Front dampers never rebuilt?

atl

Reaction score
My Trophy is on 80k+ and i have a tons of receipts from the last owner but very little from previous ones.
There is no paperwork to say the struts have been refurbed, they aren't in bad condition externally with no leaks and are functioning perfectly fine.

What are the chances that they have made it this far without a rebuild?!
Surely they must have been done at some point?

I gather they will have a serial number somewhere, would it be worth contacting some of the companies that refurb them to try and trace when they were done?

Reaction score
If they're performing ok and you aren't considering selling then I'd be inclined to do nothing.

When the time comes then get them refurbished but until then just enjoy the car for what it is.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I do believe there was a user over on CS that got 120K out f his trophy and the dampers where still working perfectly.

As above don't get them unless its needed or you have a problem.

If you get the chance to pick up a second set then by all means get them and have them done.

atl

Reaction score
Thats what i thought tbf.

I have just heard stories of them needing to be refurbed after 30/40k so now this one is just over double that im thinking at some point they must have been done!

Reaction score
I wouldn't go spending money on getting your dampers refurbed if they don't need it. If they were soft or leaking then I would get them refurbed. But for the time being I wouldn't worry too much. Just enjoy it

Reaction score
Mine did 90K on the original set and even then they felt fine,so as above 'if it aint broke dont fix it'

atl

Reaction score
Cheers guys!

And trust me...i dont have the money right now! Especially when i need to order a set of Sachs rears in the not too distant future!

atl

Reaction score
Think i spoke to soon!
After sitting the car on axle stands today whilst i sorted the front splitter i think somethings happened.

Took the car out after and turning left seems very sloppy.
Ride is just firm/crashy as it always has been??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
What happens if you push down on the front corners of your Trophy? (Careful not to damage the bodywork / paint!) Are you getting resistance and seeing similar behaviour both sides?

atl

Reaction score
There seems to be resistance there, and both sides feel the same...
It doesnt bottom out, unless it's already at the bottom?!

Just seemed very corkscrewy on yesterdays drive :/

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Im sure you have done some reading but...... Not sure how heavy you are but at 65kgs the front of the car hardly moves when i push down, I use the front corner bulkhead under the bonnet. Check your springs have reseated correctly and all bolts are tight. Check tyre pressures all round and rear dampers as those will also affect turn in.

atl

Reaction score
Cheers guys, took it for one last drive before its off the road for a week or so and yup...today when i push down on the drivers side it bounces around all over the place.
Left side is fine!

Grrr! Next time i wont say anything!!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Pop the alloy off and look for oil / signs of leaking or even better pop the damper off and see if this happens

[video=youtube;ZCWJQCizSEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWJQCizSEE[/video]

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^ Hahahaha, I was just about to link to my video and my knackered damper! Thanks Marc! :)

atl

Reaction score
So what are we looking at about £400 to get them refurbed?

Reaction score
£400 would be bare minimum

£1000 would be closer, but depends what you have done and what need doing, would recommended the new dust seals fitted

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That depends where you get them done, Cornering force will be somewhere close to that for a basic refurb. BG will be more.

atl

Reaction score
Wonderful...and i need a set of new rears too when they become available!