Reaction score
Basically I'm thinking of upgrading my car in the near future to one with a bit more power while maintaing good handling. I've got a few questions I'm hoping you'll answer and I'm sure this forum will be a bit biased but I look forward to your comments.
If i do decide to buy it trophy, it will be used as a daily driver, is this ok or not? I've heard that the sachs dampers need a rebuild after 20-30k so this puts me off a bit. Also, I'm a mechanic so I'll probably do most of the mechanical work on the car myself, but a few other mechanics I know say that clios and any other french cars are a nightmare to work on and to stay well clear or them. Has any mechanical minded people found this with their trophy or are my friends overexaggerating? As the trophy is a limited edition, are spare parts hard to come by and expensive? ......and last question, don't take any offence :rolleyes:, but at the end of the day, it's a clio. Which is a pretty basic car. Or do you think that it outshines the common clio and is in a league of it's own?
I personally think it's a great, sporty looking car and I hope you can answer some of my questions with the answers I'm hoping for :eek:

Thanks
Adam

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Although many on here have done I personally wouldn't buy a Trophy as a daily driver

Get an ek9 civic type r

Reaction score
I used my Trophy as a daily driver over 3.5 years putting 44,000 miles on it in the process and it was fantastic. It's comfortable, got good heating in winter, decent air con in summer. And when fitted with winter tyres completely drivable in even the worst of winter conditions thrown at it. I had to refurbish my dampers when I bought it on 26,000 miles and never needed doing again. I just kept them clean. The engine has enough low down torque to make it very tractable without having to stir the box constantly and enough top end fizz to enjoy when the opportunity presented itself.

The car was completely reliable needing no work done to it other than consumables like tyres, brake pads and discs. My car remained rattle free and everything worked as it should, it really was perfect.

I dont see an old Honda that rusts and has little low down torque as a viable everyday alternative, they are good but an Integra is better and even that is noisy and harsh and compromised as everyday transport as I think you need to be very committed to drive either now through the winter as the salt plays havoc with old Hondas. If an EP3 was offered I would have accepted that as it has a much better engine than either earlier Honda, is much more refined, better built and a nice place to sit and doesn't rust away in front of your eyes.

Reaction score
I think you really need to 'want' a Trophy to get one over the obvious price difference between it and a 182. I would imagine the 182 is a more comfortable daily driver. Like previously said, once refurbished the Sachs shouldn't cause you any more problems, but if you do the work yourself expect the car off the road for 1 - 2 weeks with postage, work done and return post. The engine bay is tight with the 2 litre in there but that aside, all manufacturers have their quirks with strange bits of design, and this forum isn't full of people complaining about silly things that Renault have done, and based on my experience there isn't a problem, certainly not a nightmare and I do most of the work on the car myself. The cam belt change is the most awkward! The most important thing to note is that engine problems are so rare, you hardly hear of it on here other than a sensor packed up, the old 2 litre design is superb.

Spare parts are mainly the same as the 182, with suspension parts matching the 182 cup (driveshafts), the exception being the Sachs and i'm sure there's a few people that have tried to get Trophy specific parts with difficulty like the decals, skirts but generally there isn't a problem.

When you way up the cost, on paper the car isn't worth it, but driving it is what makes it worth the money. I used mine as a daily driver for 3 years without a problem. It's a bit harsh over bumps and got on my nerves when i wanted a comfortable drive to and from work on occasion, but when i was more awake and fancied a spirited drive it was great, depends on where you live and what the drive is like of course!

Reaction score
Hi Adam,

Tell us what you currently drive and what sort of car history you have?

You like many other mechanics think renault are a nightmare to work on but this is simply not true,yes they seem to do things differently to other mainstream manufacturers but renault are usually the first to bring tech to the masses like keyless entry and rear wheel steering not to mention their motorsport pedigree.

As for the trophy ive had mine since new and covered 95K with only normal wear and tear service items replaced apart from the sachs front shocks at 90K? so your quoted 20-30K is a bit off the mark this was not the case with me.

This forum is also a great source of information if you do have a problem

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, really helping me out.
I'm currently driving a classic mini, so for all the replies about the trophy being rough and bumpy, doesn't really bother me as I don't think you could get worse as my mini. Like my mini, I want a car that puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it even if it's to and from work. i've read that the trophy wheels have certain tyres fitted to them. I'm guessing these tyres are quite hard to find and £££. So do you swap the tyres, with normal ones or do you constantly purchase the right tyres for it?

Reaction score
only if you want to keep it completely original, think u just need make sure you get ones with decent strong side walls

Reaction score
The trophy originally came with michelin pilot exalto 2 (PE2'S) tyres which have now been discontinued and replaced by michelin pilot sport 3 (PS3'S).

So the choice is yours from michelin or another premier brand to budgets ?

SoS

Reaction score
I have been using mine as a daily driver since June, coming from a E61 5 series BMW and it is not ideal but you can live with it. I am doing around 200 miles a week most weeks.

A trophy is a good option from a classic Mini. Don't worry about tyres, you can get cheaper that are still decent or go for Michelins that are more expensive but last well.

Reaction score
I think the only possibility for a more harsher ride than a mini is a plank of wood!

Reaction score
I use mine as a daily:), great little thing. Returns 38-40mpg on a run with cruise set to 60. Seats are great, air con and heating are also good. Ride is actually really positive, mainly when doing speed. On slow roads it can be crashy. I also find the dampers need to be 'warmed up' before they are working exactly as they should.

my only complaint are the speakers. They are piss poor. Apart from that it's perfect for a daily to be honest and has the power when you need it.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys ! Thankfully you gave me the answers I was hoping for. I shall be looking futher into trophy ownership so I'm sure you'll see me popping up on this forum again
Once again thanks
Adam

Reaction score
Nice little read that was :) I like the trophy because it stands out of the crowd which is what I tend to go for, hence the classic mini. Do you have to run it on the premium petrol or can you use normal unleaded?

Reaction score
As a relatively new owner here is my take on it................I acquired #262 (in August 2013) to use as my every day car (though I have only covered around 3,500 miles or so since I acquired it), switching from a Porsche 968 Club Sport (a factory built track car) that was my daily driver for over 9 years. I would say the Trophy is way more civilised as an everyday car than the 968CS, especially on cold/rainy days. However, motorway journeys are a bit of a pain due to the stiffer suspension that pitches the car about, but once you get up to speed, especially on A or B road all is forgotten - you will also love roundabouts!

The T has a perfectly adequate heater and air conditioning, and, most importantly, a demister that works, electric windows and central locking, most of which were lacking in the 968CS, and the T is an absolute blast to drive, which is exactly what I was looking for. Okay, the T's FWD chassis dynamics are very different to that of the 968CS' (transaxle) RWD layout, but the feedback is similar, and there is no loss with regards to the fun factor.

Last edited: