Boot Struts

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking for some boot struts for my Trophy. Seen a few people recommend BMW 1 series bonnet struts and others suggesting some SGS items. Anyone with any experience with either of these (or any others) that can offer some advise please?

Thanks

Reaction score
I have the same issue.......advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I guess most owners will only have advice on one or the other, I bought the SGS replacement which have been fine. They were never as smooth as the original boot don't foul the rear wing. it irks not to have the OE Renault parts but the cost differential means its a no brainer.

Reaction score
Thanks mate......just need assurance that the SGS ones fit & keep the boot open, already getting peed off having to keep it open with my head when loading / unloading it.

Stupid question......they're not handed are they ??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No stupid questions and all that.......... No they are not sided. Just make sure you buy the correct version, I wasn't very clear earlier, you will need the units with a shorter travel so the back of the rear wing does not contact the roof when the hatch is fully open.

TheSaint

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve recently bought the SGS ones after being peeved having to support the boot lid with my head or back when using the boot. I am pleased with them but I’ve have 2 sets, first set not powerful enough to lift the lid fully on their own. Second set (more powerful) seem to do the job better and only need manual assistance to push the lid to its full extent for the last inch or so.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've just ordered some SGS ones too - I'll let you know if I have the same 'power' issue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
perhaps a stupid question, but what height is the boot lid supposed to be at when fully open? I believe mine has SGS dampers, but it opens so it's only just above horizontal and won't go any further. It's about my eye height so I'm going to really hurt myself on it sooner or later!

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
perhaps a stupid question, but what height is the boot lid supposed to be at when fully open? I believe mine has SGS dampers, but it opens so it's only just above horizontal and won't go any further. It's about my eye height so I'm going to really hurt myself on it sooner or later!
This is how it is. It's because of the V6 spoiler, if it ran normal 182 boot struts the spoiler would hit the roof & crack/damage it, the tolerance is pretty fine. One of the Trophy foibles I'm afraid, you just have to get used to ducking into the boot.

Reaction score
I went for some SGS items too, and mine sound similar to yours. They open fine until
the boot is horizontal with the floor, then they need a little encouragement to lift a few more inches.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The SGS one's, if you've the right one's, are a slight improvement on OEM in terms of lift capability.. but as above, re the height - the boot is restricted by the spoiler... you'll eventually get used to ducking... lol

Reaction score
Few threads on slightly longer boot strut options as there is room for further boot opening.

A Trophy owner gave specs to SGS to make longer ones, but this was a few years ago so neither the buyer or SGS recall the specs (I asked both)

https://cliosport.net/threads/trophy-boot-struts.621918/
"I used sgs engineering for my trophy was annoying me having to bend over like an old man to get in the boot. I had mine custom made so they were longer than the v6 ones but slightly shorter than standard and still leaves enough space for the spoiler. Service was good and I think it was delivered the next day."

I measured 2cm of extra travel without fouling the spoiler / roof but didn't get a response when I sent this, along with the details of current boot struts fitted (SGS ones aka NitroLift) so I looked at potential alternatives available.

1 series bonnet dampers were an option, so I bought new SGS E87 BMW 1 series bonnet struts (£36 delivered, SGS code GSC1123)

Using the boot is much easier now; far less contorting required!

The fittings at the bottom ball are the other type (the one with a thin retaining clip/coil, rather than the flat surrounding clip) but when pushed on tightly, they have stayed in place since fitting several months ago (the other type of retaining clip/coil doesn't fit in, but with a good shove they clip on tightly without the retaining clip/coil)

old on left, new on right

C3B13489-92B6-4FC2-8A32-512BBCCE3CB7.jpeg

E94E11C2-7059-4663-8DC2-73F980804048.jpeg

A8F011CB-D70E-41D4-AB00-0B3E6F1D9C82.jpeg

4BC6AF13-663B-42EC-BF9C-E276CB72C989.jpeg

4056FC71-6D32-4572-BFE8-B422E720544D.jpeg

Caution when fitting and check the bottom ones are fully pushed on as the boot is fairly heavy and could cause injury if you're not careful (fitting guide suggests two people)

SGS may be able to make these with the other bottom fitment/clips if asked. My initial communications were very good regarding making struts to different specs, may be covid meant I didn't get a response when I finally got round to measuring and sending pics of the struts mine originally had fitted.

These could be the answer as they look to have the correct fittings top & bottom and slightly cheaper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142912216694

EF27A291-1BE7-42DC-BD53-A04CBEB6E43E.png

Reaction score
Trophy No.
From another thread, another option and cheaper too-

I've just sorted mine and for 100% clarification the part number you want for the MM ones is 430719067000.

I got mine from Mister Auto- http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/bon...yhNTkhKiPHfZziQT96TDXXD83KlFhPg4fNhoCTIjw_wcB

£10.60 + postage for posterity's sake so if you're paying much more then you're getting ripped off.

They hold the boot no problem, slows down a decent amount towards the end of the travel about perfectly.

Reaction score
From another thread, another option and cheaper too-

Thanks Patrick

The SGS E87 ones I fitted do require the boot to be pushed to fully open (they stay there, but a pain to have to do) the thread you linked was very useful as others experienced the same & have sent back to SGS to have pressures increased.

The MM ones you linked seem to work better and have the correct lower attachment in black; and cheaper as you said (y)