Ajr

Reaction score
Yeah i think it sounds like i do. There's no visible leaking but i've heard of stories on clios where the rear dampers break up inside and almost seize. And i know the fronts are really due a refresh as my car's on 50k now.
Thinking of replacing the rears with koni adjustables as i've read of a few people doing it, they're cheaper than the sachs ones and of course allow a bit of adjustment. It's annoying because i've spent all of my savings building a new track car, the trophy cambelt still needs doing, add the rear konis and front damper rebuilds on top and it's gonna cost a lot! Plus i don't have a reliable spare car to use for work! Will book a few weeks off end of jan and sort it i guess.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Is Mark Fish the only guy to get the Koni adjustables from as I was looking to replace the rears with the standard Sach's dampers but I would prefer the Koni adjustables ?

Will this affect the geometry ? ie, will I have to get the geometry re adjusted after the Koni's are fitted ?

Ajr

Reaction score
As the rear has trailing arms in theory the geometry won't be affected at all providing the ride height stays the same.

Motorsport world quick code: 83240

Should do the job.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So im assuming the Koni's will be an improvement over the Sach's units.
Which brings me to the question, why did Reno not fit stiffer rear dampers to the Trophy in the first place ? Is this more of a Track based setup ?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
in a nutshell - cost. Also the tie-up that reno have with sachs prevents them from using koni's on the rear. 7mat has rear adjustable koni's on his - he rates them highly.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Contacted BG Motorsports yesterday about the damper service. Had no reply yet but im sure ill get one soon.

Where is the best area under the car to support it on axel stands for a few days while the dampers are removed ?

Ajr

Reaction score
Seeing as one of my jacking points has decided it wants to bend slightly, i'd recommend that you use the subframe for axle stands!

My car's getting worse, had some dodgy noises coming from the suspension past few days, need to get some 182 cup dampers to put on for a while so i can take the sachs ones up for a refurb!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers mate. I noticed some box section under the car directly below the front seats on either side. Looks a good place to support it from.

Your car sounds really unhealthy ! Hope you find the problem some time soon. I was going to ask you what sort of noises you were hearing but I guess it would be pretty hard to describe eh ?

Ajr

Reaction score
All sorts of noises really, it was ok if a little clunky over really big bumps & potholes when i got it 10k ago, that was definitely a balljoint noise, at least the steering felt right and it was great to drive. I only drive it to work and back and the odd weekend blast, commute to see bird etc. I don't drive it hard really, which is why it annoys me more. I know i should stop driving it but i can't work otherwise, my 205 has no MOT, 106 has no engine or seats in it :lol: Will get it sorted ASAP as i used to love the car, but i now don't look forward to driving it and miss out on going to see people because i don't want to drive it unless necessary! :roll:

Anyway i'll keep this thread updated.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben is going to service my dampers next week. Wohoo ! :D

Time to order some solid top mounts and Koni adjustables....

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Speaking of Solid Top Mounts, Will these affect geometry at all ?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bloody nightmare trying to get hold of a 21mm ring spanner to remove the top mount nut.
Went to B&Q, Homebase, a local motor parts shop, Then went to Halfrauds as a last resort and found one...£8.49 for a ring spanner !!! Sod that. So I filed down a 21mm socket so I could get an open ended spanner round it. Voila !

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My dampers have been done !

Ben has serviced both the front dampers and replaced the dials. He said the pins which reno put in were missing and water was getting in. ( I removed then when I unpinned the dampers.) He also said the internal part which the dial turns was bent so that was replaced also.
I asked what condition the dampers were in before. He explained that one of the dampers was low on pressure and the other one had air in it :shock:.

Both dampers were put on a dyno before and after and now they now match up.

Excellent service and im sure ill be happy with the results.

The cost was £440 including delivery.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does that mean they are "re-pinned" again now? When i originally got in touch with him he said he could supply new "blue" dials but it was on the understanding that an unpinned damper wouldn't be used on the road.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No idea Hoolio ill let you know when I get them back on Monday.

I guess he has just put new unpinned dials on. Blue dials are fine for me.