Reaction score
hey, long time since i last post..

ive got a 1.2 clio, but ive been thinking about changing the engine to something like a 1.8, anyone know where i could start, any problems etc, cost (would it be cheaper to just buy one...or better )

thanks grant!

Reaction score
Hi mate it's a good idea to put a bigger engine in your car but in all fairness i done this to my old 1.2 2002 reg clio it started out as a 1.2 cost £2100 in the end i had put over £3200 into the car i got a 172 gear box and engine and all the running gear from ebay for just short of £1500 then me and a pal took over a week to fit any garage would charge silly amount's to fit an engine, then came the problem's with the steering ,i had to upgrade to 172 steering rack then the rear disk brake's nad the suspension upgrade i never bothered with the kit it was like a wolf in sheep's clothing lol but it was problem after problem in the end i sold the car i only got £3300 altogether i spent an astonishing £6000+ including the car, i've recently bought a genuine 55reg 182 with 17000 miles on for £8500 so my advice would be buy a car with a big engine instead of trying to fit one these 1.2's are'nt built for power hope this is some help to you.

tony

Reaction score
cheers guys, sounds alot better easier for sure, lol. will ave to look into jus a new car alltogever,,,,,,shame :D

Reaction score
Agree with others,

I am guessing you are quite young and quite eager to get something with a bit of straight line speed? Everyone is the same, but most of the sensible ones wait until they can afford a car that was built to go fast. Just hold tight, save your money and then when you can afford a proper car then buy it and just wait until you drive it and wake up and its sitting on your drive.

We have all been there, but its worth the wait. Sit tight, you would much rather wait for a proper all-round car than one you built yourself which will just be unreliable and dangerous in the corners.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, and ur right, im gonna do jus that, my 1.2 will do me while at uni, then ill spend my cash n somet proper as you put it :D

away from this topic, i see a trohy the other day in Rochester, kent, they look better every time im lucky enuf to c one!