Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
eljeffo64 said:
Mmmmmm . Kinda making it into "not a Trophy" why not sell it, buy a cheaper 172 and mod that?

FLOL. Its that type of comment that i was warned to expect on this website :lol:

The Trophy part of a clio is the suspension, that is all.

Personally, as Matt says 184bhp is high for your mods, i would expect more like 175 on a reliable rollers. TB's at £3.3k, no thanks & 230bhp. Oh Rly.

JMS RS inlet will give you a genuine 190bhp or so, & costs about £1700 fitted & mapped. Combine that with some decent cams (c&b's) for example & you'll not only see over 200bhp, but you will retain the clio power characteristics & great fuel economy.

S/C or Turbo doesnt do it for me tbh. I'd rather sell up & buy an R26/Evo/etc.

If your not on http://www.Cliosport.net, id join, far more info available than here :D

What is this JMS RS inlet thing? cant just be matching the inlets for that price surely...? 190bhp for £1700 seems good value to me

Reaction score
Sam_K said:
http://www.Cliosport.net[/url], id join, far more info available than here :D

What is this JMS RS inlet thing? cant just be matching the inlets for that price surely...? 190bhp for £1700 seems good value to me[/quote:3111j4p5]

Sam join up on www.cliosport.net it pains me to say do it for so many reasons and look at there trade section.

They are very good mates of mine as I run Stealthsport LTD and there kit is very good value :)

Reaction score
Choosing a tuning option really does come down to personal choice, some people love screaming their car to the red line in every gear, to which a ITB kit would be most rewarding, some love big fat torque curves found in turbocharged setups and others prefer superchargers as it's in between the two.

The problems are extracting any increase is expensive, especially if you want to do it properly, for example a good ITB set up requires cams, so you can add at least another £1000 to your £3000 ITB bill you may be lucky and see as much as 210bhp and 170lb/ft, however at £4K it puts you into the same price bracket as a SC kit, which will see you at around 250bhp and 210lb/ft. beyond this level and you need to start looking at uprated internals which starts to complicate things as not many people are comfortable pulling their engines to bits, and labour charges are astronomical for this kind of work.

I know Jon claims to be putting out high HP but he's not posted up any dyno printouts, as such I'll reserve judgement on it till we see some hard proof, however I can tell you that Paul at RStuning has really pushed the boundaries with his kit and his findings (bearing in mind that he's tested his to destruction) and Jons (achieved this amazing output after one mapping session) dont tally up. It's not a go at Jon but a case of how dynos differ. I'd be interested to see it at RStuning as I regard Pauls as one of the most accurate dynos around.

As for selling up and buying an R26, evo, impreza etc.... change the record, if people wanted an evo or R26 they'd probably of bought one, I love listening to the ramblings of how amazing these cars are yet stock for stock there's not a great deal between any of them, and a tuned clio (SC/Turbo) blows them into the weeds. You'd have to spend a lot on either to show a 260+bhp clio a clean pair of heels.

Apologies if I come across as a bit of a bell end, but I'm one of the few original people who've owned their Trophy from new and still loves it 5 years down the line, and having looked at every other hot hatch out there, theres nothing more I'd rather have parked in my garage than my little Trophy :D

Reaction score
StevieH said:
... theres nothing more I'd rather have parked in my garage than my little Trophy :D

Very true - and I have a Sport Evo in the garage.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tinker said:
StevieH said:
... theres nothing more I'd rather have parked in my garage than my little Trophy :D

Very true - and I have a Sport Evo in the garage.

Yes but it is a 290bhp monster of a Trophy ;-)
I agree with your thoughts on the JMS setup though like you I would like to see more.
Any news on the dampers?

Reaction score
Yea i think its about that i join on there now cheers Matt, by the way when is your website going to be up and running? Would be interested to have a look

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The JMS setup, certainly looks cool and from the videos makes the car sound great. Still think this is an awful lot of money to spend on any car though. Would love to try it though

Reaction score
What do you get for £1700 from JMS?

