Reaction score
My car is now back from Ben, who fitted cams, modifed inlet and a re-map. His only concern was that as the car has only done 4,000 miles, all on the ex-factory full synhthetic oil, that the rings may still not be fully bedded in - wants me to use ordinary mineral for a while - and so installed a slightly less ambitious ignition timing map, which he will revise in due course.

First impressions are that the whole power curve has been lifted and filled out mid range - there is still the 5k kick. At the top end it is noticeably smoother. Idle is perfect for those of you who say it can not be with diferent cams - and I did see both profiles, so I know that they are different, they have more and faster lift. Oh, and mechanically the ideleis a quiet as standard.

Most interesting is that the engine sounds nosier, which is often a characteristic of combustion which has been optimised for power.

Pagids: For a long time I have been struggling with poor braking from cold when hill climbing (there is nothing one can do to get heat into the pads in advance) - after much research I went for Pagid RS15 (Grey - Ceramic )which although a 'race only' pad, without any anti-squeal backings, do have 0.50 coefficient of friction at cold, and 0.57 at 100C - which looks ideal. - rising to 0.62 at 600C, if ever necessary. For comparison the 4-2 starts at 0.4 and the 4-2-1 starts at 0.36. They took a while to fit as the back plates ends needed filing down to fit.

The first couple of applications felt like a mistake, but after going through a bedding in routine, they are amazing - abs kicks in without standing on the brake pedal, which had never happened before, even when competing in anger. So initial impressions are great - well worth the money (expensive) - no sqeals yet!, apparently they will be quite hard on discs, but produce much less dust than PF97. Will update in due course.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wierd, i'd just written a pm to you regarding this and if you'd had it done yet, cancel that.

Reaction score
Excellent update George, will be interesting to hear your reports once you are back using synthetic oil and a more aggressive timing map - do you know how long it will be until you go back to Angelworks to get this done?

I do admire your bravery with pad choice, going for a different compound than everyone else, but from your previous posts it is clear that you know what you are doing! As you have pointed out, my only real concern with these ceramic pads would be the rate at which they will eat your discs, and how this would be for someone like myself who covers 12,000 miles a year...

Reaction score
Good stuff George - it'll be interesting hear your thoughts on the pads once you've put some miles on them and also how all the engine work feels once the other map is on.

Reaction score
Interestingly I bought the pads from Competition Braking Products (racepads.co.uk) whose registered name is Bremsen Technik (UK) Ltd. Not only do they have a very informative website, but they seemed quite happy about my reasoning for the RS15, and said that they have supplied them before in similar circumstances.

Sadly i do so few miles that the revised map will not happen until at least October. In the meantime I know to within one mph what speeds i do on thre'hill' and so can monitor progress - may also find time to rr it, I have a before print-out.

Reaction score
I'm booked for the 9th with Ben for this work. :D Well only the cams and a re-map as I had the inlets done last time. Can't wait. :D

Third re-map though :x

George I've only done around 9,000 miles. Will mine also need this slightly less ambitious ignition timing map?

Reaction score
Asim - hard to say - check with Ben - will be very nterested in what he has to say and how yuo find the overall package. My view is that it is a very well balanced approach - just as the car should have been in the first place

Regards

Reaction score
Thanks George.

7MAT said:
How long did Ben need the car for?

Ben said it'll take one whole day to do mine. So I've decided I'm going to stick around there while its done. Will need to be there first thing in the morning.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
glad you went for the cermaic based pads, your reviews on their performance will be very interesting - i've been toying with the idea for a months or so now about doing the same..... the cam's will also be interesting although not sure how you'll tell the difference between the effects of the inlets and the effects of the cams and remap....

I await with baited breath lol..

Reaction score
Cue, you are quite right, the golden rule is to do only one mod at a time, but even that is not ideal as often the first mod, in whichever order you choose, gives the best results! As the logistics of getting the car to Ben were incovenient to say the least, I wanted to minimse the number of vsits, so I went for what Ben receommended as a good package.

Asim - why 3rd remap?

Reaction score
George K said:
Asim - why 3rd remap?

I've had it re-mapped everytime I've added a mod. The first one was with the exhaust and induction and the second one with the reworked inlets.

Reaction score
Sounds very promising mate & well done having the guts to go through with this work. :wink:

Was the mapping done @ RSTuning on their dyno?

Reaction score
Anyone thought of maybe adding an LSD to the Trophy?

Think I may get cams done next March or buy a different car?

HMMMMMMMMMM decisions.

Reaction score
LSD is a logical choice for competition - there are few options available commercially - Quaife or a couple of plate diffs - I work in the motorsport transmission world and we would not recommend plate type diffs for road use because of wear. - before any one asks we do not do anything suitable off the shelf and anything bespoke would cost a fortune. The Quaife option tends to get mixed reviews, as per the erratic Focus RS - the Torsen is similarish and is favoured for the Megane and Alfa Q2 -(the latter is sold by EB Spares for a modest £260!!) The main issue is that some of the alternatives are too bulky for the existing housing. One of my colleagues is very keen on the viscous solution.

To progress this any further we would need a gearbox and diff to measure - can anyone help?

Reaction score
A 200bhp Trophy with an LSD would make a pretty unbeatable FWD track machine.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
SpaceMonkey said:
Sounds very promising mate & well done having the guts to go through with this work. :wink:

Was the mapping done @ RSTuning on their dyno?

They're in Leeds so I doubt it - I think it may have been conducted by Paul of RS though as he has some sort of tie up with Ben iirc

Reaction score
Had the cams fitted yesterday. Took longer than I expected. I got there for 10.30 and finally left at 8 in the evening. :shock: A few minor delays but definatly well worth the wait. Thanks to Ben and John for all the HARD work.

The car pulls so much more harder. The most improvement I've felt from any single mod. (Second would be the maxogen). Alot more torque all over. No need for downshifts as it'll even pull hard in forth gear. And the sound is amazing now. Has that 'race tuned' sound from the CTR vtecs but better and louder and angrier. :twisted: :D

What are all you Trophy owners waiting for? Start saving now. :lol:
DSC00153.jpg

Work was a little more drastic than I expected. :shock:
DSC00154.jpg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Going up there in Thursday, am kicking myself for not getting this done but i can't really afford it at the moment and i wanted to stagger my mods a little.