Reaction score
Hi,

Ive posted this here as I know I will not be getting any biased comments. I am currently on the search of a new car and have narrowed it down to the Civic Type R or the Astra VXR. I like the styling on both, loving the performance figures on both, and when test driving I liked them very much the same and could not decide on which one.

So ive come here hoping to come to a decision after gettin some views from yourselves. what car would you choose out of the two and why it would be a better option than the other???

Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend over the next few years?

Type R has taken main depreciation hit while a VXR has not and will surely come out worse where retained value is concerned.

My money is on the Type R.

O.

hyb

Reaction score
Have you driven both?
I'd say on looks alone the VXR has the civic beat. I've not driven a vxr but I have the type-r. I couldn't get along with that lifeless steering. If your after a car to thrash around a track every so often I'd get a type r. But overall if you'd be using it as an everyday car I'd have a VXR.

VXR VXR VXR! too many breadvan type-r's on the road as it is :)

hyb

Reaction score
Plus the type-r will be out relatively soon, the old one's looking dated, while the vxr looks wicked

hyb

Reaction score
My brother also says VXR. He's a Type-r nut case and said is there even a choice? vxr all the way

Reaction score
VXR or wait for the new Civic Type-R (or even RR!) to be released. VXR looks better and has more power...

Reaction score
Yeh I have been worried about the depreciation factor on the cars and obviously the type r will drop a lot in price meaning more chavs will have their hands on it lol.

Looks like its gonna have to be the VXR, even though i did love revving the nuts off the type r but the feedback from the steering was very poor.

Thanks for the comments lads, any good VXR Forums you know about.

Reaction score
How about a Golf GTi, I know its a bit more than the VXR but I think its worth a look? I took one for a test drive the other weekend, it had the DSG gearbox and I loved it. It was like a mature Trophy and I forgot the engine was turbocharged ,its that good. Its got me thinking.

Reaction score
I do like the Golf GTi, but feel its a car that a lot of people will have in given time as to its good reputation but i guess it would be worth a test drive.

Reaction score
Civic Type R's have good gearboxes and great engines if you drive hard but not for all tastes.

Astra's are well Vauxhalls, if you're going to get a heavy turbocharged car then buy the Focus ST, it's quicker than the VXR or Golf GTI and a lot better than both.

There have only ever been three good vauxhalls and they were built by Lotus and Holden (Carlton, VX220 Turbo and Monaro).

Read the car magazines and then decide the best thing to do is buy a Trophy, it has all the bases covered and isn't bettered by any of the other cars in any respect and you're obviously not a badge snob or you wouldn't be considering buying a Vauxhall. You know it makes sense.