Reaction score
HELLO I'M NEW

What engine oil should i use for my clio williams?

Reg vardy are a waste of time, they are suppose to be the dealership for Renault yet don't have a clue about which engine oil to use for the sport version cars!

They don't even stock Elf or Total engine oil!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :D

TBH you should do a search on one of the Clio Williams forums out there as they will have all the infor you need.

For my missus' Williams, I just use a good quality semi-synthetic 10W-40 oil such as Silkolene Titan XTR, but her car is high on the miles and she doesn't want to pay through the earth for oil. Some owners use high quality fully synthetic 5W-40 oils (as I do for my Trophy), but these will be twice the price of the semi syn.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd put 5w40 in it - anything is better than nothing or oil. Silkolene is about the best oil brand but any 5w40 should be ok.

Reaction score
Well Reg Vardy told me to buy ELF COMPETITION ST 10W 40 SEMI SYNTHETIC VERY HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL, 52quid for 5 ltrs, I bought 3!

But for my 182 they told me to buy EXCELLIUM LDX FULLY SYNTHETIC 5W 40.

Surely the oil for 182 would be the same as the Williams?

Reaction score
G0G5 said:
Surely the oil for 182 would be the same as the Williams?

No, the F4R is a different engine to the F7R in the Williams, the F7R was designed and built in a time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and all they could find for lubrication was tree sap. Hence semi-synthetic oil can be recommended for the F7R but not the F4R, that was designed and built when fully synthetic oils were significantly cheaper and more available.

Reaction score
If you pop down to Gsf and buy yourself some Total quartz oil, it comes in semi and fully synthetic varients, and is basically rebranded elf oil at half the price.
Good enough imo.