Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Tomx said:
KS you have tried to prove you point but as you suggest you have not driven a Trophy, so I can't understand why you think you are an expert on sachs dampers. You should prehaps take you arguments up with various magazines and people who really care what you think or not.

I have not brought a Porsche or ferrari and have payed peanuts in comparison for my Trophy and admit it is not in the same class. But for the money and in my opinion you can't buy better.

You may prehaps have the best Williams in the world which obviously proves you don't use it but I would prefer to drive an up to date car and not dwell on a relic. Probably was a good car in its time but I will never know because they don't make them any longer.

At the end of the day I can't see what you are trying to achieve most people on here have paid their money and are happy with their cars and me for one think the dampers are excellent although i do not have the expertese like yourself. =D>

Im no expert on anything. i just use my common sense. Yeah and value for money i doubt you could beat the Trophy, if you wanted a new car for track. I have 2 williams. One i use, one i dont. I also have an MR2 for kicks. :wink:

Im not trying to achieve anything. Im just adding to a discussion. Im sorry my post isnt 'alarm doesnt work again' or 'just picked up my trophy' but i find those posts dull. SO I DONT POST IN THEM :wink:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yep, fair enough mate, your posts do cause some good discussion and i'm glad of that :D

I think everyone knows exactly where you stand on the Trophy suspension front now anyway :lol: :wink:

amm

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
Nik said:
Well ok, I actually meant the whole strut, including the spring.

Well if you swapped the whole suspension, including the wheel, i think you would notice it yes. I do think the Trophy is am imporvement, from what ive read and seen. I was watching you at Donnington alot. I just dont think the imptovement is the result of the damper. I think its the combination of subtle changes (including the damper).

Dont get me wrong, the dampers would make a difference on long track days. But who does 25 laps non stops flat out?

However, if you read the Renault type and mag reviews you would have thought the improvement was JUSt the damper.

I know alot of people werent that impressed with the 182 as a car. Maybe the Trophy is the car Renault should have made in the first place.

The only thing on the suspention thats diferent is the dampers and the front springs whitch are only 10 mm lower :wink:

Reaction score
Well, well you have all been very busy since my first post!!

Stromba is entitled to his opinion.

I am entitled to mine :D

Yes I think the dampers contribute enormously to the handling. On what basis??

Well I have probably driven more cars than most and have covered at least a million miles of road driving and competed in the peugeot rally challenge (although it was many moons ago ) :oops:

Dampers contribute enormously to handling and braking/wheel control especially on bumpy back roads where keeping their temperature stable is probably more important than on a billiard smooth race track.

Spring rating is obviously as important. But as others have said my original post was just after I had been for a blast and thought I would share my thoughts.

No offence to stromba or anyone else. you would think I just lit some fuse or something!

All The best.

Roblad :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Reaction score
Renaultsport and Sachs know nothing, Stromba knows everything.

The End.

:roll:

Reaction score
amm said:
King Stromba said:
Nik said:
Well ok, I actually meant the whole strut, including the spring.

Well if you swapped the whole suspension, including the wheel, i think you would notice it yes. I do think the Trophy is am imporvement, from what ive read and seen. I was watching you at Donnington alot. I just dont think the imptovement is the result of the damper. I think its the combination of subtle changes (including the damper).

Dont get me wrong, the dampers would make a difference on long track days. But who does 25 laps non stops flat out?

However, if you read the Renault type and mag reviews you would have thought the improvement was JUSt the damper.

I know alot of people werent that impressed with the 182 as a car. Maybe the Trophy is the car Renault should have made in the first place.

The only thing on the suspention thats diferent is the dampers and the front springs whitch are only 10 mm lower :wink:

I thought it had light alloys? LOL @ 'only thing different is the springs and dampers'. ONLY. Pretty major components are they not?

Reaction score
Stromba, You make some good points, but not in the right way :wink:

I think the next thing you need to do is actually take a Trophy for a test drive and then give us your opinions, I find that your sceptic view cannot be taken seriously until you have driven one. Yes you know the theory, but you have to put the theory into practice to find out for sure what the results are. :D

On the damper front, one more point for discussion is that I believe that the remote reservoirs are a worthy addition to my hot hatch. Over years of abuse both on and off the track I believe that due to the way that the unit will operate more efficiently/effectively over this period of time, they will still be offering a higher level of damping control to that of a conventional unit well into the later end of their life cycle.

