Ajr

Reaction score
I get a deep creak/groan sort of noise when pulling away. And no it's not the ABS system, it does it whenever pulling away from a standstill. Only started this week really, and i think it's related to my worn wishbone balljoints.

Normally i'd think engine mounts but it dunno. Anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Somewhere on the roads in North Yorkshire
I was just going to ask what Matt did, if it does it while turning the wheel at low speed (like parking) it is a common problems on a lot of 182's. Basically the tops of the front suspension spring housing dries out and needs a gallon of grease slapping in them, will last several months and it will gradually keep coming back. The only permanent fix is to replace them but then again if you fit Renault standard it could just happen again.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you're going to replace the top mounts i'd do the bushes as well as i think they contribute to the problem.

Ajr

Reaction score
Which bushes mate?

I'm replacing both wishbones with new renault OE ones, tempted to get some renault track rod ends too, will get top mounts. Then i need to get the cambelt done and the engine mounts, and get the front dampers rebuilt, and sell my kidneys...

Reaction score
Don't go overboard in one hit. Change the balljoints first, its the cheapest option if you go for aftermarket ones (£25 the pair), and I'd bet that they will be causing your trouble - I had the same problems. The last time I looked at my top mounts (34k) they had no symptoms of wear whatsoever. Unless you can get special grease, I'd avoid using it on the top mounts, it can cause hardening and degradation of the rubber.

Ajr

Reaction score
I know for a fact that the wishbone balljoints need doing, i'm just trying to persuade myself that spending £130 on a pair of wishbones from renault isn't ludicrous, after searching endlessly for the balljoints on their own...

I will do them as it's a pretty simple job, then if i'm getting into top mount changing then i'll definitely get the dampers refurbed as they are on 50k, i don't wanna be taking it all apart again in a few months, replace/refurb it all and be done with it i say! Don't wanna be faffing about with solid top mounts, been there before and standard will do me fine! If they've been creak free for 3 years, a new pair will last another 3 years in theory!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ajr said:
Which bushes mate?

I'm replacing both wishbones with new renault OE ones, tempted to get some renault track rod ends too, will get top mounts. Then i need to get the cambelt done and the engine mounts, and get the front dampers rebuilt, and sell my kidneys...

These ones, as discussed before;

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp ... ubmit1.y=9

Like i've said i'm not totally convinced the top mounts are responsible for all of the problems associated with the creaking etc.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
RedlineBreaker said:
Yeah just to clarify I did not mean literally put a load of grease on them. Anyhow K-TEC may have a solution as they now have top mounts that eliminate this common problem and improve the rigidity at the front end meaning better handlng, link is below:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2554

Those are exactly the same as the Combrake ones that i have fitted except it seems to have a rubber collar for the bottom part to sit in the turret.
These are not a option for most people as although they do everything they say on the tin and i really like mine i only use 307 for fun, not day to day. They would be too harsh for most used on a daily basis.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you do get used to having a numb body and white knuckles after a while lol. :mrgreen:

It's not that bad really but it is more go kart like than normal road cars should be.

Ajr

Reaction score
I'm not fitting solid top mounts :evil: I do around 20k a year mostly on back roads so i think the extra road noise would annoy me. I have a track car that i can make extremely uncomfy and noisy, clio stays standard(ish)

So, bushes, you mean the anti roll bar ones? Sure i can stretch to some powerflex ones.

Reaction score
my trophy makes a strange creaking noise while low speed manouvering but , strangely, only after a long drive (around 2 hrs). Dunno if anyone has had a similar exp or even if its related to your problem. Could it be the same problem?

Ajr

Reaction score
Mine does it more after long distances. At the moment it's only doing it when parking, after long drives it does it while pulling away too.

To me it sounds like some sort of rubber bush. But it's also accompanied by a definite knocking noise from the balljoints.

I'll post in here when i've replaced the wishbones to at least say if that alone sorts it!

Reaction score
Mine definately did it more after about 30 mins driving. I thought it may have been the ARB bushes, so I inspected them at the time + 'lubed' them up - no change. I was scratching my head until the drivers side BJ failed the MOT, I changed the pair and hey presto!
Good luck balljoint hunting!
Tom

Reaction score
i had that then i made a longish trip and it got alot worse over bumps ect turned out it was the ball joint gone beforehand it just creaked when i reversed up my driveway as its on a slant, the trophy was still under warranty so a dealership sorted it for me, ever since i have no noise whatsoever from the car though could also be engine mounts but id imagine thats more of a knocking noise than creaking, hope this helps.

Reaction score
I have the same problem after track use. The extra heat is causing really loud creaking.
I eventually sourced the problem by jamming a hole in the lower ball joint collar and filling it with grease. No more squeaking now so this was definitely the problem, although I don't think this is a permanent fix.

I have bought a new lower arm (only one side) and to unbolt the ball joint and replace it would be very easy or am a crazy not to replace the whole arm. The car has only done 20K.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is interesting, i've not come across this as a fix when browsing other forums.

Ajr

Reaction score
My handling is deteriorating rapidly :(

Going to phone renault tomorrow to order a pair of wishbones, won't have a chance to fit them till next weekend but will inspect the dampers and suspension for leaks and loose bolts etc. It's not been apart since new, and since i've had the car, it was fine for a few months and all i've changed is the front brakes!