Reaction score
when i insured my trophy last year i mentioned to direct line it was a trophy 182 and they went of to some department to get a car grouping for it, 182 was not good enough prob shouldnt have said anything but they ended up listing my car as a citreon bx or something and it put premium up by 50 quid. what are other peoples listed as on tesco, egg and direct line (ALL THE SAME) tempted just to change it to 182 3dr standard online and save 50 quid. cant see them not paying out???

Reaction score
somebody said

It should be in their system as Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy (due to it being insurance group 17 compared to 16 for the other 182's). If you do the online quote you can select it.

Reaction score
its not there i assure you, and was not last year. i think i will just put it through as 182 3dr not my problem?? i suppose i can say i selected the closest and most accurate match

cross posted on cs

Reaction score
I'm with direct line, and my policy says:

Renault Clio 2.0l TROPHY 182.

I'm looking at my cert' right now (Got to take a copy in post merger to prove my business use to claim odd bit of mileage)

I would make very sure you select the right car, as it is a different group and you could be on a sticky wicket. They could try and invalidate your insurance if you claim, or argue the toss and drag your claim out as a best case scenario. For the few extra quid, get it sorted. It'll be more likely they try to invalidate if you make the selection yourself on the net, but you might get away with it if you quote and the person in the call centre makes the error after you give them the correct details.

Basically, don't risk invalidating your insurance and potentially losing your car, house and license when you shunt a Maybach because there's a wasp in the car. Bit extreme, but I hope you see my point!

Reaction score
Speak to them over the phone and explain what model it is. I am insured with Admiral and despite me telling them it was a Trophy my first insurance certificate stated the car was a 182 Cup; having phoned and moaned and told them again it was a Trophy, amended documents came out stating it was a 182. After much arguing and heated conversations with them (and explaining that my car shows as a Trophy on their website) they finally changed the policy and said that'll be an extra £45 please.

I politley informed them as it was their error and I had recorded calls (made from work) stating it was a Trophy from day one they waived the additional fee.

The most important thing to take note of from this is that a 182 Cup or Full Fat is group 16 insurance, whereas the Trophy is group 17.

Reaction score
You have to make sure it is registered as a 182 Trophy... even if when they type in your registration number it comes up as a 182.

I had the same issue with Directline: gave them my rego and they put it down as a 182. Told them it was a Trophy and it went up £50.

Currently with Greenlight which are £800 cheaper than Directline for my quote (agents for highway insurance). Greenlight did actually 'see' my car as a Trophy when I gave them my registration number.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
yep, everyone is right, the Trophy is a limited edition that potentially attracts more track-orientated / fast road drving and is one insurance group higher than the standard 182, make sure it says Trophy on the insurance certificate or it will be invalidated at claim time.

It's no different to insuring a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale as a normal 360, except our cars are slightly quicker in the 'twisties'. :wink:

Reaction score
I double-checked this when I changed my reg, as mine said "182 Tro..." and was down as Group 16. I checked this 'half word' was Trophy and even told them it was actually a group 17, and asked them to put on file that I had drawn this to their attention, but they still haven't charged me more money...

Reaction score
ASDA insurance list all variants of Renaultsport 182's but had problems when I put my number plate in - came up as either a Trophy or regular 182. If I left the plate out, I could choose 182, 182 cup or trophy - had to phone in the end to get it right (still got the online discount and very helpful).

Interestingly they accidently gave me a quote on a Trophy when on the phone by accident - came up £100 on top of the £533 I'd been quoted. I would have said that this would be due to the cost of replacing the suspension - a part very easy to damage in any type of usual car related impact.