Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well after posting the pic above which was trawled from my phone I got a bit of a monk on and decided to check and both spares and those on the car have approx 5 mm, weird as that photo seems to show perfectly has loss.
Anyway happy again as I had suspected those on the car were failing.

Reaction score
Interesting thread, always good to read new info on the dampers, thanks Harry.

As a true Trophy geek, I have been out to look.. :lol:

Gman said:
I had a chat with Ben at BG over the last few days, he reckons he's seeing one set of trophy dampers a week at the moment, he also commented that the vast majority are having issues due to corrosion, mostly from salt, so maybe time/with this last winter has really hit the dampers hard.
I've been trying to find a solution to protecting the reservoirs, (apparently the weak spot is the seal on the bottom of the reservoir) the bottom of the reservoir also needs to breathe.
I might try and make some kind of dust shield over the next few weekends

I reckon the quickest and easiest method would be a good clean followed by either spray grease or waxoil or similar to keep the crap off. Obviously best when the have been rebuilt as they will be at their cleanest. Then every so often a quick spray to top up should work a treat.
I used to do it to the underside of my cars, over brakelines, handbrake bits, mountings etc etc whenever I was under it and it always helped to preserve exposed parts.
:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures Harry.

I knew when I bought mine (second hand) that I would need to return the dampers at some stage. I got my local dealer to check the dampers just before the warranty ran out in November and all was ok. Over the last week mind I have noticed turn in and feels 'squidgy' at best and the car didn't seem to settle into left handers in particular. So after reading Harry's Evo piece on Friday, it prompted me to log on today to look at the posts on refurbing! Interesting developments recently! Especially with one set a week going in! Think mine will be this weeks!

Out of interest, will I need my alignment and camber adjusting after reinstalling the dampers? I had them adjusted after fitting adjustable camber bolts?

Also as a biker, I use products called ACF50 and Scottoiler 365, both products for protecting against corrosion! Worth looking into for protecting our prized dampers! Would be interested to know peoples thoughts.

Finally, is it possible to have the dampers depinned at service time, done one but rounded the other grub screw!

Regards

Gregs

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes he will be able to sort your rounded grin screw, he will replace the adjuster asemnly which he quoted 25 a side though that is a while back.

Reaction score
Checked mine earlier on today and found there was approx 4mm gap both sides, had to jack the car up to see them though.
One thing that did worry me slightly was before i jacked the car up i tried just putting my arm in to feel the gap, on the passanger side my arm fitted in, just, but on the drivers side i couldnt get my arm in????
I then measured from the ground up through the centre of the wheel up to the arch and found the passanger side measures 5/8th's higher than the drivers side?? Obviously this isnt a very good way to measure it as the ground could be uneven, just checked my tyre pressures 2 days ago and they are identical.
Then measured from the ground to the underside of the splitter it either side and found it was the same both sides..
Now im very confused, there was a deffinate difference in distance between the tyre and the arch, could it be the way the car came to a halt when i parked it??
Going to go out tomorrow and do somemore measurements, if its a nice day i might even take the wheels off and try to measure springs etc. Both my dampers are still pinned, could it be that one is set to different amount of clicks to the other???

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
this is normal - it's the effect you have as a driver and carrying no passengers to offset you weight. Mine was the same.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
A picture speaks a thousand words... thanks the for tip. :D Although I went over 50k miles yesterday on the way to Castle Combe circuit the T still seems to be handling well... but I think I'll look to get the dampers refurbed all the same as I probably haven't noticed any degradation due to driving it each and every day.

Reaction score
checked mine (21k) and i have around 5mm although a refurb was on my mind for sometime this year...
for people in newcastle i would say Paul Woods would be the place to go to.

Reaction score
son of solo said:
checked mine (21k) and i have around 5mm although a refurb was on my mind for sometime this year...

I thought BG Motorsport where the only people in the UK who refurb Sachs? If I'm wrong, do you know what PW charges?

Reaction score
hi guys, been following this thread with interest. number98 had its right front changed under warranty at 38k and was looking to get a refurb done on the other now plus spares. My question is would someone kindly post the correct contact details for BG motorsport inc tel number please .

many thanks guys..

Reaction score
son of solo said:

Is that R&P Woods?? I was thinking of going there soon to see if they can do them, if you beat me to it let me know what he said.
Cheers

Reaction score
Just heard back from Ben @ BG, my dampers have now been refurb'd and are being despatched today. They were in good working condition and didn't need rebuilding at this moment, but i requested that they were done anyway along with being depinned. Just for future reference the resevior was about 5mm from the mount on each damper before i sent them off.

Chris

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
Just for future reference the resevior was about 5mm from the mount on each damper before i sent them off.

Chris

Keen to hear how big the gap is when they are returned.

Reaction score
480bhp.com said:
Just heard back from Ben @ BG, my dampers have now been refurb'd and are being despatched today. They were in good working condition and didn't need rebuilding at this moment, but i requested that they were done anyway along with being depinned. Just for future reference the resevior was about 5mm from the mount on each damper before i sent them off.

Chris

Just curious still learning whats what..What is depinned?

Thanks

Ed

Reaction score
Depinned-On the front Sachs dampers you have a adjustment knob (red dial on top of the remote reservoir) with which you can adjust the damping, from renault these are locked "pinned" with a grub screw. Depinning is simply the removal of this so that the dampers can be adjusted.

Reaction score
Just read Hazzers article in EVO and he mentions it was his offside damper that was the worse one, this was the same as mine which i found a little odd as this is the side that probably gets the easiest life, lest road grime/salt and less potholes to cope with?!?!

So out of who has had their dampers done which side has been the worse?

(How cool must it be learning to drive in a trophy at 13!!!)

Reaction score
My shocks were rebuilt by BG recently.

The offside was worse than the nearside, and you could feel the offside of the car bouncing more than the other on the road.

Reaction score
Dampers have just arrived back, the distance between the reseviour and bracket is the same as when i sent them circa 5mm

Just down to me now to clean and spray them up, before i re fit them, oh and slot the top hole even more so i can get up to 2'30 negative camber.

Chris