Suspension re-fresh time..

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So im having a suspension re-fresh on my T.
Im getting my front struts re-furbed, just started weeping fluid from one of them,,and whilst im in there im looking at replacing the front top mounts with standard versions, and ,,
replacing the rear shocks with standard units.
So the car will hopefully feel "new"..... Not that it doesn't feel good now...
Where is the best place to get the parts from , and what sort of prices might they be.?
Thanks. Dave W.

Reaction score
Also worth considering:

Track rods
Track rod ends
Wishbones
Lower ball joints
ARB bushes
Steering rack bushes

I'd drop a line to Renault Parts Direct (Paul), or check out their website.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well it looks like the previous owner has replaced the wishbone bushes with purple powerflex ones, also the anti roll bar bushes and the track rod ends, just need to sort through the receipts and find out just what else was done at the time... That time being aprox 15K miles / 4 years ago.. So no need to replace them again,
One thing that will need doing is the top mount anti friction plates, they seem a bit stiff. The top mounts themselves look in good order...
The front wishbones will need a lick of paint as they have got a layer of surface rust on them.

How easy is it to remove the lower ball joints from the bottom of the hub. It looks like a matter of loosening the retaining bolt and a light tap with a hammer and they drop out, OR is there more too it.??

Also, just looking at the front end, on a standard car, can the camber be adjusted as idve though it was adjusted with an excentric bolt , and as yet I havnt found one.?? Is that why people fit the Eibach "camber" bolts.?
Although I havnt found the need for any more -ve camber, so I might just get a new set of bolts and leave alone...

If I order the rear shocks, im guessing they wont come with top mounts etc, do people recommend fitting the powerflex ones or just leave standard.??

Cheers Dave..

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
When you remove the lower ball Joint from the hub you have to remove the bolt completely otherwise it won't drop out, there's a groove in the ball Joint that the bolt goes through which locks it in position. Just tap it out or use a pry bar to free the ball joint afterwards.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers Ben. Thats what i thought, so there not a tapered ball joint ....