Reaction score
Just how fast can you corner with these things? I think i'm having to re-learn my entry speeds into corners. I entered a roundabout today with no drop in my approach speed and flung it out the same road I came in with nothing more than a bit of squeaking from the tyres. It really is quite staggering how much speed you can turn-in with. You really don't need to slow down for anything but switchbacks, and keeping it on the boil in second with 5000 on the tach (50 mph) and nailing the throttle just before the apex, fires you out the other side like you've been hit a home run with a gigantic baseball bat.

It just leaves you with a huge grin on your face and going back to do the roundabout again. Never has a learning curve been taken so fast.

Anyone else re-doing roundabouts? I can't wait to take it on a track, that way I'm bound to find some understeer.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
oooohhhh yes, Staggering cornering ability I totally agree. It'll be interesing to see how it copes on other rubber though. From what i'm told, a lot of the ability comes from the specially developed pilot's.

Reaction score
Coming to my Trophy from a 172, I still can't believe how much faster I can attack corners, like yourself I had to re-learn how to tackle my favourite corners, much higher entry speed and getting on the throttle much earlier.

I find things can get a bit scary over large crests whilst cornering, when the suspension is unloaded. Anyone else experienced this? I am not sure if this is due to the way I have my camber set up, and the car handles so well the rest of the time, it is not something that really bothers me. It just feels like the car goes strangley loose and wobbly, more than any of my other cars in the past...

As for understeer you will definitely find it on a trackday, but it is a fwd car so it is only to be expected. I found it was quite easy to drive around it, and despite the high levels of grip, the tail is still quite adjustable so you can still have plenty of fun on track.

Reaction score
On the road I find it takes corners so well and you can push more and more. However on the track I suffer way to much understeer. Probably down to my driving skills!?! I've got a driving day on monday where hopefully i'll learn something to help me on the track.

Reaction score
Jezza - certainly there seems to be lots of understeer in slow tight corners, but then it is front wheel drive. Will be interested to hear what you learn from the driving day - need all the help I can get before Dunkeswell on the 12th.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you're taking corners too quick on the track, slow in fast out works better - keep it around 5k revs. It's v difficult to judge where the limit is because of it's high capabilities, the limit does come very quickly.

Reaction score
I am sure, but this is a very slow tight track (even for go-carts) and need some speed or the times are useless - straights very short! Agree that there is a compromise and did one good time when taking it gently, but next attempt was far too slow - hence my interest in the feedback from the driving day. To give you an idea we are talking about 3.0 - 3.5 k in 2nd - 1st only aggravates things. No understeer at Wiscombe unless greasy.

Reaction score
Cue said:
oooohhhh yes, Staggering cornering ability I totally agree. It'll be interesing to see how it copes on other rubber though. From what i'm told, a lot of the ability comes from the specially developed pilot's.

I don't think the Pilots are specially developed for the Trophy although I do believe they are special ;)

O.

Reaction score
hell yeah there special,,i switched t cheaper ones and am regretting it totally....i have no bottle on rounda bouts, but still beat most stuff.....which is saying something for the rest of the car......only use exaltos!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
There's no way I'm switching to other tyres, I might stock up on a few sets just in case they stop making them!

They WERE specially designed for the Trophy, it says so in the Renault literature and EVO magazine.

They've got so much grip and feedback and seem to wear really well too, and as for the wet-weather stability, that's something else, I went through a lake on the concrete section of the M25 at 90 and it didn't aquaplane at all. If you look at the tread pattern though it's pretty clever, lots of grooves for water clearance on the inside and treadblocks on the outside that squash together under load to provide a slick-like contact patch when cornering.

Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's all the way!

Reaction score
you reading the wrong literiture....there for the base 182..as when it came out....my 182 full fat came with em...befor the trophy came out

Day

Reaction score
Exalto's were not designed for the 182, it's pure marketing crap.

It's a mass produced tyre. Costco sell em with the soft sidewalls for a start.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No they weren't designed just for the 182, but they were designed by Michelin in partnership with Renault (and some other manufactures if i remember correctly). The 182 was the first car to be sold with them fitted.

There was never 2 versions of the tyre though as is often claimed. They are all the same, no stiffer sidewalled variant.

I'm reluctant to fit anything else, all round they are an excellent tyre.