Reaction score
Jus need opinions on this issue please, my Clio fails to start after a long journey but if I leave it for half hour it will start again fine; for example I went on a drive to Oulton park the other week which takes me about 45 mins- 1 hour I parked my car up and got out then had to move my car and it failed to start left it for half hour and started up no problem, this has happened a few times now, I have bin told it could be coil pack but jus wanted second opinion.

Cheers

Reaction score
I would have thought that coil pack would give problems when running also (when the temp is up in the engine bay) not just a starting problem. Although with enough heat soak in the engine bay when stopped it could be the problem; what about fuel filter/ fuel vapor lock due to excessive heat in the engine bay??

Reaction score
Ye I thought the same, what you mean about the fuel filter?

Reaction score
When you sat it fails to start does it still crank over like normal? Also what Clio engine are we talking here?

Reaction score
Ye it does still Crank over and it's a Clio trophy 182 on a 2005 plate

Reaction score
Ok makes it a little easier, im guessing there is enough fuel in the car and your not going on what the dash says, i would first check that when warm your getting fuel pumping to the injector rail some failures on fuel can be down to fuel pressure regulators not holding pressure, if this is the case when cranking it will take a while when hot to get the car started but it will eventually start.

It could as stated be a coil pack, i done mine a while back got it from euro car parts i was a bit cautious as i only like genuine but i was desperate to get one at the time so i purchased a valeo unit from them, turns out its exactly the same i think it was around the £55 mark.

Other things it could be is a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor not sure on price of these if engine is being flooded this will be shown on the spark plugs they will be damp, its also worth checking or changing these when you fit a coil pack just in case the plugs have done the damage to the coil.

As previously stated could be fuel vapour but it will eventually clear after several cranks, try priming the fuel pump first by switching ignition on and off several times you should hear the pump running in the back you may have to take the lower part of the rear seats out to check for the noise.

Other than that only thing i can think of its ECU, most other things will make the engine start when warm but run poorly/misfire. Also if ECU was a cause you will most likely find it was intermittent.