Reaction score
Hi guys

I currently drive a series 2 lotus elise...but its not the most practical of cars so am looking at trophys...i used to have a 172 cup and loved it...and the trophy really appeals to me...i would be looking to pay around £8500-9000 would i get a good one for that with lowish miles?..and how easy are they to source?...i live near Southampton

cheers, ben

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Steve (All Vehicles) is in the West Sussex area i believe, top bloke.

I was thinking of selling mine and part owning my dads 135R elise, however i kept thinking the same as you - its not practical enough, Trophy is great! You seen many in the local area? I'm just down the road from you.

I used to own a 172 Cup and that was nuts, decided after a couple of years to change to a LCR 225 which wasn't that much fun to drive so then bought the Trophy off my old man and never really looked back since. Still drive new cars to see whats out there but nothing really comes close fun wise for the price of the Trophy. :D

Reaction score
high_altitude

I am in the process of deciding what to do with mine - under 6,000 miles. Engine now produces genuinely slightly over 180 bhp, front geometry revised to 2.0 negative and various other bits of detail tidying up. Do check with me before finalising your decision.

Reason for possible sale is that, as well documented on the forum, I mainly use the car for local hill climbs. It is brilliant in the wet, but somewhat under-powered in the dry. I have come to the conclusion that it more sensible not to spoil a very nice car by trying to get a significant power increase or weight reduction.

Regards

Reaction score
Trophy No.
George K said:
high_altitude

I am in the process of deciding what to do with mine - under 6,000 miles. Engine now produces genuinely slightly over 180 bhp, front geometry revised to 2.0 negative and various other bits of detail tidying up. Do check with me before finalising your decision.

Reason for possible sale is that, as well documented on the forum, I mainly use the car for local hill climbs. It is brilliant in the wet, but somewhat under-powered in the dry. I have come to the conclusion that it more sensible not to spoil a very nice car by trying to get a significant power increase or weight reduction.

Regards

Got to be normally aspirated, probably not much more than 1000kg's, 1.8 to 2.0ltr, not a huge ammount of choice out there, or are you going down a different road? So what are the options you are considering George?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd be looking at Caterhams.... should imagine they'd fly up these hill climbs.

Other than that an old 205 with the Mi16 engine and some chassis and suspension tweaks ;)

Reaction score
Probably my age, but don't fancy Westfields or Elises - too many very well sorted ones out there already.

205 can not run Mi16 engine in production class. The pug is a great base, as is an early Golf, but involves a lot of work, and I have too many other commitments on my time.

For a while I was very keen running an Audi TT diesel in the up to 1,400 petrol class (would have needed DSG, which for some bizarre reason will not be an option) - but frankly it is too heavy and too expensive to sort. Then the Seat Ibiza Cupra D looked a better bet as it is 200 kgs lighter than the TT, and it is quite easy ot get 250 bhp/350 ft lbs and there are plenty of bits to sort the chassis. However heat soak would be a major problem, as not only do you have to queue up to run and sit on the line, but average sppeds are not high enough to get much air flow - and under the bonnet is very crowded, so proper airflow management would be really difficult.

So today's idea is a DC5. they are not that much heavier than a Clio and it is comparatively easy to get 240 - 250 bhp. The biggest issue is that most of the Japanese suspension kits are ridculously stiff for the hills - fine for circuit work.

Have seen one and like the package - need to find one that has not been unsuitably modified to make a judgement.

Reaction score
George K said:
205 can not run Mi16 engine in production class. The pug is a great base, as is an early Golf, but involves a lot of work, and I have too many other commitments on my time.

Top running cars are getting 200 bhp from a 1.9 engine and around 850 kgs , budget of around £10,000 to be competitive !!

C'mon George dont buy the Honda develop the Trophy...then sell it me cheap :D

Reaction score
Shiftspark, they all mainly pre 1992 and the emissions are a doddle at 3.5%.

I have not completely given up on the Trophy, am waiting for some more info. The local renault dealer foreman is an enthusiast and doing some research for me.

Reaction score
George K said:
Shiftspark, they all mainly pre 1992 and the emissions are a doddle at 3.5%.

I have not completely given up on the Trophy, am waiting for some more info. The local renault dealer foreman is an enthusiast and doing some research for me.

I think you still need a friendly mot place.

Keep us posted re mods

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
hoolio said:
theo said:
Be good to have another Trophy in Southampton

Another one! I thought they were as common as flies down there :)

Looking on the this forum you would expect to see lots of tomato cars running around Soton... I'm yet to see another one when I'm in mine... I always seem to spot one though when I'm not in the Trophy - sods law!!

Bring more of them down south!! :D