Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked many a time but I just want to be sure :) my trophy has started ticking when it's up to temperature and idling. The ticking increases with the revs, up to about 2000rpm then goes away. Is this the dephaser pulley on its way out? Anyone else experienced this? I'm about 90% sure this is what's wrong going by other posts.

thanks.

Reaction score
I've been told that's the Carbon canister making that sound! Might be worth investigating before the dephaser! I believe you can disconnect it to see if the ticking stops.

Reaction score
Put your ear to the drivers side headlight. If you hear the ticking loudest here it is the Carbon Canister!

Reaction score
Mine was making a very similar noise, was the bonnet rattling so I wound the adjuster out half a turn and it went away! Also as above check the carbon canister!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Stupid question here... What's the carbon canister?
The canister absorbs fuel vapour from the fuel tank, it's then released into the inlet manifold. A solenoid valve (on top of the canister) is controlled by the ECU which is what the ticking noise is. The canister is located behind the drivers side headlight.

Reaction score
Thanks, I've researched the carbon canister and it sounds like a possibility. Lots of people seem to have this noise and some say its the dephaser and some say the canister. Ill get it checked out at the garage just to be safe. Unless the noise gets progressively worse I'm not going to worry just yet.

Reaction score
Put your ear to where the pulley is. carbon canister is a very different noise.