BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey 8)

I had my first track day on Monday and loved it! :D :D

I was terrified at first but soon settled in after a couple of laps.

BRAKES:

When I first went out I managed 4 laps and had to pull into the pits as I was experiencing a little brake fade and wanted to check tyre pressures, my brakes were smoking a bit but it’s nothing I’ve not experienced before, they held up ok but I felt I was not getting enough feedback from them, also, if I was late braking into corners they were not forgiving! Lucky the handling is good 8). They are Mintex 1155's.

TYRES:

If anyone has seen my previous post about using a repaired tyre on track you will know I replaced it with a new one but a day before the track day I noticed a nail in the opposite rear tyre and had no choice but to repair it and use it on track as I couldn't get a new one in time. With the circuit being clockwise I don’t think it touched the ground much in the corners :wink:. My other tyres took some punishment and were practically falling to bits. I certainly will not be using a repaired tyre on track again as I now understand the punishment they take.
2 Hours into the day it hammered it down and that’s when the PE2's really showed their form and I was overtaking almost everyone there due to them running on R888's and various slick/semi slick tyres. I really enjoyed driving in the rain :D .

HANDLING:

Excellent other than I felt there was a bit too much roll, however, there was the initial roll and then the Trophy just digs in, sometimes/most of the time I was late braking and entered too many corners too quickly but I still seemed to get around without too many difficulties, plenty of lift off over steer in the wet which was fun, but totally predictable :). In the wet I was surprised how quick it was.

I can’t wait for my next one!

Pics from the day… Taken by Xtreme Sports Photography.

DSC_0051-1.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0514.jpg

DSC_0515-1.jpg

DSC_0914.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_6.jpg

Some sideways action..

DSC_0919.jpg

My Girlfriend got this one, who managed 1 lap btw, kicking and screaming.

DSCF3355-1.jpg

Ben

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Brilliant that you loved it, from the pics it looks like you had some tuition, how did you find that?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No I had no tuition, thats Max (off here) who is in the passenger seat, clinging on for his life iirc as I nearly lost it on the fast S's. I will get tuition at some point though.

Ben

Reaction score
Great write up, glad you've taken the Trophy on track Ben and seen how capable it is. Love the last photo :D

Any plans for some more?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hopefully get another one booked soon, I fancy doing Oulton Park next.

Trophy was awesome 8)

Ben

Reaction score
They are superb on track especially when it's wet , I used to dislike the rain but since I had the trophy love it!

Glad you enjoyed it , hopefully I will try and get on an Oulton trackday with you but depends on my hill/sprints as I am now 2nd overall in the championship .

Max

Reaction score
Great photos Ben, loving the light coming through the tyre tread on one of them.

You can see the sidewalls flexing a lot on pics 9 and 15 (I think) like we talked about.

Give me a shout if you loook at booking Oulton.

Our '5 is going on the rollers a week on Sat so should be much more healthy next time.

ETA - I was bloody terrified as your passenger, I was constantly pressing the imaginary brake pedal!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey Max.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. The PE2's are no good for track work, too much flex in the side walls like you say, plus they were falling appart after a few hard laps, saying that when it rained I was faster than most out there, in fact the only car that passed me was a Subaru Impreza.

Ill run some dates past you in the near future too see if you are available for another track day.

Glad you enjoyed it , hopefully I will try and get on an Oulton trackday with you but depends on my hill/sprints as I am now 2nd overall in the championship .

Thats cool 8) , well done mate, keep it up :D

Ill run some dates past you also.

Reaction score
BenG said:
Hey Max.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. The PE2's are no good for track work, too much flex in the side walls like you say, plus they were falling appart after a few hard laps, saying that when it rained I was faster than most out there, in fact the only car that passed me was a Subaru Impreza.

R888 ok in wet aslong as there warm, have a look at one of my videos from last september on my facebook page Ben ;) :lol:

Reaction score
keith185 said:
Johnny E said:
You should also try Angelsey im up there the 20th May :D

Booked myself onto that one :)

2 Clio's down, other clio coming with you mate?

Im with a few of my mates 7 Scoobies and a Elise :D

Im takin my Leon Cupra out but i will be driving like Miss Daisy as ive had a few issues and just spent a lot on my engine and lookin to sell at the end of the month so not takin any chances :( :( :(

I booked it a while back so still doing it...................

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
They are superb on track especially when it's wet , I used to dislike the rain but since I had the trophy love it!

Well done bud my year is over for now just trying to decide what car for next year :D

Reaction score
Johnny E said:
keith185 said:
[quote="Johnny E":2vtvnkvm]You should also try Angelsey im up there the 20th May :D

Booked myself onto that one :)

2 Clio's down, other clio coming with you mate?

Im with a few of my mates 7 Scoobies and a Elise :D

Im takin my Leon Cupra out but i will be driving like Miss Daisy as ive had a few issues and just spent a lot on my engine and lookin to sell at the end of the month so not takin any chances :( :( :(

I booked it a while back so still doing it...................[/quote:2vtvnkvm]

:oops: ok, nice way to say 'goodbye' to your car :D

Looking to use this as a post winter shakedown tbh not been on track since last september :shock: lol

Look forward to see you there.

Reaction score
I done Oulton last year and it ran great and got meself set up for a few sprints/hillclimbs this year,engine went pop and just spent a grand to sort it out. So its going at the end of May and time for a different car to play about with might even be a Trophy not sure yet.

Were all camping for a couple of nights, hope you car shows a couple of my mates Scoobies how to go round Angelsey as they are so biased :D

Heres mine you should overtake me a few times :D

SeatLeon3.jpg

Max

Reaction score
Found a few pics....

Croft10.jpg

This Radical was insanely fast

Croft11.jpg

The not so fun side of super charging

Wiring.jpg

Croft12.jpg

Croft13.jpg