Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm slowly bit by bit getting round to all the things I wanted to check/change on the T.

My question today is about bushes and mounts. I'm sure one of them (at least) needs changing but I have no idea what types there are. Bushes, engine mounts, dogbone etc. Any good guide on what and where each of them are?

First off, there's a squeaking noise coming from front right corner (I think) when I'm going over tiny imperfections in the road. Sounds like I imagine a rubber bush would sound like but I'm no expert. Any way of finding out what it is?

Also, what others generally get changed? Trying to prepare it for a Welsh road trip in Easter and need it in top form to see off my mates' cars ;-)

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Thanks Mikey, thats helped a lot!

Any easy way of telling if the squeaking from the front is wishbone bushes or anti roll bar?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Im guessing that the squeaking is coming from the Anti Roll bar bush.
When i bought my Trophy the first thing i was told was to pop the outer ones off and fill them with a decent amount of grease (NOT COOPER) and then pop them back on and then cover the inner ones as rubber will perish and start squeaking and banging.

If its not them I'm going for the Top Strut mounts as they are also a common failure, There was a small mod that renault done a long time ago with a spacing washer so be sure you get this in the kit when buying / changing them.

I have changed / will be changing the following on my trophy bush wise along with AST Solid Top mounts. The reason i went for the AST ones is you then do not need to drill the suspension torrent.

Front Lower Arm Bush Kit - PFF60-301
Anti Roll Bar Outer Bush - 23mm PFF60-207-23
Anti Roll Bar Inner Bush - 25mm PFF60-202-25
Power Steering Rack Bush - SMI Rack PFF60-331 (Black Series)
Rear Shock Upper Bush - PFR60-311
Dog Bone Mount Bush - PFF60-211K
Rear Beam Bush Kit - PFR60-310 (ONLY ONE I DONT HAVE)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have decided to bite the bullet and replace my engine mounts and gearbox lower twisted 'dogbone' mount to try and eliminate an unfound vibration / rattle noise. Given the T has just passed 129,000 miles and has had a strong history of mechanical work, I have got my hands on OEM upper engine and gearbox mounts and an Evol racing dogbone mount.

Wondering what symptoms others have had with weak and worn engine / gearbox mounts?

Understand some get a 'knock' but mine is more a scratchy vibration almost like the exhaust / manifold is not hitting anything albeit it is very close to something thus causing the resonance.

Once the mounts are fitted will provide feedback on the results.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
When my mounts perished I did notice what you'd describe as a knock and hard acceleration would feel a little... 'jumpy' (I can't think of another way to describe it). I fitted solid mounts to mine and, well, it's not ideal if you value your comfort in the cabin. Every engine vibration and rattle goes right through the cabin space! :tonguewink:

Reaction score
Even more so with the Evol bar fitted. I had one on for less than two weeks and swapped to powerflex bogbone kit.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm not overly bothered about internal cabin rattle, it's more engine and exhaust rattles that play on me as I always think something is about to die.

The attached image was the state of my upper mount and has reduced noise already without touching the gearboxes mounts.

Here's hoping when all three are replaced I can drive the thing without rattles and vibrations.

Attachments

• DSC_0176.JPG
    DSC_0176.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
When my mounts perished I did notice what you'd describe as a knock and hard acceleration would feel a little... 'jumpy' (I can't think of another way to describe it). I fitted solid mounts to mine and, well, it's not ideal if you value your comfort in the cabin. Every engine vibration and rattle goes right through the cabin space! :tonguewink:

I have the vibratechnic engine mounts fitted. It feels like the engine is bolted to your spine. I'm close to being diagnosed with vibration white finger.

Reaction score
I had Vibratechnics fitted when the engine came out last year- I get a slight vibration at idle which disappears when I blip the throttle, but once on the move the difference is phenomenal.
You do feel much more part of the car rather than being along for the ride.

Reactions: MC1
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have the vibratechnic engine mounts fitted. It feels like the engine is bolted to your spine. I'm close to being diagnosed with vibration white finger.

I was thinking of getting these for mine,but guessing you wouldn't recommend them for road use!!?? By the way I see your from Cumbria where about? I'm from Kendal,only seen another Trophy in Carlisle, one I went to test drive early last year.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was thinking of getting these for mine,but guessing you wouldn't recommend them for road use!!?? By the way I see your from Cumbria where about? I'm from Kendal,only seen another Trophy in Carlisle, one I went to test drive early last year.

Saint27 has summed them up well, the difference is phenomenal, for that reason I wouldn't change them. They reduce engine and gearbox movement considerably.

I live in the Dalton in Furness area. Trophys are a rare sighting around here, apparently, there is/was one that frequently parks at the climbing centre in Kendal, is it yours?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Saint27 has summed them up well, the difference is phenomenal, for that reason I wouldn't change them. They reduce engine and gearbox movement considerably.

I live in the Dalton in Furness area. Trophys are a rare sighting around here, apparently, there is/was one that frequently parks at the climbing centre in Kendal, is it yours?

No not mine,only had mine since the end of September and not had much chance to drive it recently,roll on the better weather,I'll be putting the engine mounts on my wish list!!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, before you commit to buying some give me a heads up and if you would like to take mine for a drive to see what they're like you're quite welcome.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, before you commit to buying some give me a heads up and if you would like to take mine for a drive to see what they're like you're quite welcome.
That would be great,I'll give you a shout when the weather gets a bit warmer!!