Reaction score
Went to change the the oil in the Williams this afternoon, and I could not get the old oil filter off, and I just wanted to see if anybody knew of any special tatics for removing the filter.

The best access I could get is in the three inch gap between the block and the radiator, but I could not get the wrench onto the filter due to the limited space and pipework that surrounds the filter, and I could not get a good enough grip with my hand to undo the damn thing either!

Please help! :?

Reaction score
Took my trophy to get some mobil 1 in last week and the garage had same problem might be the same block ? in the end they had to get the apprentice to do it cos he had hands like a gerbil to get at it :lol:

Reaction score
Thats bad news for me as I was planning to change the oil in the Trophy next weekend! Looks like I'll be spending next Sunday cursing the Renault design/packaging department for the second week in a row! :lol:

Reaction score
I'm with you, whack a screwdriver through the filter and then use the screw driver to get the leverage to get the filter undone! Cheers for the tip, will give it a go! :D

Reaction score
Years of weight training and a rubber glove works for me.

Attachments

• S5030124.JPG
    S5030124.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • S5030120.JPG
    S5030120.JPG
  • S5030119.JPG
    S5030119.JPG
  • S5030117.JPG
    S5030117.JPG
Reaction score
TheJesus said:
you can almost lift your massive head now cant you? ;)

best thing to do is pay someone else to do it

My ego is out of control. But then i have the looks and talent to go with it. Unlike some

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Goes and gets popcorn
popcorn.gif

Play nicely guys :D

Reaction score
I've watched the guy from my garage do it and the easiest way is when the car is on big ramps you just reach up and it's a piece of piss between rad and engine, problem is most people don't have hydraulic lifts at home :p

Wouldn't bother with the screwdriver method either, I treid it and made a right mess, plus why would you want all the crap coming out the filter back in the the engine, I could see that happening.

I got mine off easier with a filter wrench, the chain type from local Motor place.

Reaction score
Cheers FM, got it sorted now, got myself a Draper adjustable oil filter wrench - http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.a ... &pid=42518 made this job so much easier! :D

The problem I was having was that lying on my back under the car, I just could not get the chain wrench over the filter, but the new wrench I have is damn easy to use, just set it to size on the new filter going in, release it, and then clamp it onto the filter coming off, nice and easy!