182 Trophy, worth the extra dosh over a 172 Cup?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Megane Trophy R and need something cheaper and less valuable to run as a daily, but it still needs to be fun and fast (and I love Renaults). Primarily I don't want to load up the miles on the 275R as it's uber rare!

Been looking at 172 cups and 182 Trophy's, however the Trophy is over twice the price and whilst I understand the dampers are epic, it's not much different otherwise right? Would sticking loads of miles on it for work be pointless, hence looking at the 172 instead, which is a similar car but half the price? Personally I think the price of the 182 Trophy's has become inflated to a point which is not reasonable, but it's what people are willing to pay for them I suppose and it's always the same with special cars. I've seen some for 15k which seems nuts, or it's just traders taking the p*ss and trying to inflate the prices...

Anyway not to digress, if you guys can provide some feedback on the first part of the question that would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Not a bad car to have tucked away in the garage that Trophy-R :grinning:

Reaction score
Not a bad car to have tucked away in the garage that Trophy-R :grinning:

Thanks dude. Well that’s the idea I want to keep it mint as a long term investment I suppose, as well as toy!

Reaction score
Would suggest current advertised prices are more than “only”double for a trophy compared to a 182. So if your running it into the ground just buy a basic one.

What about just getting a regular Megane 250 or dropping to a 225?

Reaction score
I would get a 182/172 cup, if you just want something a bit fun, that won't loose you too much money, by putting loads of miles on it

Reaction score
Would suggest current advertised prices are more than “only”double for a trophy compared to a 182. So if your running it into the ground just buy a basic one.

What about just getting a regular Megane 250 or dropping to a 225?

I sort've wanted something cheap and the 225's don't seem to be as reliable, perhaps I'm wrong but I've seen a few exploded engines on them! It's needs to be under 10k or even 5k if possible. I've wanted a Clio Trophy for a long time I love them, hence one of these or a 172/182, but finding a non shagged example of the latter is hard!

I would get a 182/172 cup, if you just want something a bit fun, that won't loose you too much money, by putting loads of miles on it

As above!

Reaction score
In your shoes I'd buy a 172/182. You can pick up something really decent for 2-3k & wont need to worry so much about mileage killing it's value.

Reaction score
I traded in my 172 cup to get the trophy, I always thought the 172 engine was better than the 182, my cup had no ABS so I did have a few scary island incidents! In general I thought the 172 is great fun and just a bit lacking the finesse offered by the trophy’s handling when pushed. If I was in your shoes I would go for the cup everyday, it’s cheapness will just increase the grin factor

Reaction score
Bought a 172 Cup, it's pretty mint overall just a few issues and some downright shoddy workmanship to sort but otherwise good. I do still love Trophy's so perhaps one day i'll make the move and upgrade, but at this point I do not think I could outlay 8k on a Clio, especially given their reliability (the alarm on my 172 has been going off constantly since I bought it so it's just unlocked for the while until I sort)!

My Wife had a Clio like this years ago and it gave her nothing but grief, she's now saying ''I told you so!''