks were lined up the belt was too tight, I believe the sound is from the tensioner hitting it's stops, I'm guessing it only does it on tick over? When you turn the Allen key to align the marks on the tensioner it is possible to go too far with it, when the marks line up it is then possible to turn it back slightly and still have the marks lined up. Hard to explain.

Reaction score
When I heard it on first start up I wasn’t happy and stripped it back again and checked and reset the tensioner. I read about the possibility of it hitting the stops but the noise is not coming from there and the tensioner appears to be working within its range. The nose appears to be coming from the crank area lower down. It does seem to appear on idle and its either not present or not noticeable when revved.

The car has been driven a bit since and the noise is still there as per video. I think I will have to strip it back and look for any signs of wear etc to point me in a positive direction. The Aux belt may be at fault as a new one and tensioned was also fitted?

May I ask did you replace your tensioner when it happened to you how or what was done to sort it out?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I didn't replace the tensioner, just re-adjusted it, the car didn't leave the ramp. I honestly had no idea where it was coming from and it sounded like it was coming from the crank area also. I researched into it and came across the tensioner issue so I set about stripping everything down and starting again which was thoroughly enjoyable, although at least the cam sprocket wasn't sized this time! That seemed to solve the issue.

You could try running it without the aux belt to rule out anything from that area.