Reaction score
A have never heard of the pencil rubber trick? - sounds worth a try.

When I go back to have application number 3, I shall mention the discolouration - to me it signals carelessness, I may ask them if they mask off any areas..

Overall though, it's been well worthwhile - everytime I give the car a quick clean, it comes up so well. The swirl marks are ever so light and small too. It really does look excellent, just a few niggles.. :D

Reaction score
I've used the Permaguard too. Paintwork was pretty well swirll free to start with but did have some marks. With the pretreating they did before application nearly all the marks were removed, fantastic job. It's pretty well blemish free now. I also went for the glass treatment as well and that's great. I always used RainX in the past and the treatment is just lke it but lasts much, much longer.

The only things I will say were not 'perfect' were they used far, far too much tyre black and therefore when I drove away the bodywork got covered in black oily spots from the treatment they used (it was almost still wet and dripping). They also cut corners on 'treating' black plastics. Clearly used some lacquer which, now it's rained a few times has rinsed off leaving black streaks down the doors from the mirrors. I can't complain about that really as they were trying to make it look good but not worth it in my opinion as rain always washes it away. Turns out the lacquer used on the splitter was to mask their mistakes, more in a bit.

Other niggles were the amount of treatment they used. Okay more the merrier I guess but the door handles (when you lift them) were covered in white residue as were small corners of bodywork.

Now for the biggie - they said they do mask off plastic but the front splitter is covered in white streaks. Which I've not tried to remove yet but called them about it. They suggested a nail or tooth brush and some elbow grease, if that doesn't work to bring it back to them and "they'd have a go". We'll see what happens there.

Overall I'm happy. Great treatment and really nice people and an amazing product but attention to detail was lacking a touch. I'm a total perfection freak and know there is a balance between getting a job done in a slot and loosing money on it but I was the only car booked in on the Saturday morning and said "take as long as it takes, no rush".

The MD and owner of the whole Permaguard franchise gave me a lift to the station when I dropped it off and said that they really run the business on Marine and Aviation customers, car treatments are lower margin and not really the bread and butter but great publicity and some extra cash. Great bloke and really passionate about his business which is great.

Would I reccomend it. Definately. I'd warn them about masking things first though and being very careful about application. If your black plastic is heavily laquered on collection beware that you may have white marks on plastic post a rain shower...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've never had these white blotches left on mine, but the stockport one is run by a proper petrol head. really nice guy also.

Reaction score
Cue said:
i've never had these white blotches left on mine, but the stockport one is run by a proper petrol head. really nice guy also.

I'll second that, he's a top bloke and does a very good job (tup)

Reaction score
Gordon, did you use the guy nearby London City?.. What concerned me is that for someone who applies these treatments to cars and you would therefore expect to know his stuff, he told me to clean mine with a sponge.. hmmmm... NO!

Reaction score
I did use the guys near London City. There are the 'founders' and main owners in the UK. All the other people spread across the UK are franchise owners.

For the guys that brought the product and service to the UK it did seem a little strange they weren't totally focused on detail.

As I said though I don't think they are necessarily total petrol heads and make their cash from Marine and Aviation applications.

Adi (Addy?) the guy I dealt with knew the product alright. He said to clean it use cold water spray/hose/jet wash, then chamois off water. That's okay if you have a hose pipe, outside tap, home jet wash but I don't. The way he said to clean it when really mucky was with the shampoo they supply (which you get free when they do the treatment, along with a sheet of maintenance instructions) a bucket of luke warm/cold water and a sponge - but only after you have rinsed the surface muck and grime off first.

As I don't have a hose pipe and have to do every wash with a bucket I've got one of those high pressure portable water tanks you hand pump to 40psi. I spray the surface first, then I use the shampoo they supply with a Meguiars Microfibre mit and the two bucket method with a grit guard.

It's a hassle but should do the job. I haven't actually done it yet as not dirty enough but when I do that's the intended method.

Have you been told any different?

Reaction score
I was told to use a hose or pressure wash then blade or leather water off or 3 drops of shampoo in cold/luke warm water with just the "weight" of a wet sponge to clean off when very dirty.

Reaction score
Yep, as I was told. Pressure wash/hose then a water blade or chamos to dry. Couple of drops of shampoo in water and just the weight of sponge to remove grime. No need to apply any pressure. Which is what I'd intend to do with the Microfibre mitt.

Unfortunatley I can't use a hose as I don't have access to one. Nor can I use a pressure washer at a garage as they all have poor quality soap in them as the first cycle of the clean, before plain water arrives to rinse.

I'm stuck with the portable manual pressure water tank and a bucket and mitt - it's that or move house...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's a french owned product - the london guy bought the UK franchise i believe. He then vets people for possible new franchise opportunities in the uk.

Think his name is mike from memory - Graham, the guy in stockport gets my vote.

Reaction score
Interesting.. I always add the shampoo to my bucket - undecided as to whether or not this is necessary - also wonder whether it has any effect upon the resilience of the permaguard? - I usually add about 5 drops (large ones at that) in an attempt to get some soap suds...

I didn't think much of the protection on the wheels so this year and last year I removed them after about 6 months and fully waxed them which helps to keep the brake dust at bay a little better..

Reaction score
They say shampoo only necessary when paint work really grimey. A strong jet with water supposed to work. I reckon you need a strong hose pipe or washer for that alone though.

Their shampoo is purely some netural potion that they say doesn't harm the Permagard treatment.

I was told that loads of suds are not necessary when washing cars. Add shampoo to water so you don't get loads of suds, then use the viscosity (slipperyness) of the soapy liquid to lift grime away.

Cue, you are right. It was invented and patented by a French guy who sold UK rights to Mike (I think you're right again) and then he sells on the other franchise territories. Graham clearly one of the best of those sold to.

Reaction score
I know this thread is old but I want to put a word in for the London Permagard guys. Having spoken to them a week or so ago about removing the white marks from the plastic trim, they called me on Friday saying they had a cancellation on Saturday morning and I could bring the T in. Short notice but I was free so no drama.

As well as removing the white residue on the plastics, which seemed to come off easily with their own products, they also cleaned and washed the cars bodywork with a jet wash and their shampoo. Then they did a kind of 'top up' and went over the bodywork with their products and polishing machines giving it an all round buff and shine.

They were very happy to do the wing mirrors that were forgotten the first time. I also pointed out that the glass treatment on the windscreen was not working properly on the passenger side, and they re did the whole windscreen. Not that it's rained and I've been able to check it's sorted it, but it has rained when it was parked and the water beeded off the paint work in the tiniest droplets. :)

Bummer was, when they phoned me to ask me if I was near by (was a bit late as traffic awful) they neglected to tell me about the police speed trap up the road. When I arrived and apologised for being even later as I'd been pulled over, he said "Oh yea, forgot to tell you about them, they were there when I went past. They got the MD last week." :roll: