Alternator issues

Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to ask some advice if possible. #356 is in for repair as i was getting a misfire. Renault have said the alternator is not charging the battery which is causing the ecu together confused and thus the misfire. But my question is, if the alternator needs changing, has anyone used a pattern part or is oem the only way to go? I mean it’s a alternator. A pattern part should be good enough and are a hell of a lot cheaper than a oem part. Any advice would be great on this. Also another issue is my gearbox is leaking oil. I have not had any issues with it previously. It doesn’t crunch or graunch or make any noises. Any idea what could be the cause of the leak? Seals? Failed circlip? Or bell housing? I’m hoping not to have to fork out for a new gearbox if at all possible. Thanks in advance

Reaction score

Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to ask some advice if possible. #356 is in for repair as i was getting a misfire. Renault have said the alternator is not charging the battery which is causing the ecu together confused and thus the misfire. But my question is, if the alternator needs changing, has anyone used a pattern part or is oem the only way to go? I mean it’s a alternator. A pattern part should be good enough and are a hell of a lot cheaper than a oem part. Any advice would be great on this. Also another issue is my gearbox is leaking oil. I have not had any issues with it previously. It doesn’t crunch or graunch or make any noises. Any idea what could be the cause of the leak? Seals? Failed circlip? Or bell housing? I’m hoping not to have to fork out for a new gearbox if at all possible. Thanks in advance

Regarding the alternator my Renault dealer replaced mine a little while back. They actually recommended using an equivalent to oem which was half the cost, which they got for me. It’s been absolutely fine since.

Reaction score
Regarding the alternator my Renault dealer replaced mine a little while back. They actually recommended using an equivalent to oem which was half the cost, which they got for me. It’s been absolutely fine since.

Did they say which brand Mark? Do you remember how much it was?

Reaction score
Did they say which brand Mark? Do you remember how much it was?

Hi I had a look at the invoice over the weekend. No details on there unfortunately other than the amount of £200. Did you have any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi I had a look at the invoice over the weekend. No details on there unfortunately other than the amount of £200. Did you have any luck?

Confirmed it needs a new alternator Mark. The choices were either RTX or Lucas via Euro Carparts. Renault direct for an exchange was a ruinously expensive Lucas refurb. So we have decided between me and the service manager at the Renault I use to go for the Lucas one. The difference between that and the RTX was £60, so I’ve gone for brand peace of mind. Next on the cards, why is my gearbox leaking ? Im so hoping for a driveshaft or selector seal and not a crack in the casing

Reaction score
Confirmed it needs a new alternator Mark. The choices were either RTX or Lucas via Euro Carparts. Renault direct for an exchange was a ruinously expensive Lucas refurb. So we have decided between me and the service manager at the Renault I use to go for the Lucas one. The difference between that and the RTX was £60, so I’ve gone for brand peace of mind. Next on the cards, why is my gearbox leaking [emoji31] Im so hoping for a driveshaft or selector seal and not a crack in the casing

So how much is the Lucas one? Hope the leak is an inexpensive fix.

Mine is going in later this month for a few jobs.