gac

Reaction score
I don't have the number of it yet so it's not easy to search the Register, but does anyone recognise this car and know anything about the history of it?

Reaction score
No, but with 87k id be asking for proof of Cam/Aux belts being changed and also proof of the dampers being refurbed, if they haven't been refurbed then chances are they will be fooked and will need a rebuild, circa £300 - £500 depending on company of choice!

gac

Reaction score
Yeah, I sent them a message last night to ask about the belts. Got a few more phonecalls I should be making today so they'll be at the bottom of the list as I think it's an "unlikely" purchase (10 hour round trip so it would have to be top notch for me to want it). Slightly concerned about the bonnet alignment too, looks a bit like it may have had a very minor bump, or could just need a bit of adjustment...

Much as I'd love a Trophy, if that's going to need over a grand spending on belt changes and damper rebuilds, it's not so much of a bargain :/

Reaction score
This is also on auto trader. I was looking at it the other day and I did notice the bonnet alignment too. I can't remember off the top of my head but you may find more info about belts etc on the auto trader ad.

gac

Reaction score
Ah yeah, I had my distance set too low to see it before so it wasn't showing up on AT. Unfortunately there's no more information on there about belts/dampers, and the pictures are the same set as are on eBay so can't see what number it is to check through the Register on here :(

Reaction score
I'm about to make an offer on a couple .. wish there weren't others looking at the moment too, would make it easier :eek: Maybe we should PM so we don't bid against each other, lol.

Viewed 2, both have a fair few little bodyshop jobs need doing, usual sticky seats & unsure of dampers. Can't decide what they're worth, especially if there's £1000 of tidy up to do.

Saw a lovely little blue 172 Cup at Shelsea Walsh with 90k and the guy only wanted £1900 - similar age/condition to the Trophies I'm looking at up for £4500, makes you wonder.

Once Harry's video is a bit more forgotten will the prices dip again? :confused:

gac

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't really looking for a Trophy. I bought a standard 172 as a dirt cheap runaround when I sold my Fabia, thinking I'd keep it for 6 months or so, be bored of it, and have a bit of cash saved up to buy something else. In the meantime, I've gotten to really like the 172 but it's falling apart on me so I'm looking around like mad for my next car. Top of the list was a black 182 with Cup packs but then I saw that Trophy for basically the same price as some of the 182 Cups I've seen and thought it was worth asking to find anyone who might have owned it before; being numbered it's a bit easier to find out the history with things like the Trophy Register on here.

Chances are I won't be buying it, it'll be a hell of a trip and if the damper rebuild is up to £500 then that could mean dropping up to a grand on it as soon as I've bought it which brings the price straight back up into the territory of lower milage, better maintained cars...

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Im only 15mins away from the garage but im away on holiday this weekend so i wont have time to check it out or go and actually see it for you.

Reaction score
I went to have a look at this at the weekend. It is number 78. Both headlights have been changed (Depo aftermarket ones) and there is a crease/crack in the paint on the N/S wing, which is then causing the wing to rub the paint off the headlight. The front bumper has some scratches. There is no sign of a service history book, but there was a receipt for the belts getting done at the main dealers at around 59k. It has a Milltek exhaust. Steering wheel not too bad. Wheels could do with a refurb and cheapo tyres on the front. Windscreen is also scratched. Hope this helps.

Bob

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new joiner today as I'm Trophy hunting.

I went to see the one near Kidderminster today and all I can say is beware!
The nearside front shock of damper may be gone as it banged like hell in any holes in the road, all the tyres are different makes (?!) and the air in flow pipe was just hanging loose in the engine bay all ripped up. Oh and the air con didn't work, and he still wouldn't dip under 5k.

Reaction score
Eek another buyer.. :eek:

The dealer 61k one? I went to see one in Wales & it needs a lot of bodywork bits, the abs was snatching & rear disks were shot as it had been stood, also missing the front lip spoiler, seat didn't tilt/return, manky s/wheel & looked like someone had tried to steal the spoiler & Trophy badges :(

The one in Yorkshire & the one in Hampshire might well be worth a look, I'm also in no hurry & will wait for the right car.

Reaction score
Ah yes, the front lip is missing off the 61k one too and has had a curious front end re-spray?!
Im guessing from my chat with him he's hoping for someone who won't look around it too much.

I need something fairly shariah as my old car got written off so would settle for a decent Cup if anyone knows one?

Reaction score
I went to see this yesterday. There is a wee dent at the passenger side rear. It looked a few different shades of red.drivers front tyre is very poor. Passenger front is a no name cheapo. It has decent Pirelli p zero zero on rear. Seats are good. Front bonnet is out of line badly on drivers side.it has no mot or tax. There are a few niggly scratches around the car. It has a trophy sticker on the bonnet and a numbered sticker on the rear hatch - are these standard?. There's a 6 disk changer and aftermarket head unit. Headlights are very black background and recent replacement of these was cited as why bonnet was squint. Brakes looked newish - flexi ends with shiney ends. Dealer pled ignorance of suspension. But did say money had been spent on brakes. All wheels were lightly curbed, just enough to be annoying. When pressed dealer would put new tire on front and would mot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also meant to say it has an aftermarket exhaust made and fitted by the dealers place a few years back. I think they were longlife exhausts franchise back then. But not 100% on that.

Reaction score
I took this car for a test drive yesterday. The engine and gearbox seemed solid enough but the car pulled to the right quite a bit. The dealer said that this was caused by the knackered offside, front tyre, and he might be right but I'd be worried that there was an underlying problem. To be fair the dealer said he would put two new tyres on the front for the buyer and that he'd provide a refund if the buyer still wasn't happy.

Reaction score
I went to look at a Leon K1 at this dealer a while back and was far from impressed. I also believe the previous owner of this trophy was caught drink driving in his works motor.