Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
....right, get the grey matter working....

I'm embarking on a project car for track use.... any ideas of what to start with..

must have's:

Rear wheel drive.. so all reno's are out bar the GTA
Sub £5k purchase price
At least 2 seats - Formula ford's are out
at least a 2 ltr engine ( or one that will take a 2 ltr plant

after that... one that I can strip out alot of weight, preferably naturally aspirated or supercharged - not turbo'd (I don't like the lag on track in slow corners)
And something not too old....oh and has a roof, no convertables.

:?: any thoughts?

I thought about the obvious M3, although purchase price might be too high.....

Reaction score
I am thinking E30 of some sort. There are many people who have converted theirs so there is a huge knowledge base.

A second hand E30 325is would be a great starting point :)

O.

Reaction score
Cue said:
....right, get the grey matter working....

I'm embarking on a project car for track use.... any ideas of what to start with..

must have's:

Rear wheel drive.. so all reno's are out bar the GTA
Sub £5k purchase price
At least 2 seats - Formula ford's are out
at least a 2 ltr engine ( or one that will take a 2 ltr plant

after that... one that I can strip out alot of weight, preferably naturally aspirated or supercharged - not turbo'd (I don't like the lag on track in slow corners)
And something not too old....oh and has a roof, no convertables.

:?: any thoughts?

I thought about the obvious M3, although purchase price might be too high.....

Easy. Nissan 200 SX. Here you go;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/118245.htm

300bhp and they are really easy to strip out and not heavy to start with. When you get bored of your racing lines and clipping seconds off your lap times, set it up for drifting!

But if it's got to be N/A;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/129182.htm

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
cheers, being picky about the car but having a roof is a must - stronger body shell, more rigid etc so it rules out the elise and MX5, did think Exige but it's a bit pricey... The E30 325 may be a go-er though... I remember it causing a stir when it was launched as it was as quick as the then M3.

I've got a couple of months before launching the project, it'll be next seasons plaything as I want to get the Trophy some track time this year.... Then it'll be retired to be a weekend car as it nears it's warrenty end...

Considered the 200 also but not sure about the longevity of those Wankel engines and it's a turbo'd car normally....

Though a na Supera but the amount of people that add ody kits and piss about with the internal without any knowledge of what their doing worries me... would prefer german, maybe even british......RWD MG?

Reaction score
Cue said:
cheers, being picky about the car but having a roof is a must - stronger body shell, more rigid etc so it rules out the elise and MX5, did think Exige but it's a bit pricey... The E30 325 may be a go-er though... I remember it causing a stir when it was launched as it was as quick as the then M3.

I've got a couple of months before launching the project, it'll be next seasons plaything as I want to get the Trophy some track time this year.... Then it'll be retired to be a weekend car as it nears it's warrenty end...

Considered the 200 also but not sure about the longevity of those Wankel engines and it's a turbo'd car normally....

Though a na Supera but the amount of people that add ody kits and **** about with the internal without any knowledge of what their doing worries me... would prefer german, maybe even british......RWD MG?

Just a few things Cue. An Elise (any) is stiffer flexurally and across the axles than any BMW, especially a 20 year old 325! The fact that it isa convertible is an irrelevance because it has a aluminium monocoque chassis and was designed as a roadster (not like a roof chopped saloon).

My friend has a lovely E30 325 is and a 2002 ti. The 325 has 170bhp and weighs more than the E30 M3 which has an extra 20bhp. It is nowhere near as quick, 0-60 in about 7.1 as opposed to 6.2 and not as good turn in due to the lovely straight six up front. Absolutely awesome cars though, you would never have a dull day with one and the six sounds amazing with a good exhaust(or the standard one).

The 200-SX hasn't a Wankel or rotary engine, you are thinking of an RX-7 probably. RX-7's are very good on track but extremely thirsty. The 200 SX is the budget drift car of choice and has an ernormous fan based with cheap mods for track use, it is a lightly turbcharged 2.0l 4 cylinder (Hence 200) but can be strengthened to accept silly turbo pressures and as much hp as you dare.

NA Supra's (the MK IV Supra RZ) are pants. Stay away.

Reaction score
Cue said:

Though a na Supera but the amount of people that add ody kits and **** about with the internal without any knowledge of what their doing worries me... would prefer german, maybe even british......RWD MG?

I'd go with an E30 of some sort i think, quite a lot of options to choose from

- E30 M3 (this would be night and day in terms of handling and chassis compared with a 325 sport, a 5k car might require a bit of work though and it would almost certainly be the earlier less powerful engine)
- E30 325 Sport - have to disagree with you and say its not as quick as an M3 ;)
- E30 320is - Very rare Italian market model - basically a 325 Sport with the early E30 M3 engine in it - 4 or 5k would get you one
- E30 318is - Twin cam 16v model with mtech goodies - a lot lighter than the cars mentioned previously.

You could always consider an E36 M3 - these are now readily available for 4-5k, though finding a good one might prove a challenge at that price.

Just my thoughts....

P.S. 200SX is turbo'd and its not a Wankel rotary engine - its the Mazda RX7 (and RX8 now) that has those.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i got the nissan confused with the mazda... not sure how....

currently thinking

BMW - E30 or E36 2.0 and above
Nissan 200 (turbo is a negative though)
Elise, everyone raves about these on track but the soft top is a negative.

Plus soft tops never look right to me with roll cages, plus my experience in caterhams means i've a fobia of getting in and out of the feckers.... 6' 3'' doesn't equate with a caterham.

Reaction score
Why don't you build one? Get a spaceframe chassis made up and an S2000 engine and fit the best suspension, wheels, tytres and brakes you can afford. 260bhp+ Naturally aspirated horsies in a sub 600kg car, would be awesome fun. A real supercar-eater.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
MX5 :roll:

Agreed :twisted:

Plenty of cheapish upgrades to get it how you want it too.

Massive knowledge base & friendly owners also.

hyb

Reaction score
There were a couple of Honda CRX's blatting round the recent track day I did at brands and my god were they quick!

Reaction score
hyb said:
There were a couple of Honda CRX's blatting round the recent track day I did at brands and my god were they quick!
So you would entertain the idea of a front driver then? :wink:
Think I'd be boring and go with an M3 as well, could leave the engine as is starting out and spend ur cash on the other bits.