hyb

Reaction score
11032006038.jpg

Nice day for a clean, thought I'd take the rear out, see what difference in noise it made.

Turns out not a great deal

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I keep thinking about taking the back seats out and save a bit of weight, but they are so cheap they weigh hardly anything so i'm not sure it's worth it really.

Exhaust looks good :D

Reaction score
Hyb - perhaps you don't notice much increase in noise because you already have an aftermarket exhaust fitted?

For me it was definately night and day difference... but as you know the stock exhaust is pretty much inaudible so there was much more to gain!

Cheers
O.

hyb

Reaction score
with my janspeed, I'd say the only increase in noise was the road noise. you could hear every little stone hitting underneath, i was suprised at how thin the metal was. Lean on it and it would really flex. I'm not sure how much the metal bar the seats mount on helps in stiffness, but a quick test drive down some local roads, the back felt a lot twitchier without the bar in.

Reaction score
hyb said:
with my janspeed, I'd say the only increase in noise was the road noise. you could hear every little stone hitting underneath, i was suprised at how thin the metal was. Lean on it and it would really flex. I'm not sure how much the metal bar the seats mount on helps in stiffness, but a quick test drive down some local roads, the back felt a lot twitchier without the bar in.

Interesting the bit about feeling the car may have lost some stiffness from taking out the bar, I have heard this bar described as an Isofix bar, that is only there to add rigidity to the rear seats, but maybe this bar does help to make the rear of the car stiffer? :?

Or perhaps the back felt twitchier because of the weight that has been taken out, both from loosing the rear seats and from the lighter exhaust system?

Reaction score
I think it's due to the loss of weight. The isofix bar was not mounted to the struts so I don't think it would have contributed to an increase in stiffness.

I agree with the road noise commment - every drive is much more 'in your face' and you hear every single stone that has been kicked up by the tyres!

O.

Reaction score
Whereabouts and how is the bar mounted? I'd imagine it could make quite a difference to the stiffness across the rear of the car, if it is reasonably substantial and mounted securely (which it should be if it relates to the seats)

Do you have any photos of the bar installation?

Reaction score
Could one of you guys post a mini guide on how to remove the rear seats? Might as well take mine out for my trip to the 'Ring in May, especially as I am taking 4 new tyres over. I'll take some photos of the bar when I take my seats out, unless anyone else beats me to it.

hyb

Reaction score
its dead easy. the actual seat part that you sit on isn't actualy mounted. you lean it forward and wiggle it out of its mounts. the back part of the seat is held in with the black bar that goes across the car. 3 bolts, came out really easily, removes the black bar, then the seats can just be pulled out. can be done in around 4 minutes?
I'll post pics of it tomorrow

Reaction score
Day said:
If stromba was here he'd know ;)

No need for that fellow, nitro to the rescue.

Anyone who notices the changes in acceleration and handling due to taking the rear seats out must have spidey senses.

Get real you lot!

Reaction score
I'm just bumping this because it's interesting reading.

I'm considering taking the isofix out but wondered if it could add to the structural stiffness of the car, obviously it is not a strut brace, having a rear torsion beam, but it still counts as part of the bodyshell structure so could affect handling, possibly?

How much does it weigh anyway? If it's less than 10kg and/or makes the rear bench unusable I'm not going to bother.

Reaction score
its less than 10kg, very much doubt it does anything for strutural stifness