Will there be a 197 Trophy?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
We all know that Renaultsport will release a Cup version of the 197 in a years time or so, along with a hundred or so other packs and variants but will they relesase a Trophy version, perhaps at the end of it's run?

If so, what would people like to see in the Trophy version? I'll start;

White in colour with blue and yellow (F1 colour) decals,
17 inch dark grey or gloss black wheels, 5 spoke - very light (Possibly OZ).
2.2 litre Naturally Aspirated four cylinder (grunter) putting out around 220bhp and 180lb/ft torque - 85% of which available from as low as 2500rpm.
Severe lightening program, ripping out all sound deadening and a quick release removable rear bench, polycarbonate/GRP bonnet, tailgate and wings dropping kerb weight to 1150 - 1200kg.
Strut brace and extra chassis stiffening where applicable.
Limited-slip differential with electronic control and on-the-fly adjustability.
Uprated springs and dampers - tuned for fast road and trackday use, all testing done on UK roads, then further tuned on UK tracks (No Nurburgring!)
Uprated brakes with Brembo 6 pots at front.
Bespoke Bodyshell with Wider track and more aggressive flaring of wheel arches, Race orientated diffuser (and spoiler if necessary) to produce 60kg downforce at 100mph.
Really good Recaro full racing bucket seats.
Tow hook and Harness mounting points ready installed and exposed.
0-60 5.9 secs, 0-100 15.0 secs, top speed (who cares) 150mph.
500 - 1000 production run with dash mounted metal number plaque with Alonso's signature.
£18,000 - £20,000.

Over to you.

Reaction score
based on renaultsport branding, i'd be very surprised if a Cup, followed by a Trophy doesn't appear, a la Megane 225

Reaction score
sounds nice, but i dont think they will do a trophy version. defently a cup. depends how well they sell i guess

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cup version? almost guaranteed. A further improved version a few years later? highly likely. Will it be called a Trophy? I'd doubt it.

Reaction score
I hope not, purely because it'll avoid me explaining which Clio Trophy I've got in the future.

(As far as ownership goes, you can tell I'm in it for the long haul...)

G

stevegunnis said:
We all know that Renaultsport will release a Cup version of the 197 in a years time or so, along with a hundred or so other packs and variants but will they relesase a Trophy version, perhaps at the end of it's run?

If so, what would people like to see in the Trophy version? I'll start;

White in colour with blue and yellow (F1 colour) decals,
17 inch dark grey or gloss black wheels, 5 spoke - very light (Possibly OZ).
2.2 litre Naturally Aspirated four cylinder (grunter) putting out around 220bhp and 180lb/ft torque - 85% of which available from as low as 2500rpm.
Severe lightening program, ripping out all sound deadening and a quick release removable rear bench, polycarbonate/GRP bonnet, tailgate and wings dropping kerb weight to 1150 - 1200kg.
Strut brace and extra chassis stiffening where applicable.
Limited-slip differential with electronic control and on-the-fly adjustability.
Uprated springs and dampers - tuned for fast road and trackday use, all testing done on UK roads, then further tuned on UK tracks (No Nurburgring!)
Uprated brakes with Brembo 6 pots at front.
Bespoke Bodyshell with Wider track and more aggressive flaring of wheel arches, Race orientated diffuser (and spoiler if necessary) to produce 60kg downforce at 100mph.
Really good Recaro full racing bucket seats.
Tow hook and Harness mounting points ready installed and exposed.
0-60 5.9 secs, 0-100 15.0 secs, top speed (who cares) 150mph.
500 - 1000 production run with dash mounted metal number plaque with Alonso's signature.
£18,000 - £20,000.

Over to you.

So a larger engine over std car, f1 link, stroker engine with wider track and lightened? Hmm i think renault have made something like that before. :p

8)

Reaction score
Don't think Renault will ever produce a car as specialsed as the one you describe Steve, unless they have to do it for homologation...a la the Williams :wink:

I do expect to see a Trophy version of the 197, as far as I can work out the 182 Trophy has been a huge success.

Reaction score
Unless someone can put a projection showing that a project along Steve's lines would be profitable, the new guy running Renault, Carlos Ghosn will rule it out. Check the Renault F1 budget since he took over ;) Long term Trophy values will be safe, once they drop to around £8000 they will remain there a long time. There's nothing to prevent anyone buying a 197 and having a box in the garage full of 'unwanted parts'.

There will probably be a mild Cup and Trophy model next year. I have already had an enquiry!!

Reaction score
Speedline Freak said:
So a larger engine over std car, f1 link, stroker engine with wider track and lightened? Hmm i think renault have made something like that before. :p

8)

I was going to make the third option "Who cares if they do, it won't be as good as the Williams" just for you Stromba, but I thought you'd gone, having said "Let's just leave it at that".

Not a stroker, a larger bore would be required, the stroke on the existing lump is already stretched, but it's all just fantasy nonsense anyway, Renault would never go through the development costs of a new engine just for a limited edition unless it was for homologation purposes. :wink:

Just some of the other improvements would be useful though, especially the diet, but to be honest, we're better off just sticking with our Williams' or Trophy's until we can afford real cars.

P.S. I spotted some rust on the bottom of 002's nearside sill, KURUST is excellent stuff, kept my 205 on the road long enough to sell it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nik said:
Cup version? almost guaranteed. A further improved version a few years later? highly likely. Will it be called a Trophy? I'd doubt it.

aye, the only reason the clio and the megane are called trophy is because of the F1 manufaturers title I think. So unless another title - no more trophy!!

Reaction score
The name Trophy is used because it's the name of one of the race programmes. Cup and Trophy are used on the race versions of the road cars, nothing to do with F1.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
in which case there will probably be another Trophy in a couple of years.

I can see them developing a new engine in that time as the current lump is getting on so an all new 2ltr would be good that revs to 8k

with car mfts 'downsizing' their engines i cant see them doing a 2.2, a powerful new 2 ltr though would fit in the bigger models profiles.

Reaction score
Cue said:
in which case there will probably be another Trophy in a couple of years.

I can see them developing a new engine in that time as the current lump is getting on so an all new 2ltr would be good that revs to 8k

with car mfts 'downsizing' their engines i cant see them doing a 2.2, a powerful new 2 ltr though would fit in the bigger models profiles.

True, 3D cam lobe profiles are the way foward, a la Ferrari, for high-revving engines. None of this VTEC nonsense or coming on cam. A variable profile lobe that is moved along the rocker arm as revs increase, changing the timing and lift analogously so the valve openings are always matched perfectly to the engine speed. A few extra cc's would really help torque low down, but unlikely to be a different stroke/bore to the standard block.

I guarantee there will be a Clio Renaultsport 197 Trophy and it'd better be good with the competition that's going to be out there. Shame there won't be a MK III Clio V6 though, it would make more sense with the size of the car, hell, with all that space you could mid-mount a nice lightweight V8, failing that the Supercharged 3.5 V6 from the forthcoming 350Z supercharged would fit nicely. 380bhp in a RWD clio, yes please!