Reaction score
Has anyone successfully changed the steering wheel yet on there Trophy or 182?

I'm having problems with the airbag warning light.

I purchased 2 x 4.7ohms resistors from Maplins - see photo below;

DSCF2415.jpg

From what I've read over on cliosport this should be all I need but when switching on the ignition all the warning lights go off one by one and after a few seconds the airbag warning light and Service light come on?

I've put the Airbag back in and reset the fault codes and the warning lights are now off again.

But I desperately want to fit my new wheel - all help appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have you dislodged the bunch of wires that go into the socket on top of the steering column? I did this and same two lights came on, probably not the answer but it's worth a go.

Reaction score
I think PaulTrophy002 (i think thats his user name) changed his wheel a while back so you could ask him or search for the thread. Also might be worth posting over on ClioSport as i reckon there might have been more people over there who have changed their wheel.

What wheel are you replacing it with Mat? What are you planning on doing with the cruise control buttons? I'd love to fit the wheel from the 197 but i've heard it wouldnt be that simple.

Mind and post some pics when you are finished...

Reaction score
I like the 197 wheel, it's made of really nice leather like an M3 wheel. Quite like the centre marking too, useful for tarmac rallies. :roll:

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:
I think PaulTrophy002 (i think thats his user name) changed his wheel a while back so you could ask him or search for the thread. Also might be worth posting over on ClioSport as i reckon there might have been more people over there who have changed their wheel.

What wheel are you replacing it with Mat? What are you planning on doing with the cruise control buttons? I'd love to fit the wheel from the 197 but i've heard it wouldnt be that simple.

Mind and post some pics when you are finished...

I'm going to replace it with a Sabelt 330mm suede wheel, I did look into the 197 wheel as its very nice but would cost £800+ with the correct airbag. I then looked into the new racing wheel from the 197 clio cup car but only available with a blue suede top, its also a tad too small. I'm not bothered about the cruise control as I've never used it.

Pics to follow.

Reaction score
Did a google search on resistors and found a usefull site that explained everything I needed to know and confirmed that the resistors purchased from Maplins Croydon were not 4.7ohms but 470,000 ohms!

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/resistor.htm

Popped back today and got the correct ones which were a lot smaller in size!

And the good news is that they worked first time, no warning lights on my dash!

Happy Days (harnesses being fitted next week)!

Here's some pics .....

SabeltSteeringWheel.jpg

sabeltwheel1.jpg

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks excellent Mat, looking forward to seeing what you've done to the car in a couple of weeks 8)

Reaction score
Looks excellent Matt, I wonder if it would look better with red rather than yellow? Probably not. It matches the interior quite well because of the suede/alcantara looking similar. How does it affect the driving experience? I find the wheel a bit on the large side and having stupidly long legs wouldn't mind the extra space a smaller wheel would provide.

More importantly, how did you get your gearknob off to fit the Richbrook one? I would only swap it if I could put the old one back quite easily, I don't want to destroy it.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Looks excellent Matt, I wonder if it would look better with red rather than yellow? Probably not. It matches the interior quite well because of the suede/alcantara looking similar. How does it affect the driving experience? I find the wheel a bit on the large side and having stupidly long legs wouldn't mind the extra space a smaller wheel would provide.

More importantly, how did you get your gearknob off to fit the Richbrook one? I would only swap it if I could put the old one back quite easily, I don't want to destroy it.

The steering feels more weighted and direct now - I'm still getting used to it but so far I prefer it to the 380mm original bus wheel. Loads more leg room which which for me makes it easier to heel and toe.

I had to hacksaw my old gearknob off - which didn't bother me as it had peeled and looked horrid.

I've got a spare Renault knob so if I need to I can put the whole car back to standard (same goes for all my mods).

Reaction score
I'd love a 197 steering wheel. Would it be able to go straight onto a 182?

Reaction score
Ive herad that the 197 wheel does not fot on 182s, But was wounderin if the racing one out the clio 197 cup would? any body got any pictures?

Reaction score
Steve said:

Really think this would make a major difference to the driving experience for me. The standard wheel is too big and, having long legs, i find it gets in the way! Cruise control is nice to have tho!

Any pics of the 197 wheel?

Karl.

Reaction score
jimpey said:
Ive herad that the 197 wheel does not fot on 182s, But was wounderin if the racing one out the clio 197 cup would? any body got any pictures?

Yes this will fit no problem, although it is only available in black with half blue trim.

Reaction score
Thats very tempting, Dnt suppose any1 knows how much it is and if any 1s got any pictures

Reaction score
Hi 7Mat,
I would like to ask you how can I do to remove my steering wheel, I think I have to remove from the top the center side of steering wheel, how?

and after, how many cables are connected on the bottom of center side removed? How many cables need to be fixed with a resistence (airbag? claxon? speed control?)

I will chagne my steering wheel with a new one and I don't know how to start and what I will find into the steering wheel.

Thanks for give me some usefull information.
bye
Luca