Reaction score
Took my car into a local garage today to try and get my brakes working properly and he hooked it up to the diag. machine that come up with a steering angle sensor fault. Which explains why i have an ABS, Traction and SERV light on the dash. This has occured because i disconnected the steering rack from the column.

His mate, a renault man, came down with his laptop and tried to reset the sensor but it won't return to default, it's stuck on minus8100 or something!? After i told him the full story of how i rejoined the rack, in trying to find the steering wheel centre, i may have broken something that basically sets the centre of the wheel with the centre of the sensor. There's two types apparently, one's a band, which i may have broke by turning the wheel from lock to lock trying to find centre, the other is two copper wires, which shouldn't cause a problem, but which one is fitted to the car he doesn't know till more dismantling takes place. He's kept the car overnight and will ring up to find how much a new sensor is tomorrow, which is a phone call i'm not looking forward to :?

can anyone shed anymore light to this rather complex situation!?
cheers.

ps. for anyone who read my other post, i tried bleeding the brakes with the engine running and a bar pushing down the brake pedal, but no air came out of the system. I replaced the rear pads also, and the brakes are still awful. The garage has used a suck type bleeding system and bled the whole system again and he think's they're better, but i'll be the judge of that....but of course the dash lights being on are most likely in relation to the angle sensor...*sigh*

Reaction score
Just in case someone has this issue and searches in the future. The issue is solved. The steering angle sensor was replaced at a part cost of £165. It then had to be calibrated using Renault software. No idea why it broke in the first place, but all the lights are off on the dash and no fault is registering now :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Currently suffering the same problemm, iirc the lights thrown own up relate to the brake pedal position sensor

Reaction score
ah well he didn't touch the brake pedal sensor, there wasn't a fault with it.

Expensive yeah, big plastic thing that the steering column runs through. Enables the ESP system to know which way the steering is pointing when calculating which corner to apply the brakes to.

Reaction score
I've got these 3 lights on mine now :(

Had the brake pedal sensor replaced and the brake fluid and now have the ABS, TC and SERV lights on.

I really don't want to pay another £165 for a steering angle sensor. This car is proving to be the most expensive car to run I've ever owned, and that's saying something.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Rick C196 said:
I really don't want to pay another £165 for a steering angle sensor. This car is proving to be the most expensive car to run I've ever owned, and that's saying something.

Try running a BMW 540Ci for a month or two... The Trophy saves me around £300 p/m at the mo... #-o

Reaction score
Get it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and you won't have to keep guessing. If it's a fault with the angle sensor it will show up.

Reaction score
stormduck said:
Get it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and you won't have to keep guessing. If it's a fault with the angle sensor it will show up.

It does #-o

Reaction score
Trophy No.
stormduck said:
£65ish?

Reaction score
I am also undergoing the same Serv + Abs and Traction. On starting the car one day they all appeared :) Interesting especially after the car is barely used ! Following diagnosis, issues were O2 sensor, Brake switch and Steering Angle Sensor ARGGG! Anyways, going to get everything sorted this weekend @SJM (Dan) with new parts followed by calibration! Will report next week...... fingers crossed