Reaction score
not long til august and my 25h birthday! and some family money coming my way. want to know whats the best machine, the evo 6 tommi makinen edition or the ultra rare scooby impreza p1? i will only keep it for about a year because i still want to keep my trophy and wont be able to keep both running and insurence, tax etc. i think the evo will be the more complete car but running it is expensive and the p1 is apparentley utter brilliant on handling and very reliable, both have same power and similar performance but what turns more heads? if its the evo it will be in red with all decals{ the one on the front cover of evo mag no:128. any suggestions or experiances of these too would be great

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well apart from the fact that only you can decide, and i suspect you already have, there's only one winner there.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Evo 6 Tommi Makinen. But again, Tough choice.

Reaction score
i have seen 2 scooby p1s in my area in the last 2 days but never seen a t m ever not even in the flesh, ive been told that you need a new clutch on the evo every 4,500 miles! please tell me thats not true

Reaction score
Nearly bought a Sti V5 Type-R (Japanese equivalent to a P1) last year from a friend who imports car. I doubt it was running 280hp as standard because it was bloody quick. If you think the Trophys suspension is hard lol wait till you drive the P1. If it was anything like the Sti, it was rock-solid.

Another friend has had a Evo 6 TME years back on a Y plate finished in Canal Blue. He fitted a HKS exhaust, HKS induction kit etc and that is what I was thinking of replacing the Trophy with this year. Never been in a quicker car. Very thirsty too. Vaguely remember him telling me that he would get 100 miles on £30 if he was taking it easy.

What would I go for? I'd imagine the Evo will be quicker but the Subaru will be more enjoyable day to day. Sell the Trophy and buy both.

Reaction score
Has to be the P1 although i like the evo 6 (best evo IMO) but i dont like the extra body styling on the TM version. I was looking at P1's as the prices are very tempting, but alot of them have had recent engine rebuilds at a cost of £4K plus (and these were not high milage cars are modified). So in terms of reliability im not too sure and it has put me off a little. I was going to log into Scooby.net for some advice but haven't got round to it yet.

I know that the evo's need servicing every 4.5k miles but i haven't read anywhere that the clutch needs to be replaced at every service interval. if this was the case i dont think anyone would really buy one

Reaction score
sagman said:
Nearly bought a Sti V5 Type-R (Japanese equivalent to a P1) last year from a friend who imports car. I doubt it was running 280hp as standard because it was bloody quick. If you think the Trophys suspension is hard lol wait till you drive the P1. If it was anything like the Sti, it was rock-solid.

Another friend has had a Evo 6 TME years back on a Y plate finished in Canal Blue. He fitted a HKS exhaust, HKS induction kit etc and that is what I was thinking of replacing the Trophy with this year. Never been in a quicker car. Very thirsty too. Vaguely remember him telling me that he would get 100 miles on £30 if he was taking it easy.

What would I go for? I'd imagine the Evo will be quicker but the Subaru will be more enjoyable day to day. Sell the Trophy and buy both.

i wont be able to have both, il only be 25, the hks exhaust and induction sound really nice for the evo and having the car run on v power think itl easily put out over 300 bhp!, this is just as tough decision to make as when i had the choice to take my ex girlfriend on a romantic holiday or buy my exhaust for my trophy.......cant belive how good my car sounds now in a tunnel

Reaction score
i hear the stickered up TM evo is the one to have...i think they run a register a but like the owners section on here too so you can check the histor against the number...

Reaction score
Owned a P1 a few years back for 7 months.

It was just at the end of its warranty but i got the feeling it was going to be to expensive for me so sold it on. Just had rear suspension done under warranty and a £1200 quote for new discs & pads all round.

Crazy acceleration. Really hard ride. Maybe harder than Trophy. Sure it used to give me back problems.

Mine had optional Prodrive Exhaust (& leather believe it or not). Still miss the noise.

Everytime I see one I still wish I had it still.

Reaction score
I ran a P1 that came through the business for a week or two and regret selling it. Mind you I couldn't afford the money it owed me at the time to be just sitting there! The only thing that worried me was the fact that they seemed to often need bottom end rebuild due to oil surge. Watch out if you get one.

http://www.allvehicles.co.uk/w665ldn.htm

Not too many one retired owner examples around!

Reaction score
One of my brothers work colleagues bought a P1 brand new as a toy and he still has it. Most will be thrashed and have a high number of owners but the 1 owner cars will be out there like Steve says. Also heard that Subarus have weak engines (earlier ones like the P1) but don't expect the Evo to be bullet-proof.

artdealer said:
I ran a P1 that came through the business for a week or two and regret selling it. Mind you I couldn't afford the money it owed me at the time to be just sitting there! The only thing that worried me was the fact that they seemed to often need bottom end rebuild due to oil surge. Watch out if you get one.

http://www.allvehicles.co.uk/w665ldn.htm

Not too many one retired owner examples around!