Clio Trophy #490

Reaction score
Clio Trophy #490/500
£4,850

My Clio Trophy is reluctantly for sale. I’m now in a position to get into a car I’ve wanted to own for a number of years, and sadly cannot keep two cars. I’m not in a rush, however, and would be happy to continue enjoying it.

I’m advertising it on here before putting it up elsewhere, as I’d like it to go to another dedicated enthusiast. Hopefully the rest of this ad covers most things, but please drop me a message with any questions; I’d be more than happy to discuss the car over the phone or email.

Key points
  • 127k miles
  • Sachs dampers rebuilt by Cornering Force 9 months ago/6k miles ago
  • Cambelt changed (including dephaser pulley etc.) 15 months ago/9k miles ago
  • Tyres in good condition, lots of life left (Michelin Pilot Sport 3, correct W rating)
  • New and uprated brake discs/pads/lines fitted 12 months ago/7k miles ago
  • MOT to 3 January 2018
  • Full service history and folder full of invoices/receipts
  • Both original keys
  • V5C present
  • HPI clear and not on the accident register
I have owned the car since July 2016 (c.120k miles) and am the 6th owner. The car has covered 127k miles (unlikely to increase by much). I was slightly uneasy about buying a car with this sort of mileage, but the history is comprehensive and also supports what previous owners had said – that it accumulated a lot of motorway mileage over a period of a few years.

The car comes with a (numbered Clio Trophy) folder full of invoices, receipts and all previous MOT certificates. It also has the original service book, owner’s manuals etc. I have outlined recent and notable work below. Despite the high mileage the car wants for nothing, with all of the key maintenance items seen to recently, and everything works as it should.

It is completely standard besides a Milltek cat-back exhaust system, with resonated centre section.

I have always run the car on V-Power/Momentum, as did the previous owner.

History
No expense has been spared during my ownership, over which the following work has been carried out:
  • Sachs dampers rebuilt by Cornering Force - September 2016 (removed and refitted by Two Techs in Dartford). Dyno graphs from the rebuild included in the history folder
  • Serviced at Two Techs - July 2016, including fitting of the following:
    • Brembo HC front discs/OEM rear discs/Ferodo DS2500 pads all round
    • HEL braided brake lines
    • Pipercross panel filter
  • New injector fitted due to a misfire/EML (cylinder no.4) at Two Techs - July 2016
    • I later replaced the other three injectors for peace of mind
  • Pre-cat lambda sensor (Bosch) - January 2017
  • New alternator and battery (Bosch) - April 2017
  • New tailgate actuator/solenoid - April 2017
Work under the car's previous owner includes:
  • Cambelt and dephaser pulley changed along with all associated parts by Two Techs – April 2016, at 118k miles
  • Replacement cat converter and post-cat lambda sensor fitted by Two Techs – April 2016 (the car had been running a de-cat pipe previously)
  • New Sachs rear dampers and Powerflex upper bushes – February 2016
  • New coilpack and HT leads - February 2016
  • 4x Michelin PS3 tyres (correct W rating) and laser alignment - August 2015
    • Still a healthy amount of tread left, I'd estimate 5-5.5m front, 4mm rear (I rotated them during my ownership)
  • Aux belt, handbrake cables and a wheel bearing - July 2015
  • Replacement tailgate struts from SGS - July 2015
The front dampers were previously stripped and rebuilt by Conering Force in October 2013, invoice and dyno graphs included in the history folder.

The previous owner also fitted a wiper stalk with intermittent setting, and a pair of mist style windscreen washer jets.

Condition
The car was given a full detail before I purchased it, at around 120k miles. It looks great after a good clean, extremely good for its age and mileage. There are a few marks around the body, commensurate with its age.

The interior is in great condition, with no wear to the front seats or bolsters. The steering wheel grips are also in perfect condition, and there is no “melting” around the wheel whatsoever; the car had a replacement wheel fitted at some point over the last few years and it shows. The rear seats look as good as new, and I suspect have very rarely been used. The previous owner fitted a new gear knob insert and gaiter, so these look fresh, too.

There are a few things that aren’t perfect, but are purely cosmetic. It has some stone chipping to the front, a tiny bit of bubbling on the front edge of the bonnet, and some of the wheels show a few spots of kerb rash. The front bumper could do with a respray to get it looking its best, but I’ve always prioritised the mechanical aspects of the car. Within the last few weeks somebody has (extremely frustratingly) managed to scrape the passenger side front corner while parking next to it – I have touched this in, but it is visible.

The car is in Dulwich, South London. It can be viewed most evenings (after 7pm), or at weekends. Given some advance notice, it could possibly be viewed over a weekend in Barnstaple, North Devon.

Test drives will only be allowed if proof of insurance can be produced, but I am happy to take you out in the car to demonstrate if not.

I have a Milltek de-cat pipe that will come with the car (never fitted in my ownership). There is also a Sony Bluetooth head unit in the car at the moment (DSX-A60BT) that I would be happy to leave in, for the right price.

1%20profile%20off%20side_zpspvvca35m.jpg
2%20rear%20off%20side%20corner_zpsjhrctdha.jpg
3%20rear%20end%20square_zpsczvbzt28.jpg
4%20rear%20near%20side%20corner_zps5blrp9it.jpg
5%20profile%20near%20side_zpskhiloi9e.jpg
6%20front%20near%20side%20corner_zpskadpf1ld.jpg
7%20front%20on_zpsmiyfvgv0.jpg
8%20front%20off%20side%20corner_zpsf9dpixwz.jpg
9%20engine%20bay_zpsaq9n2kxi.jpg
10%20Near%20side%20front%20wheel_zpszt3zljuy.jpg
11%20Off%20side%20front%20wheel_zpsggag3lzv.jpg
12%20Near%20side%20rear%20wheel_zpsp5todkgn.jpg
13%20Off%20side%20rear%20wheel_zpschc9k35f.jpg
14%20seats_zpsh48laoel.jpg
15%20dash_zpsor7ofdlz.jpg
16%20interior_zpsjzgcqhwm.jpg
17%20Clio%20history%20folder%20keys_zpsvvnruoe9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Howard!! You're selling up? Spill the beans, what's next?

Looks like a lovely example, good luck with the sale.

Reaction score
Howard!! You're selling up? Spill the beans, what's next?

Looks like a lovely example, good luck with the sale.
Cheers, Si! I'll be looking for something with an M badge that would be quite familiar to you...

Reaction score
This is still for sale, and price reduced to £5,600. If a mod could edit the original post accordingly, that would be great!

Reaction score
Price reduced to £5,100 ono. If a mod could edit the original post to reflect this, I'd be very grateful. Mileage will be up to about 127,500 by the end of the bank holiday weekend.

Reaction score
Price drop to £4,850. It'd be much appreciated if the original post could be updated accordingly.