Trophy tyres

Discussion in 'Clio Trophy Discussion' started by ChrisB, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ChrisB

ChrisB

Almost through first set of Exaltos after 4 track days with the Trophy, and thought I'd post up details of other makes that come in the same 205/45 size :
    Bridgestone Potenza S-03PP
    Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    Pirelli P Zero Nero
    all come in 16"
    So there are some decent alternatives if there are no Michelins to hand when you need them.

2. Day

Day

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-03's are a decent alternative too

3. amm

amm

do not by the bridgestone potenza as thay do not grip in the wet and after 5000 miles of normal driving not track day youse thay need replacing :roll: :roll: :roll:

4. mr StinKa gob

mr StinKa gob

If you want to go fast get the softest tyre you can afford.

5. strike

strike

Is there any grading to the softness of a tyre, or do you just have to know which is softer than the other?

6. fazedesign

fazedesign

I'm pretty sure there is - it's some of the numbers/letters on the side (not the 205/55R15 designation though - that's just size and speed rating)

Can't remember which refers to characteristics of the tyre - i'll post if I remember

7. ChrisB

ChrisB

Thanks fazedesign, I'll take a copy of the detailed tyre diagram from the second link when I'm buying.

8. George K

George K

I have also heard that the Yokohama Parada spec 2 is recommended. The hardness of the tyre is approximated by the treadwear index number - I think the PE2 is either 220 or 240 (typical of a high performance road car) Many track tyres are as soft as 50, which leads me to my next question, for as far as I can find out the only track tyres in this size are the Kumho Escta V70A and the Hankook (RS2 which has a treadwear index of 200 - I bought a set for another car and they are too hard). I need something suitable for sprints and hillclimbs, which only last about 50 - 70 seconds, so the softer the better.

9. ChrisB

ChrisB

George, it says on one of the above links that this indication of the softness / hardness of the tyre can only be used to compare tyres from the same manufacturer.
    Do you know if this is really the case, or would 200 on a Yokohama be roughly the same as 200 on a Dunlop, say ?

10. George K

George K

I agree that the ratings are not necessarily consistent between manufacturers, but on another car they were very similar acroos Pirelli, Michelin andGoodyear. They will certainly give you an 'order of magnitude' feel for the type. For instance general purpose road tyres seem to be 280 - 300, rather thna the 200 - 240 for high performance tyres.

11. andrewlevitt

andrewlevitt

tyres

just replaced tyres with goodyear f1s.car much better in wet best thing I have done for ages.
    dont replace with michelins which are expensive and not as good grip is amazing

12. duffer987

duffer987

I put the Dunlop SPs on my 172 after the Contis crapped out. From an asthetics p.ov. the noise went way, way down, but that coulda been because the Contis were screaming to be replaced :smile:
    Regular day to day driving they were grand, don't know about the track though.

13. fazedesign

fazedesign

14. stu_allen

stu_allen

Re: tyres

All depends on your use, f1s and GSD3s will melt in five minutes on track.

15. Day

Day

^ you sure?

PE2's are soft as shite!

Nik rated the Goodyears over the PE2's on track.