Reaction score
Hi there need alittle help please wanting to go on a track day (first time).

Ive got these choices

Oulton Park 60mile away
Elvington 83mile
Croft circuit 104
Donnington Park 120mile
anglesey circuit 138mile
Mallory park 140mile

Wanna know which one would you recormend
Also can you take passangers around the track i mean just 1 in passanger seat?
Anything special i need like helmet harnesses?

Would be clad of any help on this thanks
ben

Reaction score
This is where i did my first track day and it is a good track for what you pay easy to lean your way around as well. www.liverpoolmotorclub.com but the renaultsport track days are good to start on not to meney car on track at one time and well organized.

Reaction score
also what difference between group/sessions and open pit area.

amm

Reaction score
T21PHY said:
also what difference between group/sessions and open pit area.

the difference is with a open pit lane you go out when you want with a sessions pit lane you go out in a class like beginner intermediate expert and open wheel each session is about 10 to 15 minutes which is plenty of time if you are a beginner .

Reaction score
So advice would be go out on a session track day do you get pletty of time out on the track? like come in for half hour then back out for 10min and so on? what if the only day i could go was a open pit would it be difficult for a beginner? cheers
ben

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Open pit is better in some ways as its more flexible, but the sessioned days they do at Donington work really well. 20 min sessions split into begginner, intermediate and advanced skilled groups. 20 minutes of driving every hour is just right really. By the time you get back in, grab a drink and cool down, you're almost ready to start getting your helmet back on and lined up ready to go out again. I think this suits a beginner better really, and if you pick things up quick, they will happily move you up a group - say from beginner to intermediate.

Open pit would also be fine for a beginner, you just have to pic your times and probably best to avoid the first 45 mins or so when everyone goes out as it can get a bit busy. As the open pit days go on though you'll find that theres very rarely too many cars out on track.

Most days run a max 50mph first 20 mins or so at the beginning of the day to let people familiarise themselves with the layout of the track, or a Ducks and Drakes session where you follow a course car round in groups to see the lines.

Reaction score
Thanks again nik i'm really keen on the idea so most likely to try donington. Thanks
ben

Reaction score
How does insurance work out on track days?

I'm up for a track day but it will be my first time and i would also class myself as a beginner. Not to sure about taking the trophy though think ill have to buy a cheaper car and strip it out. - got a saxo vtr but i doubt that this is powerful enough.

Reaction score
Insurance

Good question about insurance, I've wondered what might be available at different track days or not?

Reaction score
I sort out my trackday insurance through http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/

Works out about 1% of you cars value, and the excess is about 10% of the insured value.

Donnington would make an awesome first trackday, not done it myself, but the Craner curves look legendary.

I've only ever done open pit-lane days, I've always thought that they offer better value for money, and you can go out on track as often as you like.