Reaction score
If you buy this mag, you'll soon read that Harry's T has had re-furbed front shocks. Seems the front as "corkscrewing". One had lost it's gas the other had a slight oil leak. His cars only done 16000 miles. Am guessing a lot of those were hard miles?!

Reaction score
Offered an 11000m 2005 car yesterday and the owner sounded surprised the dampers might need a refurb. I think time as well as use will do for them. Good news for the future they can be refurbed.

Reaction score
I'll have to pick this up.

I got my dampers back yesterday from BG as one of mine was shot, mines done 22k now.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've just put my spare set on as i'm convinced the old ones were on their way out. Having done a few miles on the ones with only 2k on the clock though i'm not so sure..... they seem even worse lol.

I need something to compare against.... Maybe just that i'm not used to rubber top mounts, having been running STM's for a year almost.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought mine were on the way out too but the guys who had a ride at the weekend didn't comment and it did seem pretty good.
Also as discussed at the weekend I also think it's a time thing as well as miles/use

Reaction score
I had a chat with Ben at BG over the last few days, he reckons he's seeing one set of trophy dampers a week at the moment, he also commented that the vast majority are having issues due to corrosion, mostly from salt, so maybe time/with this last winter has really hit the dampers hard.
I've been trying to find a solution to protecting the reservoirs, (apparently the weak spot is the seal on the bottom of the reservoir) the bottom of the reservoir also needs to breathe.
I might try and make some kind of dust shield over the next few weekends

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Would be interesting to know all the mileages of the cars that have been reconditioned. From what I have read on the forum its the low mileage Trophy's that seem to be having more problems. May be wrong though?! Im on almost 55K with no problems and Lukes car felt good at the weekend on 66K.

Reaction score
Gazza said:
Would be interesting to know all the mileages of the cars that have been reconditioned. From what I have read on the forum its the low mileage Trophy's that seem to be having more problems. May be wrong though?! Im on almost 55K with no problems and Lukes car felt good at the weekend on 66K.

That would be a good idea imo, maybe a new post for it with mileage and when they were rebuilt/serviced along with the build number?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I do sometimes wonder if i'm just banging my head against a brick wall by posting here, my posts clearly go unread :) . Ho Hum.

Reaction score
I think I had better get my wheels off and get down to some good old cleaning to ensure that mine are kept in good condition!

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
I think I had better get my wheels off and get down to some good old cleaning to ensure that mine are kept in good condition!

To save ££s that's time well spent.

My rebuilds have been 21000m and 36000m.

Ben BG is doing OK on these, nice little earner one set a week!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
I do sometimes wonder if i'm just banging my head against a brick wall by posting here, my posts clearly go unread :) . Ho Hum.

Ho Hum indeed. ;)
I read your post and it may be the time factor. Would just be interesting to get some data on when people had problems

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:lol: But it is true.

Scoured the shops looking for the mag over lunch, not out on the shelf yet.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
- oil will be a seal issue - due to wear on the seal by dust, grime, salt, use etc etc
- gas is a time issue - all gas will escape over time, seems 3 years is around the time it takes it to break free of the dampers shackles.

Reaction score
What are the indications that they need refurbishing ? Mine just ticked over 40k earlier so mileage wish it seems to be ready for them. I did wonder about the drive the other day thinking it was starting to feel twitchy and was concerned it could have been the dampers, but I'd not driven mine much and was more used to the mondeo I drive in work, now I've had a week off and a deceent North Wales drive last night I'm feeling quite happy with the handling again.

Reaction score
hoolio said:

Seen you post :) , just thought it would be good if we could have a list maybe.

Reaction score
Cue, if you want to compare, give me a shout, I'm only up the road. The offer is there. Mine is still flying round bends with the best of them and thats after 63,000 miles.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Good to see a number of you are evo subscribers!

Easy to tell if a damper has lost its gas pressure as the remote reservoir tube (which has the red adjustable knob on top) should sit clear of the right angle support bracket, which attaches it to the damper tube.

Once the gas pressure has gone the top of the reservoir tube sits against the bottom of this bracket. If there's a 10mm gap (approx) you have the correct gas pressure.

If I knew how to add a photo to this post it would probably help!

Harry

Reaction score
Trophy No.
keith185 said:
hoolio said:

Seen you post :) , just thought it would be good if we could have a list maybe.

Sorry guys, that wasn't a serious comment. But I do think that a large number seem to be going regardless of mileage, so age does seem to be a factor.