Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
oliie said:
Re fstops: experiment as follows. Place apple on table. Sit looking directly at apple (same line of sight - no angle up or down) with camera about 30 cm away from apple. Make sure something is in background.

Focus on apple and take photo at smallest aperture (this means using the largest number possible for the light - say F18 or F22). You will see that the background is clear and relatively sharp.

Now do the same but set a large aperture (say F3.5 if your lens supports it) and you will notice the background is blur (less time for the light to enter the lens = getting the detail to the sensor that is closest to the camera).

This effect is most pronounced when you 'zoom' with a lens (e.g. if your lens is 28-55mm then you get maximum effect at 55mm).

Sorry - bit of a crude explanation but hope it helps. Experiment... there is no film to develop!!! :)
Excellent, cheers Oli! I know I should take more time to just sit down and play but there are so many other things to do! I tend to experiment with settings, just playing randomly but I subsequently forget to go through the finished article and remind myself of exactly what I have used.

ducks butt said:
looks like the top of the brewery car park in romford.
Good identifying that man, it is indeed the very same and of course, highly delightful place that we know and love!.. maybe :lol:

Hopefully if I get enough practice in then I can pull out some crackers at the Goodwood breakfast run for French sports cars - put the date in your diaries! (see post in meets i think..) :D

If you are not sure about which settings you used when taking the photo you can actually see all of your setting when loading the photos in your comp: click on properties, then click on advanced. In there is all of the EXIF data of the photo to remind you what you used :)

O.

Reaction score
If you are using a digital slr, then you should be able to get all the exif data in photoshop and also in the supplied image browser you should get to see the exif data too!

I think what ollie is implying with an apple steve is using an object that will make a prominance in the frame do that the focusing will pick it out more easily for demo purposes!