Trophy seeking travels ?

Reaction score
It's been commented on in another thread but I thought it might be interesting to find out how far owners ended up travelling to find their car.
I was quite lucky in that I bought the second car I looked at. The first one was only 25 miles away from me but needed too much work doing for my liking. I did most of the deal on the one I bought before going for it, the price, extras etc were all agreed before me and a mate set off with the car transporter.

I reckon my total shopping mileage was 400 miles.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As I mentioned on the other thread I bought mine from Scotland, a place called Larbert. It was from a poster on here, I live in NW England so a pretty long trip

I planned it to co-incident with when my wife was away in the Isle of Man visiting family, got the train up there (only cost £20) bought with cash and drove it straight back

She got back and asked "why is that red car parked in front of our house?"

When I explained that it was mine and I bought it over the weekend she was not exactly ecstatic about it :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I picked mine up from Warrington, not that far from the South of Cumbria, about a 200 mile round trip. It was 2 weeks before my 21st birthday, I waited 2 weeks before insuring it so it would be cheaper, it was a long 2 weeks. 9 years later and I've still got it.

Reaction score
I bought the Trophy pretty local, only around 30 miles away but when I bought a Williams a few years back, that was around 260 mile round trip

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Got mine in London. 2 1/2 hour train down, then a 190 mile drive back!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I picked mine up from Warrington, not that far from the South of Cumbria, about a 200 mile round trip. It was 2 weeks before my 21st birthday, I waited 2 weeks before insuring it so it would be cheaper, it was a long 2 weeks. 9 years later and I've still got it.

I should have bought your one! Warrington is only 10 minutes away from me

I'm surprised I never saw it driving around as I used to work there

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had a all singing and all dancing 172 that I had just had fresh belts and tensioners fitted when my old boss decided to have an afternoon out on his boat. On the way to his boat we passed a small local garage approx. 10 miles from my house / work and the Trophy was parked at the front of the forecourt with my name written all over it. It was only down to a redundency that I could afford to part exchange my 172 and get the Trophy.

http://www.metro-motors.co.uk/used-cars

The owners son of the garage I purchased it from owned a black 182 running approx. 320 bhp, safe to say a 30 mile drive in this sealed the deal!

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As i said in the other post, i travelled from Blackpool to Dundee, for mine, an aprox total of 520 miles.
Thats towing a trailer. I didnt even drive it back... It was a long day... But worth it....

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I should have bought your one! Warrington is only 10 minutes away from me

I'm surprised I never saw it driving around as I used to work there

I was going to look at one in Scotland but I cancelled as the one in Warrington came up. There was one in Surrey that I liked and the guy selling it basically interviewed me on the phone, questioning my knowledge about the Trophy before I was deemed worthy enough to buy it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had mine delivered, as I bought it from Steve at all vehicles. It arrived in my lunch hour at work and I dropped the driver off at the train station in it as my first ever drive. As crazy as it sounds now when I got mine they were really hard to get hold of as only 18 months old, so I bought it over the phone without seeing it! Or even having ever driven one... I had only driven a 182 cup at that point

Reaction score
I took a trip to Horwich near Bolton for mine. 400 mile round trip and I ended up leaving a deposit but it was the first T I looked at and I wasn't intending to buy so had nothing in place.

A week or so later I made the same journey except on the way back I was driving #455 and my Pa had to drive himself back home, alone - legend that he is.

So all-in 800 miles for me, although if I'd been more prepared it would have been half that lol

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quite short in comparison to most, a short journey of 75 miles or so.

Unfortunately for me, it was on the weekend of major Forth Road Bridge works that I was unaware of so rather than a 1.5 hour journey it was a 3.5 hour disaster, predominately spent stationary.

I've never been so grateful to get out a car at the end. :D

Reaction score
Mine was an 80 mile round trip from Bristol to Cardiff and back. Went to see it one week, dealt with the owner on email/text to agree a price and then travelled over on the train the following week to collect and drive home.

It was actually the first Trophy I'd been to see but, despite the relatively high mileage, it had an impeccable service history and was in great condition. There price we negotiated was very agreeable too!

Haven't really looked back...it's been a superb car and I would have travelled many miles further if necessary!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not a long journey for me, about 75 miles but on public transport took over 4 hours and on arrival I was shown into a large building at the rear where eight of them were sat waiting for their new owners ;)

I wonder where they all are now?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
From Kendal to Chelmsford via Ripley in Derbyshire to look at another one on the way,picked the one in Chelmsford,stayed on the M25 for too long on the way back so that added more miles,around 650 miles in total I rekon,less than 2 weeks later one comes up for sale in Lancaster 20 miles down the road!! Still well chuffed with it, now the better weather is here.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was going to look at one in Scotland but I cancelled as the one in Warrington came up. There was one in Surrey that I liked and the guy selling it basically interviewed me on the phone, questioning my knowledge about the Trophy before I was deemed worthy enough to buy it.

Ha ha that's brilliant. I've always considered Trophy ownership like the conversation in Gremlins. People might think they are ready for a Mogwai/Trophy but they need to acknowledge the history and follow the rules

Reaction score
I live just north of London...bought mine from Inverness!

Flew up and drove it back 540 miles