Reaction score
Does anyone have any contacts at Michelin? Preferably in product development, manufacturing or supply chain. Customer services or marketing better avoided.

Looking at Michelin's current UK range the Pilot Exalto PE2 (for the Sports and Roadster segment so they say) is still available in multiple wheel sizes from R14 to R18, including 205/55 R16, 205/45 R17 and 205/50 R15 which are all close to the Trophy's size of 205/45 R16.

As many feel the Pilot Sport 3 (for Sports orientated vehicles and high powered saloons so they say) is an inferior tyre for the Trophy there could be an argument to still have the PE2 manufactured in the 205/45 R16 size. One would presume that all the 205/45 R16 moulds are still around. Surely this is just a case of requiring sufficient market demand for the PE2 in this size. Michelin could be pushing to make the Exalto an obsolete range, shifting every user on to the Sport 3 application of course. This would mean all Exalto's listed are simply legacy sizes and are no longer being manufactured, with the existing inventory being run down.

All RS Clio III's 197 and 200 have a PE2 as a suggested tyre from Michelin, those models have not been shifted to a PS3 (a sport orientated tyre and remain on a sports tyre) so the Exalto segment still seems to have some market validity to Michelin.

Even the Williams still has a PE2 made for it in 185/55 R15. As the Williams is a bit long in the tooth now Michelin could have easily swapped it on to a PS3 and got rid of the hassle of producing another Exalto size, if they really are looking to get rid of the Exalto range.

Most RS Clio's 2004-2006 use the 205/45 R16 size, that's a large market segment. I would expect a large number of Trophy owners would also want to use the PE2 if it was available.

Perhaps, given the possible success in pushing Renault for answers on Sach's OEM stickers for dampers, a little pressure (no pun intended) on Michelin may provide an answer as to why they ceased manufacturing the PE2 in the size required for the Trophy.

I've only mentioned Renault, if there are sufficient cars from any manufacturer in Europe that use 205/45 R16 then the Exalto should sell. It's not exactly a size that is fitted to family barges, it is a sports size, and a good sports tyre.

Contacts at Michelin welcomed.

Reaction score
As said a lot of people do prefer the old PE2 over the PS3,other forums dislike this tyre also preferring the PS2 (original fit to RS megane)over its replacement.

PE2 are still about in other sizes 195/50/15 is common so if you can get a result on this good luck

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Scored the last two PE2 16" off camskill just recently;) As to trying to get Michelin to reactivate an tyre they have discontinued it was tried on RTOC with the Michelin MXV for the 5GTT and came to nothing, admittedly would have been a much smaller number but there would have been uptake for almost a whole run. But yeah def support any approaches to Michelin.

Reaction score
When I picked up an old Michelin 205/45/16 I called Michelin and they were very knowledgable / helpful.

Bearne, when you contacted Michelin, which contact channel did you use? Do you recall who you spoke to?

Ideally I'd like to keep this at the minimal level of investigation as possible; getting to a person that can give an answer quickly. I really don't want to deal with flunkies, marketing guff and a lot of running about.

We are highly unlikely to get a truly 'honest answer' if it was just the 205/45 R16 size that was deleted, and not the entire Exalto range. it is possible marketing felt the PS3 sells in large numbers due to the Clio installed customer base, so let's just delete the Exalto in that line, and we can push the 'new' tyre, raise its profile and make some dosh from a new product line.

I don't wish to sound cynical, it's simply the realist view of how big business works.

There should be no justification from marketing to put a vast swathe of sports cars on a 'sport orientated' tyre over a 'sport' tyre. Michelin's current marketing seems to reflect the decrease in performance users experience with the PS3 over the PE2.

Reaction score
Bearne, when you contacted Michelin, which contact channel did you use? Do you recall who you spoke to?

Ideally I'd like to keep this at the minimal level of investigation as possible; getting to a person that can give an answer quickly. I really don't want to deal with flunkies, marketing guff and a lot of running about.

We are highly unlikely to get a truly 'honest answer' if it was just the 205/45 R16 size that was deleted, and not the entire Exalto range. it is possible marketing felt the PS3 sells in large numbers due to the Clio installed customer base, so let's just delete the Exalto in that line, and we can push the 'new' tyre, raise its profile and make some dosh from a new product line.

I don't wish to sound cynical, it's simply the realist view of how big business works.

There should be no justification from marketing to put a vast swathe of sports cars on a 'sport orientated' tyre over a 'sport' tyre. Michelin's current marketing seems to reflect the decrease in performance users experience with the PS3 over the PE2.

I was in my local tyre fitters recently and spotted the PS3s on display. The Manager's view was that they are less sporty than the PE2s. I'd be interested in Continental Sport Contact 3s if you could get them in 16".

Reaction score
Just buy Hankook V12 EVO they are made in Hungary and many ex.Continental engineers helped develop them to European requirements.

My friend is a tyre test engineer for Continental & remarked on this fact.

TBH I preferred my Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Clio to the PS2's, sharper, more direct steering response & way better in wet weather.

Or buy Uniroyal Rainsport2, Continental brand, my friend went from PE2's on his Clio 172 to these and rated them highly.

Reaction score
J333evo 'TBH I preferred my Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Clio to the PS2's'

Dont you find the Goodyear noisy with that aggressive V pattern its just like a wheel bearing gone on the road

I have the V12 evo's on the megane good tyre but dont last as long as the mich.

Reaction score
J333evo 'TBH I preferred my Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Clio to the PS2's'

Dont you find the Goodyear noisy with that aggressive V pattern its just like a wheel bearing gone on the road

I have the V12 evo's on the megane good tyre but dont last as long as the mich.

Hi,

I should have put I preferred the Eagle's to PE2's. No I found they were quieter than the PE2's but then all tyres get noisier as the tread blocks wear down.

TBH I don't really understand why so much love as the PE2 is decidedly average in wet conditions, poor in cold i.e. under 5degrees damp conditions, though nice in the dry with good feel. The F1's are far superior in wet conditions.

And as for the PS3, I've read four tyre tests so far where it's been soundly middle table with the Hankook EVO, Conti3, Conti5 & Uniroyal Rainsport2 all being test winners, with Goodyears generally top three/four.

Though to be fair, tyre development now is so good the margins between tyres is much smaller & even Michelin no longer make tyres that last longer than others by employing a lighter more focused construction made popular by Continental.

Reaction score
I never quite understood Michelin discontinuing the PE2 in our size. Would welcome it back.

In response to the comments above on tire tests, I agree that there are plenty of good tyres in 205/45 size that score well in tests. In measured assessments there is always very little to differentiate the great from the Ok, and mainly in wet performance rather than dry. The crucial thing for me is how the tyre feels subjectively, especially when its had 5k miles of road use. I my opinion, the PE2 was great on the 182 (I'm not a Trophy owner), lasted very well feeling more responsive as it wore, and stood up to track abuse fine.

Subjecively, I haven't felt a tyre thats more suited to what I want, handling-wise. I now have down-sized to 195/45 and chosen Contisports, the original version, as it has a similar responsive feel from its squarer profile and stiff shoulders. The newer products from Mich and Conti tend to follow a current trend for being rounder and narrower for their given size (I'm not a tyre expert but that's my assessment anyhow).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just changed all four of mine to PS3s. Not really driven my car much but from the couple of thrashings I've given it the new tyres seem up to the job.