Additionally, I do not believe that the only change internally to the damper is the thicker damper rod, Sachs would never have had the racing success or have earned a good reputation if all they did was produce simple mass made damper units (as the std 182 dampers are) with a thicker rod :oops: and remote reservoir. I believe that the valving/internal componentry of the damper is more sophisticated (using some of the lessons learned in competition) than that of the std 182 unit, and they way that it controls bound and rebound enables swifter progress on a demanding road than a std 182 would allow.

Take a std 182 for a drive, and then take a Trophy for a drive over the same stretch of road and let us know what you think :D Go on fella take up the challenge!

Reaction score
Having said that i was under the impression that resevoir dampers have a separate remote resevoir. I was also under the impression, as pointed out earlier by another member, that the sach units are 'piggy back' dampers. They only have 50% more fluid than a conventional monotube damper.

How long does it take to boil 1.5 cups of water as opposed to 1 cup od water. Not alot. :p

Reaction score
OliS said:
Stromba, You make some good points, but not in the right way :wink:

I think the next thing you need to do is actually take a Trophy for a test drive and then give us your opinions, I find that your sceptic view cannot be taken seriously until you have driven one. Yes you know the theory, but you have to put the theory into practice to find out for sure what the results are. :D

On the damper front, one more point for discussion is that I believe that the remote reservoirs are a worthy addition to my hot hatch. Over years of abuse both on and off the track I believe that due to the way that the unit will operate more efficiently/effectively over this period of time, they will still be offering a higher level of damping control to that of a conventional unit well into the later end of their life cycle.

Additionally, I do not believe that the only change internally to the damper is the thicker damper rod, Sachs would never have had the racing success or have earned a good reputation if all they did was produce simple mass made damper units (as the std 182 dampers are) with a thicker rod :oops: and remote reservoir. I believe that the valving/internal componentry of the damper is more sophisticated (using some of the lessons learned in competition) than that of the std 182 unit, and they way that it controls bound and rebound enables swifter progress on a demanding road than a std 182 would allow.

Take a std 182 for a drive, and then take a Trophy for a drive over the same stretch of road and let us know what you think :D Go on fella take up the challenge!

Ive driven a 182 and i drive a 172 alot and tbh they are DULL

Reaction score
'king Stromba, you have interesting things to say, that is beyond doubt, but if you don't mind me saying, it might be helpful if you could try to say things in a way that didn't antagonise others.

There is a time for an argument that gets to the bottom of things, but also a time for just a casual discussion.

I'm beginning to think you're just a fictional character invented by the mods to keep us posting here !!! :wink:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
ChrisB said:
I'm beginning to think you're just a fictional character invented by the mods to keep us posting here !!! :wink:

Damn! The StrombaBot has been uncovered! :wink:

Reaction score
Must admit he is entertaining and the topic would have died a death ages ago.

Add a bid more fuel the last and first hot hatch I have ever had was an Xr2 15 years ago when I was 18, but can't beleive how good the Trophy dampers are now in comparison. :oops:

Reaction score
King Stromba said:
LOL @ Jeremy.

Thats the marketing schpeel that is on the Renault website and that was regurgitated on every review. Do a search on google for clio Trophy resevoir damper and nearly every 'review' just copies and pastes whats on the renault web site. Please do not insult my intelligence that:

1 One engineer was reponsible for the Trophy chassis set up. It would be a team each with their own speacialities.
2. An engineer would be allowed to write marketing type for the web site. It would have been writen by marketing.
3. That any car under normal use would need to rely on its bump stops, hydraulic or not.

Jeremy do you know what the above actually means? Explain it in simple terms. Because to me the above is meanigless marketing spam:

quote]

Stomba

1. You are wrong. I am right. There is one chassis engineer for the Clio Renaultsport.
2. He wrote it.

Reaction score
If an engineer wrote the marketing text it would explain the grammatical errors as well as its repetitive nature and lack of a inherent meaning.

Maybe the chassis engineer should stick to his piggy back dampers and Renault Sport should hire a competent technical writer who is fluent in the queens English?

If you want a guru to do the job, I want £80k a year and Renault to buy me Williams 0001 as a company car.

Do you always speak to Renault customers in this way? Do you realise how much money I actually spend at Renault in a year? Rebuilding two Williams costs more that ‘repayments’ and a new Clio you know? I might check with Renault France and see if this is company policy.

I heard the customer was always right :wink:

amm

Reaction score
king stromba i think that you should have a test drive of a trophy and then coment on the car :idea: :idea: :wink:

Reaction score
Well maybe Jermey could arange a test session at Donnington for me and my test team?

Ill write a full engineer report.

Heres my team:

Barrington.jpg

The guy at the back just makes my tea :p

Status
Not open for further replies.