I've seen a car on CS with a 197 inlet fitted, needs a little work but apparently works very well + you can actually change plugs without dismantling the whole engine!!! lol

Reaction score
it wasn't that long ago established tuners like LAD Motorsport and BRM/GTi Enginerring were tuning engines via the polishing and porting, gas flowing + probably new cams route? Reasonably time consuming and therefore reasonably expensive for non-turbo cars. Does this still go?

Reaction score
tom@JMS said:
This:

FCS1017of74.jpg

:twisted:

Looks very nice, but what is the torque curve like, and do you have problems with needing to compensate for mixture between cylinders - was involved in some F3 engines several years ago and that was the problem with an airbox with the entry at one end, afterthe t/b.

Reaction score
That looks pretty impressive! and doesn't require slam panel removal!

What are the power outputs like?

That's a really good point George, it would be interesting to see how this balances.

So do you get a re-map included in the price?

And does this require cams etc to get the best from it?

Reaction score
As you cant read the JMS section of CS unless you are a member, i've sent Tom@JMS a text asking him to reply to this thread for you all ... 8)

Reaction score
Some interesting questions. I'll answer them a little later, for now here is a power graph.

Standard 182, Vs 182 with decat & the 'RS2 Manifold'.

http://www.jmstuning.co.uk/Forum%20Imag ... ng%203.JPG

Some Bumpf from the product thread on CS:

The RS2 Manifold as it has been named, is a ground breaking product for the ph2 range of RenaultSport Clios.

Traditional NA tuning methods surrounding the 2.0 Litre Renault engine involve extensive & costly changes to either the engines internals, or via ITB (Individual Throttle Body) kits that seldom work with the cars existing layout; sacrificing both physical parts or functions.

Designed to protect as much of the vehicles standard mechanical architecture as possible, this kit removes the requirement for permanent alterations and raised cost for the customer and yet still achieves power and torque increases only usually achieved through ITBs. The non permanent nature of the parts also maximise the cars resale value due to the minimal work required to return it to standard.

Products key features:

- Direct replacement for the stock intake manifold.
- Provides a significant increase in performance across the RPM range.
- Performs at output levels close to existing ITB kits.
- Requires NO modification whatsoever to any aspect of the car - both electrical & mechanical such as scuttle panel cutting, bonnet pins, wiring etc.
- Speaks the cars native engine management language through the use of the existing ECU, Sensors & DBW throttle body.
- Retains all the features of a standard car including smooth idle, cruising MPG, Cruise control etc etc.
- Can be returned to a fully standard Vehicle within 4 hours to protect the cars full resale value should it be desired.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
George K said:
Perfect torque curve!

Hang on a sec I think I can draw a more perfect line. Interesting that it doesn't fall off the planet after 6500 but neither does the "normal" 182!

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

Looks very nice, but what is the torque curve like, and do you have problems with needing to compensate for mixture between cylinders - was involved in some F3 engines several years ago and that was the problem with an airbox with the entry at one end, afterthe t/b.

No in a word, the product has been developed to minimise imbalance between cyclinders. The key problem I had to overcome was generating good midrange & low end torque with such a short runner length (the length of the 'pipes' that lead to each individual cyclinder) It's now a lovely car to drive, very smooth & strong throughout the RPM range. Plus it screams along nicely with a lovely soundtrack ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOWYLQo ... r_embedded

Couple more images for you to take a look at:

http://www.jmstuning.co.uk/Forum%20Imag ... UPLOAD.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/m ... 16of74.jpg

We are also developing a new kit called the RS2 'Xtra' (catchy ay ;)) which should be able to achieve 200bhp, however it requires a more significant alternation to the cars engine compartment to fit it in.

Reaction score
Answers in bold:

trophy380 said:
That looks pretty impressive! and doesn't require slam panel removal!
Nope, doesn't need anything to be cut away.

What are the power outputs like?
190-195bhp, 147-155 lb/ft car dependent.

That's a really good point George, it would be interesting to see how this balances.
You never will 'see', but trust me it is balanced ;)

So do you get a re-map included in the price?
Yes, a live remap at RStuning.

And does this require cams etc to get the best from it?
No, but of course cams = more output