Reaction score
The cars bare at the minute inside, but i've got the seat, mounts, harness and 1/2 cage so i can put them back in to weigh it.

I've not had anything to do with clio's until this january so i'll have too take it that they weigh 1090kg standard. Now i'm guessing thats a dry weight too, so with the liquids that are on board i'm guessing it should be around 1110kg's or thereabouts, now with everything i've removed and then putting back in the seat, 1/2 cage etc, i wouldn't be surprised if it had only lost about 50kg's, so my guess would have to be a rather hefty 1060kg's, the aim is to get under 1000kg's :) :)

I'll weigh it thursday all being well, off to weigh a stripped out 172 with full cage tomorrow :wink:

Chris

Reaction score
Roof Lining's just gone, there's not much to it though, so if anyone wants to save some weight leave the roof lining till last, or just skip breakfast and you'll be fine :D

Looks like the wiring will be staying put for the time being, with 3 trackdays booked in the next 7 weeks i think times against me, so i'll just tidy it up for now and fit a handfull of resistors.

I'll get some pics put up and get it weighed all being well on thursday :D

Chris

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd love to have the knowledge and skills to do all this.

Im in the process of building a very big workshop, ive just got planning permission to build it :) Ive had some old buildings on the land for a number of yrs (that I didnt have planning permission for) so they cant legally make me knock them down and have actually asked me to build something more substantial.

Anyways, having my own workshop is the first step to learning more about mechanics, someday I hope to build my own track car and understand the mechanics behind it.
I guess you will have learnt alot from building 20odd kit cars over the years...

Really interested in this thread and your progress mate. Sorry for going off topic btw :)

Reaction score
I've only actually built 4 kitcars for myself, but i've helped build a further 6 or 7 and then i've wired up loads more.
To be honest the best way to learn is by doing it, if you can adopt the attitude that it's only grown up mecano then you'll be fine. Just remember how you removed a part and re fitting is just the opposite, i'll not deny how daunting it was the 1st ever time i did anything like this, but after the 1st time you just take it in your stride :wink:
remember it's only a car and with the internet being what it is today there's always the answer you need just round the corner if you get in a bit of state.

Be brave Ben and have a go, if the trophy is a car you can't do without, have a look through the local freepapers, find yourself a £50 banger and play about with that, removing parts, modifying bits and removing the interior, once you've done and feel more confident to takle a car your more attached too, just sell the £50 banger for scrap and you'll get your money back. There's nothing too loose, but plenty to gain :D

Chris

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers Chris, ill get there eventually.

Not too sure about Mecano, I was more of a Lego person. Even then I was better at taking it to bits than putting it back together. :)

Reaction score
Got too say i'm quite surprised by what it weighs.

Weighed a fully stripped 172 ph1 yesterday with 1/2 tank of fuel, full bolt in safety devices cage 2 seats. It weighed 981kgs

Just weighed mine, 1/2 a tank of go faster juice, 1 seat but no cage 958kg's
Just weighed the 1/2 cage too, thats 25kg inc fixings

So all being well even after the full cage has been fitted i should have acheived the target of under 1000kg's :D

and with 10kg's minimun of air con too remove it should easily be under the ton.

i'll get some pics up one i've tidied it up a bit :wink:

Chris

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Impressive, shame you didn't have a weigh in before you started, so you could put an actual figure on the weight saving.

wish I still lived on a farm, so I could pop down the weigh bridge and get a reading. Just curious what mine weighs now. lol

Reaction score
It might be a bit pedantic, but does knock of a handful more kg's, are you going with a carbon fibre bonnet as well?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not bad ! Just a shame you dont know how much weight you have saved by stripping the interior, but it doesnt really matter I suppose.

Did you get the Safety Devices cage from Mark Fish? I almost bought one a while back. I would have thought you would fit a full cage... The front half can be bolted directly to the rear half at any time if you wish to upgrade in the future, which is a bonus.

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
Got too say i'm quite surprised by what it weighs.

Weighed a fully stripped 172 ph1 yesterday with 1/2 tank of fuel, full bolt in safety devices cage 2 seats. It weighed 981kgs

Just weighed mine, 1/2 a tank of go faster juice, 1 seat but no cage 958kg's
Just weighed the 1/2 cage too, thats 25kg inc fixings

So all being well even after the full cage has been fitted i should have acheived the target of under 1000kg's :D

and with 10kg's minimun of air con too remove it should easily be under the ton.

i'll get some pics up one i've tidied it up a bit :wink:

Chris

Thats a good saving there Chris mine weighs 1090 with 1/2 tank fuel & spare wheel.
When I looked at the cups I think alot of the weight saving was down to the lighter seats and trim.
Do you know what the carpets and seats weigh?
Recaro recon the seats were 24 kg plus 10 kg for the frames.

Reaction score
The seats are due to be collected this morning, so i'll weigh one before they disappear.
I was surprised how heavy the runners felt too.

I'm busy all day today and tomorrow i'm at Cadwell Park (a friends racing) so if things go to plan on monday i'll weigh a few things that i've taken out to give people a better idea of where they can lose a few kg's.

Chris

Reaction score
BenG said:
Not bad ! Just a shame you dont know how much weight you have saved by stripping the interior, but it doesnt really matter I suppose.

Did you get the Safety Devices cage from Mark Fish? I almost bought one a while back. I would have thought you would fit a full cage... The front half can be bolted directly to the rear half at any time if you wish to upgrade in the future, which is a bonus.

Ben, I haven't got a full cage yet, i'm probably going to go for one from custom cages, a weld in jobbie, rather than a bolt in.
The cars come this far and i have no intentions to ever return it to it's former glory, so once i get a minute i'll be selling or taking to the tip any bits that i've removed, the car will spend the rest of it's life naked :wink:

The safety devices cage from MF looks ok, a worthwhile addition to a road car, due to the option of removing at a later date. if i could get one 2nd hand i'd fit one, but i think for around £800 there is better alternatives for me, with the car being competely stripped and the fact it will stay that way.

Chris

Reaction score
The weight of 1 trophy recaro with subframes attached (no belts or runners) is 17kg's

more weights to follow next week :wink:

Chris

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Been trying to think of bits i can scrounge and the only thing i can think of is the silver strip of trim that sits in front of the passenger and thats only got a teeny mark.

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
The weight of 1 trophy recaro with subframes attached (no belts or runners) is 17kg's

Chris

I emailed recaro for the seat weight looks like they were well out.
Not the massive saving I though would be in them.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Been trying to think of bits i can scrounge and the only thing i can think of is the silver strip of trim that sits in front of the passenger and thats only got a teeny mark.

Thought I had 1st pic being nearest :?: :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
shiftspark said:
hoolio said:

Thought I had 1st pic being nearest :?: :)

But i've been on the forum a month longer :wink:

Reaction score
shiftspark said:
480bhp.com said:

Chris

I emailed recaro for the seat weight looks like they were well out.
Not the massive saving I though would be in them.

Maybe Recaro told you the weight of the normal Trendline seats, they have electric adjustment, so there's the weight of that system to be included?

agree though that the weight saving between a pair of recaro's and a pair of cobra's or like is probably only about 10-14kg's a pair, still it's weight worth saving. Plus i got £775 for mine so all round not too bad :wink:

You'll have to fight over the bit's, but if there is anything you'd like let me know.

Chris