Reaction score
Yeah i got a phone call from a guy at work telling me to watch it :shock:
pretty disturbing, but the responce that people were getting from reno was not a surprise :roll:

they are so reluctant to release a recal due to the fact they would be admitting it was a fault in the design .
which it clearly is !!!!

im not certain if it concerns the trophy ?

Reaction score
This was on Watchdog last year but I've yet to hear of anyone who has the problem. Maybe Watchdog have run out of content? ;)

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
first I've heard of it - you'd have thought someone on CS would have had this happen by now if it was a proper representation, having said that having a bonnet fly up at 70 would kill you.... anyone we haven't heard from in a while?

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that failure to maintain something like a bonnet catch and consequent failure should mean it defaults to a locked postion. Therefore a design fault.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
can't really be done; you wouldn't be able to under it to fix the problem without expensive damage to the bonnet

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yeh, but that's the point of the safety catch in the first place. Is having a safety on the safety needed? It's like water instead of bleach in the bleach bottle..in case the kids undo that safety catch on the bottle....

i take your point but all people have to do is look after their car though.

Reaction score
To a reasonable person - bonnet catches are not serviceable items. If they were, they should be included in the standard Renault service. Owners should not have to make a special effort to lube their bonnet catches.

Reaction score
I got a letter from Renault yesterday saying they have had the bonnets tested and there is not a design fault, they also included an agendum for the service manual to include maintenance of the bonnet catch! So, not so much a design fault but a service guidance fault then.

I'm with Cue on this one, I think people who don't look after their cars deserve to run blind into motorway bridge towers and get their families wiped out in a fiery crash. Might be a bit extreme...

Reaction score
lol, interesting thoughts there Steve...

I got the letter the other day, booked in for tomorrow. Ive had a quick look and it seems fine but I guess its best to let Renault look at it. Dont know why as they dont normally have a clue what theyre doing but need that piece of paper stamping.

Reaction score
All Renault will do is spray a little WD40 on the catch. Its a waste of time going to them really as we can do this at home in under 2 mins. Oh and they'll also recommend you do the same every 6 months or so.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
been thinking about this.. i liken it to a ride at a fair ground.

if something goes wrong with it because of poor maintenance, you put a safety feature in place and improve the maintenance. If the safety then fails because of poor maintenance - you close the ride down and sack the mainentance engineer - you wouldn't put a safety on a safety.

These catches are only there in case the main catch fails. If a car owner isn't responsible enough to driv a road worthy car (hark back to an MOT senario) you either take the driver off the road for being a numpty or take the car off the road for being dangerous. As it's not the car's fault it's poorly maintaned - i'd start with the driver.

Day

Reaction score
Yeah but the catch has never formed any part of the maintenance schedule....

Until now.

Go figure ;)

Don't see this happening on any other cars do you?

G

I wouldn't call not oiling or cleaning or whatever it is you have to do to your bonnet catch 'poor maintenance'. I maintain all my cars to a very high standard, but I've never paid any attention to the bonnet catches. Why should I? You'd expect them to work correctly in the first place.