Intermittent Oil/Stop Light

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So I can’t get rid of this annoying stop/oil light.

How likely is it that it’s electrical over a real oil pressure drop? Can an oil pump ever be intermittent or are they go/no-go kind of things?

I’d hate to be doing the engine damage if it is oil starving but it’s kind of ruining the enjoyment of driving it at the moment!

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good idea - what would oil pressure be at idle and under load, or is it the same for both?

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
On every car ive owned with an oil pressure gauge the load is higher than idle...

eg idle could be 1 bar, load 2.5bar....

PS these are NOT values for the clio.

I have no idea what the clio values should be...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, I got the jitters and the AA recovered me to a local garage. Will let you know what’s up when I know for interest sake.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The oil pressure sender part number is

£5 will cover it.

Reaction score
I had this issue with #414 in October 2015, turned out some sealant with end cap was floating around and got sucked into oil pump. Had oil pressure checked manually then as pressure fluctuated on idle and under load sump off to inspect oil pump. Sealant in oil pump noted plus slight wear, so went for new oil pump clutch also done as subframe dropped job done.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had this issue with #414 in October 2015, turned out some sealant with end cap was floating around and got sucked into oil pump. Had oil pressure checked manually then as pressure fluctuated on idle and under load sump off to inspect oil pump. Sealant in oil pump noted plus slight wear, so went for new oil pump clutch also done as subframe dropped job done.

This is what I think it is - garage has replaced the pressure switch (again), taken it out for a spin and tell me it’s all good. I’m sceptical but hopefully it’s that simple. I shall vow never to buy euro car parts over OEM ever again….

Reaction score
Yeah this has happened to my car on and off, has had 2 facet oil pressure sensors. Two Techs did a pressure test and said everything is within range. Funky french electronics then!

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah this has happened to my car on and off, has had 2 facet oil pressure sensors. Two Techs did a pressure test and said everything is within range. Funky french electronics then!

I would have been happier to have read that a pressure test had been conducted.

@Scott_M , have you stopped using Rentech Portsmouth?

Reaction score
adding to this thread. I've found that I have the green plug oil pressure switch that equates to 8200671286 for the 172 installed on the car and have had it for some time (before my ownership). What is the difference other than colour to the part number listed for 182s/trophy: 8200671279.