Dam…..mayonase stuff found under bonnet……please help!!

Reaction score
Hi guys- must make this quick!

Tried to replace the windscreen wash in my dads 182. Opened what I thought (it may not be!!!) may be the windscreen wash top- and found the lid and opening contained a mayonnaise substance.

I know this is a really bad sign if it’s the oil top. :S

I have circled the bottle that I opened and saw it in. What is this bottle?

http://yfrog.com/65clio2dj

http://yfrog.com/6eclio1fj

Also where is the windscreen washer?

Pardon my ignorance lol.

Thanks!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
iirc thats the brake fluid bottle... when was it last changed?

the washer bottle is just above it in your picture to the right - nearer the wind screen

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Was just going to say I hope you have not topped that up with water as its the brake too up bottle.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes that is the power steering.
In the first pic, the windscreen washer cap is located just above the cap which you have circled, next to the leaves.

Reaction score
WOW thought I'd logged into cliosport there #-o "yeah thats the brake resevoir" LOL

Thats genuinely shocking, when was the last time you chaps checked your brake fluid levels?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
WOW thought I'd logged into cliosport there "yeah thats the brake resevoir" LOL

Thats genuinely shocking, when was the last time you chaps checked your brake fluid levels?

Not as bad as nearly topping it up with windscreen washer though!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oops!

The smell of the fluids gives it away - not really rocket science and only takes a few seconds to read the handbook!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
StevieH said:
WOW thought I'd logged into cliosport there #-o "yeah thats the brake resevoir" LOL

Never, I get other people to do it for me. :) you're right though lazy reply whilst doing something else.

Reaction score
Ok lets clear this up.....

it was dark and i couldn't see the markings on the cap- so i removed to look at the symbol in the light (clearly not for windscreen wash!). Its was then i noticed the mayo lol!

So, it seems that the mayo at this place isn't as serious as it is if found in the engine- but its worth looking into when the brake fluid was changed??

Will look at the car history for sure.

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
it isnt serious all the time when found in the engine (under the oil cap), lots of short trips can cause it to build up, something to do with the oil vapour condensing with cold air vapour in the top of the engine if things dont get hot enough throughout the engine.
but...if there are signs of oil in the coolent, and mayo on the dip stick its serious.

Reaction score
As said its the PAS fluid.

I would check that your system doesn't have any leaks. Mine looked like that when the pressure switch wraped its hand in and satrted peeing fluid out all the time. I'd check to see if you have any leaks but it no major problem.

HTH