Reaction score
Absolutely gutted! After 7.5 years and 80k miles, I've had a coming together with a very solid old stone wall, and come off second best. Stuffed the NSF into the wall, no metal panel damage, airbags didn't go off, but the assessor stopped counting the damage at £3.5k without getting stuck into the steering system, which he suspected would need a new rack as well.

Really going to miss the Trophy, owned it from new, took it on a number of UK track days and three trips to the 'Ring. Let me down only twice, once with the cam cover seal leaking onto the belts and a few weeks back my battery died on me. Not bad for a £15k French hatchback!

I'll post an update in the register, with a few more details of the car in case it comes back onto the market.

I'll check back here from time to time to see if it does resurface, but for now, thanks for all the advice this forum has given me, particularly in the early days.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
A real shame to hear this Oli. Nearly did mine recently during the icy weather and just that made me feel pretty sick so appreciate how your feeling.

Reaction score
gutting bud :( Are you going to be selling off any of the parts? i would be interested in seats and other parts

Reaction score
A real shame to hear this Oli. Nearly did mine recently during the icy weather and just that made me feel pretty sick so appreciate how your feeling.

Aye, happened in the snow, just trying too hard to get too close to home. Was only a mile away as well... should have just parked up. Lesson learned though, don't tackle snowy hills with very worn summer tyres! Hope you and your T (and the 5) are all doing well!

For anyone interested in parts, the car is already with the salvage company - Copart 0844 375 0791

Reaction score
Agreed, when it was loaded onto the flatbed I was thinking I should be getting it back... but at the same time I also cleared out all my personal stuff, so I kind of knew there was a chance I wouldn't see it again.

The repair cost was calculated at a Renault dealership so the part costs would have been extortionate (£1200 for a damper, plus a wheel, tyre, bumper, fog light, fog light trim, wheel arch liner, wishbone, hub, splitter etc... it all adds up). The front crash structure did it's job but would have needed replacing on top of the stuff you can see. Admiral wouldn't let me buy it back from them, new insurance regulations apparently, and then the assessor said to me "I can tell you love your car, but you really should let this one go, it's taken a proper smack and the steering system still needs to be checked out..."

Reaction score
Sorry to read this. I hate the snow! Everything seems ok until it's too late. I had a few close shaves growing up in the lakes. As you said it is usually best to give up.

Seems like so little damage from the pictures in the link above, but then you can see that the top-mount has shifted which indicates many other bits will have had a good force put through them.

Just remember all the great times you had in the car. As an original owner what will you buy next?

Reaction score
Huge commiserations mate. Gutted for you.

I would echo what others have said: remember the fun times and look back on the good memories. The only comfort I can offer, having been through a similar loss of a much-beloved vehicle, is that focussing on what to get next takes a little of the pain away!

Chin up, and let us know what you are considering to replace it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and condolences!

Have nothing but love and respect for the Trophy, was a brilliant car, the trips to the Nurburgring and driving down to the south of France are memories that will stay with me forever. It's just lame that our relationship ended in this way!

As for a replacement, after owning the Trophy, well it had to be something rare and a bit special... so I got a '99 Subaru Impreza RB5. It's got the factory Prodrive kit so back in the day it was producing just under 240bhp and 260ft/lbs. Must admit, it has eased the pain somewhat, another really good fun motor which makes me smile each time I see it/drive it/talk about it! Bought a tatty one that had obviously been loved during it's lifetime, but just not for a few years (it hadn't been service for 3 years)... but it sailed through it's check-up service, still got shedloads to do like all the fluids, brakes, knocks from the rear end etc. but it's all worth it for the sound of that engine!

Reaction score
The RB5 is a good replacement. I still get calls for mine 3-4 years after I sold it. Therefore the price must be the same! Sorry to see all these Trophys written off. So many times i collected cars myself and brought them home to sell. Cracking cars, I suppose the odd mint low mileage unmodified one will turn up sooner or later.

Reaction score
How are they allowed to advertise this as 'lightly damaged' , 'easy to fix, bolt on repair' if it was written off by the insurance due to too much hidden damage under the car?

If it was easy to fix then it would be a bargain but I just do not see it...

Reaction score
Believe me. That's an easy fix the insurance wrote it off because Renault would rape them for the parts.

Whoever buys it off eBay dosnt have to buy the bits off Renault remember