Metal above exhaust

Reaction score
call me thick but can anyone tell me what the sheet of sort of corrograted metal is under the car between the xhaust and the car? half of mine is hanging off and wanted to know if i could just pull it off or is it to stop heat or what? please help, cars goin in for mot this week and dont want it to fail opn summit stupid like this.

cheers.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That piece of metal is a heat shield. It's best to leave it on, mine came loose at a few places and ended up hanging down over the exhaust, remove the bolts that no longer fix the heatshield in place and put some big washers on them.

Other options are buy a new heatshield from renault or rip it off and risk heat damage, keep in mind the petrol tank is located not far away from that area, do not rip off the section above the centre section of the exhaust.

Reaction score
Re: metl above exhaust

cheers Ben. i was thinking of just getting a couple of big washers and bolts to hold it in place, not to be too thick again but do you know roughly what size the thread is so i can go buy a couple of bolt and washers? its literally only the 2 closest to the exhaust that have come off and the rattle is terrible when am stationary.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just use the same bolts, they don't have washers on to begin with, you only need to buy washers (big ones), I used something like an M16 washer or similar, best thing to do is remove one of the bolts and see what fits.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Re: metl above exhaust

Robh18 said:
marrow said:
lovin' the grammar these days...

lovin' the grammar these days... Capital L please lol

I know, what a hypocrite!

Spamming the thread is much more annoying. :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not had mine fitted fainve the car was on about 5k with no problems but if in place just use the larger washers.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I done this exact job tonight after work.

2 very large oenny washers and 2 new 13mm nuts done the trick and then covered in copper grease to stop the corrosion

Reaction score
I've had a bit of a mare with this recently. The heatshield first came loose about 2 years ago, so I just undid the nut and used a larger outer diameter M6 (the stud is an M6) washer, and then a few months ago it had come loose again, but due to the corrosion on the nut it had become one with the stud and I ended up snapping the stud. I had to file down the stud stump that was left and bond on a new M6 stud! Now sorted, but it won't be long until I can hear the heatshield slapping against the backboxes again. I can't believe that Renault would use fixings that corrode so badly in an area that is so open to the elements...

You won't need to buy any bolts as the stud is attached to the body, just some larger diameter washers, which don't have to have an M6 hole size to match the stud, and some new M6 nuts if you want to replace the corroded items.

Reaction score
MarcR said:
I done this exact job tonight after work.

2 very large oenny washers and 2 new 13mm nuts done the trick and then covered in copper grease to stop the corrosion

Just to note that aluminium will suffer corrosion when in contact with copper especially when water and salt is added to the mix. Best use regular grease.