SoS

Reaction score
Following on from some other topics and comments regarding Sachs and rebuilds, has anyone changed the Sachs for something else, if so what are the options?

I know the Sachs are the selling point of the Trophy, but as there is a lack of new stock and the refurbs do not seem to last I am interested in seeing what could replace the for the same price or less that gives as good or better handling.

This is my first RS Clio, I am not sure I would keep it forever but if I did sell I would chuck the Sachs in the boot anyway for the next owner.

I am thinking along the lines of Cup dampers (maybe not as good as Sachs), Coilovers (maybe Spax or similar) or even going for adjustable Konis all round. I know a guy with a 182 and Konis and he says they are as good if not better.

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know costs of H&R's and how long they last in comparison?

As we know from no new Sachs coming through and refurbs not working etc, we may have to change for something else.

Seems sad though as the Sachs are the main point of a Trophy!

Reaction score
Having previously owned a new 182 FF with cup packs back in 2004 putting cup dampers on mine doesn't fill me with dred. And will free me from the worry (and cost) of new dampers/refurbs. I'll let you know in a month or so what i think to them. Fortunately i still have good PE2's up front. Just wont be a T anymore. But still a good hot hatch.

Reaction score
Ive had 2 182 FF in the past too and they are a fantastic drive.

I bought the Trophy though as I thought it to be the best of the best.

My Sachs have just been refurbed at BG but something is wrong so they will have to go back.

Refurbs won't be able to go on forever though so will have to look into another option at some point.

Reaction score
My refurbished Sachs have now covered 30k trouble free miles including 2 winters (on my spare 15" wheels & winter tyres), as my Trophy is my everyday workhorse. My 1992 Lancia integrale EVO has pride of place in the garage as I couldn't stomach a dull car on my 90 mile a day commute.

Reaction score
I think a good quality coil over set up has to be the way forward in the long term.:eek:

I know you will say its not a 'T' any more but lets face it better to have it on coil overs and drive it than have it sat in the garage on knackered sachs.

All opinions are my own.

Reaction score
I think the death of the PE2 will go down as more of an issue. Never felt as good since. :(

SoS

Reaction score
I have brand new PS3s on mine, it seems to handle OK to me, although I feel that one of my shocks needs doing. For the money I can see that coilovers or similar effectively upgrades all 4 corners rather than just the fronts. My rear shocks are probably original so after 7 yrs and 56k miles maybe they will need doing too.

I know a guy running a 182 on Koni adjustables, he really rates them, he is using Eibach springs and can adjust the top mount for track days or softer for the road.

I know it is not seen as a proper Trophy without the Sachs, but if I could get a good set up that is slightly softer for the road but could be make as good or better as Sachs if you want to track it for similar money to a refurb I would be happy.

I dont like the fact a £600+ refurb is not guaranteed to last another 50k miles, so I am investigating all options.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I plan to keep my sachs for the long run. They are ageing well in terms of corrosion so i'll carry on having them serviced. All dampers are going to deteriate over time and being able to service the Sachs is a bonus for keeping them in top working order. For £600 or so I doubt I can purchase dampers which are superior to the Sachs.

You could buy a full set of koni's for around £500 + the cost of the springs, which is what I would be considering if I decided to change. Can the Koni's be serviced? What happens when they need a refresh in a few years time, do you buy new again? Is it going to work out cheap enough to justify doing it?

My serviced Sachs have been going well for 3 years and 30,000 miles now without a fault, some have lasted alot less than that, the same thing can be said for a new set.

Saying this, I do think the price for a refurb is extortionate for what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How often do people change 'normal' aftermarket shocks though ben? Granted, after 50k any shocks will not be at optimum performance but the Sachs problem is ridiculous!

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping your car for a long time i dont think it matters what dampers you put on it aslong as your happy with them. Only think it'll be a problem if you came to sell it

SoS

Reaction score
I don't think I will keep mine forever, although a complete set of dampers and coilovers should last for a long time, but I guess most buyers will want the Sachs fitted so it may affect my resale value, even if I sell the Sachs with the car.

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping your car for a long time i dont think it matters what dampers you put on it aslong as your happy with them. Only think it'll be a problem if you came to sell it

Totally agree, my Sachs are now in need of a refurb, however for the same price i can get a brand new set of coilovers which i am planning on doing. Really cant bring myself to spend that much money on refurbing an old set of dampers, seems crazy.

Reaction score
Sir_Dave runs H&R coilovers. Really rates them!

I do, review here:

http://www.cliotrophy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51206

My Sachs only lasted 12k after a refurb & i wasnt paying out £720 to BG to not even get a warranty. Strangely, they managed 170k from new without breaking though ..

Maybe selling them for something more adjustable when i get back from Thailand though. Because possibly racecar.

Last edited:

SoS

Reaction score
Just checking the Larkspeed site to price up some Koni shocks, for a set of 4 sport adjustable which can be changed on car plus a set of new Eibach pro spring kit comes in at £612 inc vat and delivery. The Konis come with a lifetime warranty with Larkspeed.

This could be my next purchase, it would be good to refresh the rear at the same time, so for the price of a refurb of the Sachs the whole suspension could be done. Tough decision!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just checking the Larkspeed site to price up some Koni shocks, for a set of 4 sport adjustable which can be changed on car plus a set of new Eibach pro spring kit comes in at £612 inc vat and delivery. The Konis come with a lifetime warranty with Larkspeed.

This could be my next purchase, it would be good to refresh the rear at the same time, so for the price of a refurb of the Sachs the whole suspension could be done. Tough decision!

That's the setup i'd go for. I think that would be a good choice and at a good price.