Reaction score
as its a nice day i went for a drive around the countryside and thought about cutting a hole so my induction could breath better, do you think this could devalue the car and even damage the engine if it rains, dont want water sucking in the engine

Reaction score
I've killed an engine in a water splash in the rally car, it's no fun. I've also drowned one as well, the brand new one fitted after the last was runined. Water is a killer so I'd be careful if you live in an area prone to flooding and lots of standing water. The air feed can suck up water pretty quickly.

As to whether it would de value the car, this is going to be a matter of opinion and depend on who you are selling the car to. I'm in the camp that any alterations from the way a car left the factory will devalue it. Particularly tuning mods, cars are made the way they are for a reason. Road cars should say they way they were made. If you are going to compete in motorsport then that's a totally different matter.

Cutting a hole in a nice bumper - of course it's going to alter the value of the car, to get it back to original someone's going to have to buy a bumper. On the other hand someone else many love it...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
there's no point - what you may gain in improved airflow you'll loose as the engine mapping will be out. Removing the acoustic valve would be a better option.

Reaction score
seen a few 182 with the left fog light removed and the cold air feed going in there...stick on a nice alloy "trumpet" end and it looks sweet....dunno if it makes any difference though...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's not the best place for it to be fair - it's a low pressure area so very poor location for airflow, better to be used for brake ducts imo.

Best place would be either the top of bonnet - under the windscreen or where the reno badge is.... now that's an idea... Radiator would be in the way though. #-o

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I always thought that the passenger side fog was a bloody stupid place for the CAF, on the roads round here the car would end up drinking more than me :)

Reaction score
The standard airbox already breaths pretty well. When my car was dyno'd, it ran without the airbox for a comparison, it only yielded an extra 1bhp. My car runs without the acoustic valve and thats about as far as breathing mods will go since its a free mod, any more is a waste of money imo.

Reaction score
is it easy to remove the accoutic valve? ive had the whole airbox removed for my viper kit so there should be room to get to it, just dont really know that to do

Reaction score
If you've already removed the airbox for a Viper kit, then unless the viper uses the original airfeed, you will have bypassed the acoustic valve, so there's no need to remove it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jonc said:
it ran without the airbox for a comparison, it only yielded an extra 1bhp.

Intereresting, this renders my plan of a before/after dyno with the Maxogen a pointless waste of time and money.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anyone any ideas on this? Now the van has benn taxed and mot'd the plan had been to get the ecu live mapped but with an extra session on the road ie RR, fit Maxogen, RR then live map all on a single day as i know there are a few people interested in what the Max may add but if it needs a remap to take advantage of the extra O2 then it kinda defeats the object of my original plan, i may as well just fit and then go and have the map.

Reaction score
If its not gonna cost extra then do it, in the name of research :D

It'll be interesting to see if "..The trumpet design recovers air pressure from air velocity, filling a plenum volume around the large surface area of the MAXOGEN filter" makes a difference!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jonc said:
If its not gonna cost extra then do it, in the name of research :D

It'll be interesting to see if "..The trumpet design recovers air pressure from air velocity, filling a plenum volume around the large surface area of the MAXOGEN filter" makes a difference!

Mmm, yeah right. That is a load of guff what's wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Unfortunately time is money, their time my money.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Anyone any ideas on this? Now the van has benn taxed and mot'd the plan had been to get the ecu live mapped but with an extra session on the road ie RR, fit Maxogen, RR then live map all on a single day as i know there are a few people interested in what the Max may add but if it needs a remap to take advantage of the extra O2 then it kinda defeats the object of my original plan, i may as well just fit and then go and have the map.

Go on, you know it makes sense :)

Reaction score
This whole airbox discussion is interesting. As it is up stream of the butterfly, it has limited potential to add airflow, only to restrict it. The maxogen story sounds like PR - contracting and re-expanding airflow will require energy, which has to come from the air itself - can't be helpful. The standard airbox has a reasonably large filter, and no obvious restrictions - most of the 'turns' are not particularly severe.

Like several others I have removed the a/v, but also replaced the main cold air feed with a 75mm flexible hose which which is properly sealed and blended into the base of the airbox. Did it help, hard to say. Do remember that the standard airbox has 2 off 62 mm feeds anyway - just a question of when the a/v is open.

The only issue that I can see is whether on full throttle the length of the pipe from the throttle assembly to the airbox (of whichever type) is helfpul in terms of ram effect, if so just removing the whole assembly might not be the right test.

Most definitely cold air is helpful - which the standard set up has - it is possible to calculate the effect of temperature on power, as it directly influences the density of the air.

My reason for not being keen on fog lamp feeds is two fold. firstly I am not convinced that there is good airflow at that point - the fog lamps don't get very dirty do they. If there is appreciable positive pressure there is the problem that the pressure will vary for different road speeds, and hence different rpm in different gears. I am not sure how the MAF will cope - I tried it many years ago on a carburetted car and it was a disaster for these reasons.

My own conclusion is that my mods cost £25 and I am still not convinced that there is any gain from spending more!

As an aside I was discussing these matters with a reputable tuner of another engine, who has tried a variety of airboxes v- he reckons some do help, mainly at the top end (7,000 plus) , and in this case the ITG Maxogen was one of the poorer. Sorry Hoolio.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah pish, brand new boxed Max anyone? I suppose it does look prettier than the standard unit though #-o

Also, apparently Itg recommend that you don't fit a caf to the Maxogen.

Reaction score
Hoolio - all is not lost, this comment did relate to another car and it could have been an installation issue. We should all club together to get you to do a proper back to back so as to resolve this issue for once and for all!

Reaction score
Hoolio

Its a pity your not up here as we could have gone to RS tuning. I would like a bit more from the engine but only have limited funds so it has to go on the things that work.