Reaction score
I have a humming noise coming from my car, sounding like a shot wheel bearing - humming more when turning right, indicating a left bearing. I changed both of my fronts and after picking it up from the garage this evening, it's still there, not so loud though. I jacked the car up before it went in and spun the wheel and it was grinding so I was adamant it was that wheel.
Now I know the most obvious thing to do would be change the rears, but I'm a little dubious as at times it sounds loud in the car and seems to be from the rear, yet if I'm doing 60-70 it sounds as if it could be a front end issue. It's hard to describe! Could it just be vibrating through the chassis hence the frontal noise??
I hope someone can make sense of this message and see what I mean.
Thanks
Luke

Reaction score
Anyone?
I'll also add that its still humming when coasting in neutral. Tyres up front are PS3 and PE2 on the back, no uneven wear and it's definitely not a noise I've been living with and just noticed, it's too loud not to notice and has only started in the last 10 days.
I'm just after any ideas, if it's possibly something more serious I just don't want to be driving the T too much until the problem is diagnosed so ANY input would be greatly appreciated.
Luke

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Do you share my car with me and I don't know about it?

I'm having the same issue in almost the same circumstance.

Not had chance to investigate it yet.

Reaction score
Have you jacked up the rear and spun the wheels to see if its a rear bearing ?

Noise can some times be deceptive,rears are more common to fail than fronts IMO.

With the wheel off the ground and spinning by hand ,place your hand on the spring or hub.A worn bearing will transmit vibration so you will be able to 'feel' it,compare both sides.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, im glad someone is able to understand! Chaos - I originally thought it was a rear bearing, it was only as time went on that it seemed to be coming from the nearside front, I jacked the car up and spun both at the back and couldn't hear any unusual noise other than the pads gently on the discs, I didn't feel the springs though, I've heard they can act like a tuning fork with a shot bearing! Did the same with the front and i was getting a slight grinding noise so that's when I changed them. It's definitely quieter now, but It can be annoyingly loud at higher speeds, I could've just been unlucky enough to have more than one go at the same sort of time. I guess I'll get a set of discs and change the back, through process of elimination, I will get to the bottom of it, it's a shame though because I really can't enjoy driving the T at the moment because this noise is constant and it's doing my swede in!

Reaction score
Have you moved the Tyres around? My Cup had a similar issue, moved the fronts to the back an vise versa, the sound moved with them! Turned out to be a tyre issue for me, rears were at just under 4mm and despite even wear etc the noise vanished when I replaced the two 4mm Tyres. Worth a punt, these cars, having so little sound proofing do move noises around the cabin in an odd way.

G

Reaction score
I had the same thing a while back - convinced it was the front left ; turned out to be rear left. When I jacked it up and tested for play or graunchyness it looked fine - but it wasn't. Easy to change and a known weak(ish) point on the car.

Reaction score
Well I bought some discs for the back so I'll change them, possibly tomorrow, and if it carries on then I'll try switching the wheels around, I just want it to stop!! Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I've solved it what it is/was.
Luke

Reaction score
So, I got my car up today, and hooray, rear left bearing for sure. BUT, when tightening my wheel back up on the right hand side (with a torque wrench I might add) the washer thing behind the disc cracked :( if I can upload a picture I'll show you what I mean. But can I get another one of these from a motor factors and if so, what is it called?!? Please help!!
Cheers
Luke

Reaction score
You can get them from dealers I'm not at work so can't give you part number untill tomorrow doubt motor factors will sell something like that.