Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a 182 Trophy (No.382) today, rather a nice upgrade from my Fiat Seicento Sporting! It needs some work doing to make it perfect but it's brilliant to drive all the same :D

However the battery light is on, as is the STOP light. At high revs this goes out so I believe the alternator is the culprit. Thankfully I made it home from Essex, just about as the battery was so flat the dashboard was lighting up like a christmas tree.

I need the car for work on monday so this is rather urgent!

Does anyone have an alternator or any ideas on the best place to get one asap? I'm located in Great Yarmouth.

HELP!

Thanks,
Ben

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Hi Ben & welcome to the forum.

I also had this problem a long time ago and it was down to the alternator.
I bought mine off the shelf from EuroCarParts and it was a genuine Lucas item (Not a cheap RTX)
Euro car parts are open on friday 2nd Jan until around 12noon so you could get it then

You would also be looking to be changing the Aux Belt Kit when doing this and if it was me for good measures i would be popping a new battery in also.

Below is a picture of the Genuine used (F**KED) one and also the new lucas unit on the car.

SWRWork04.jpg

SWRWork03.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Ben & welcome to the forum.

I also had this problem a long time ago and it was down to the alternator.
I bought mine off the shelf from EuroCarParts and it was a genuine Lucas item (Not a cheap RTX)
Euro car parts are open on friday 2nd Jan until around 12noon so you could get it then

You would also be looking to be changing the Aux Belt Kit when doing this and if it was me for good measures i would be popping a new battery in also.

Below is a picture of the Genuine used (F**KED) one and also the new lucas unit on the car.

Thanks Marc, I will get onto them first thing friday. For now I will be popping to Halfords for a battery charger! (The battery was renewed very recently by the previous owner).

Roughly what am I looking at for an AUX belt kit, would Renault the best place to get it from in a hurry? I will be going to them for the alternator if ECP can't deliver it soon enough. £250 for the alternator -£25 for return of the knackered one.

Sorry for all the questions but do you have any tips for the alternator and belt kit change?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
The Aux Belt kit is number 7 listed below and i have given you the part number in the top right and the price on the left also

182AuxBeltKit.gif

Here is also the correct Exchange alternator for the 182 Trophy with the correct part number on the top left and the price on the right.

OEAlternator.gif

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
There is none really in your area that i know off.
The closest that i would trust are the following
If it was me i would due going to Mark Fish hands down, This man knows everything there is to know

Mark Fish Motorsport - http://markfish.co.uk

Greenways Farm,
Foster Street,
Harlow Common,
Harlow, Essex.
CM17 9HX

Then there is 519 Automotive -
https://sites.google.com/site/519automotive/

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
Welcome to Trophy ownership! Im from Norwich and on 21st December 2014 bought No.414. Hope you get the alternator sorted out soon fella.

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
Welcome to Trophy ownership! Im from Norwich and on 21st December 2014 bought No.414. Hope you get the alternator sorted out soon fella.

Hi Karl,

Nice to see there is someone local, hopefully I'll see you around. Once it's running again anyway...

Reaction score
Right an alternator is on order, should be with the local dealer tomorrow morning.

A couple more things I've noticed, the cruise control/speed limiter don't seem to work. Even if I hold the switch down I cannot set any speeds, display just reads ----. Also what is the idle speed supposed to be? Mine sits at just over 1k when hot, I've read many things suggesting the idle on these are rough but mines very smooth. I thought it might be an air leak but if I put my hand over the TB it will stall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I have had a problem with my CC and Speed Limiter and it was down to a fault stored due to a mis fire.

It was a brake pedal, CC & Speed limiter fault and even when i wiped the misfire with a code reader that fault was still stored until i got it on a genuine Renault Can Clip diagnostic and it wiped the lot and sorted it out.

Reaction score
Quick update, the rather expensive alternator is on and working great. For some reason the alternator on it was fitted despite it having 'no charge' written on it. I didn't go with a belt kit since it was already done not too long ago.

Anyway it now idles correctly and everything seems to work apart from the glovebox light and CC/Speed Limiter. It will be booked in for tracking next week and tomorrow it shall have a much needed wash :)

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Check your fuses at the side of the dashboard.

Open the passenger side door and take off the small triangle panel and check them all.

Reaction score
Good to hear mate. Was the aux belt tensioner replaced when belt was last done? Glad its nearly sorted, did see this one for sale before I bought mine. Only drove mine 160 miles back & washed/hoovered it so far as been so busy lol