Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have to say I'd buy that if I had the cash. Don't think I could own it without using it though, so wouldn't be able to keep it in the same condition.

Reaction score
Wonder if it will sell within the guide price. If it does would be a good car for 7k.

Reaction score
Doubt it will sell in the range given, but will it be a great car ?
25 km in 13 years ? Will it still be driveable ?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Doesn't say if it's been maintained at all during that time. You'd hope that it was started up and run regularly during that time with oil changes and stuff done, but who knows. I cant imagine the original oils and seals would be very good after 13 years :shock:

Reaction score
Stromba has all the details, but from what I gathered it's just been sat in a shed. Needs some TLC to get it back to it's former glory.

Either way I doubt it'll go for less than 10k.

Reaction score
What hammer falls for and what the car goes for are different. If the hammer falls for 10k, you have VAT and stroage costs ontop of that. So price will be nearer 13k for a 10k hammer fall.

Guide price forauctions is notoriously held low to arrouse interest in the item.

How many people will now turn up, thinking what you are that it would be a great car for 7k, just to get blow away by a collector realising its true value? I see it all the time at auctions.

Realistically, if the advertising for the car has been good, i would expect it to make 20k at the fall of the hammer, minimum. 0002 made 15k with 800 miles on the clock, so i cant see this going for less.

If the car was bought for 20k and registered, youd instantly lose 5k on the price. Drive it and another 5-7k would be knocked off its value.

Anyone who goes to buy this to drive it had better prepare for some serious depreciation.

Reaction score
ChrisB said:
Doubt it will sell in the range given, but will it be a great car ?
25 km in 13 years ? Will it still be driveable ?

Ive driven it (ive done 10% of the mileage on it) and its a bit rattly and smokey and the gearbox whined like mad. The oil was black when we checked it (obviously when the guy wasnt looking). I asked the guy what had been done to it, and the car is as it was when delivered from Renault. Same tyres, oil and coolant.

Im pretty sure it would be faily heavily in need of some kind of rebuild if it was going to be driven.

Reaction score
To be honest I thought it would go for more than 7K.

Not slagging the car off but why would anyone pay 20K for it and not use it. And if you did buy it to use it you would be better of buying a Trophy and put 8k in the bank.

Reaction score
Because i know its a hard concept to understand, but not everyone thinks the same way as you or likes the same things. Some people like to collect cars, some like to drive them. Each to their own. Trouble for the drivers, is that collectors tend to have more money :p

Reaction score
but less fun..;)

And a non standard aerial? that'll knock at least a grand off then.... :wink:

Reaction score
In a way i hope some nutter buys the car and tracks it. All the time 0001's value is going down, my 0002 will be increasing in value. :p

Reaction score
Fair point. I hope someone buys it and puts it into a vacuum sealed container. :p :wink:

Reaction score
When i asked a number of classic car owners about the problems of long term car storage i was told the same thing by most. The car is being sold as a museum piece, going to buy it as a road car is asking for trouble.

But im sure you and the williamsclio chat room have already phoned around to get an accurate picture. I mean its not like you guess at facts all the time is it?

By the way, do they let working class people into these auctions anyway? I thought it was gentry only. Oh well standards must be slipping. Im sure Yozza will get in fine, being a fellow public school boy. If you have problems Gaz, just say you know me and im sure youll be right lad.

Day

Reaction score
I've just looked at the stuff they are auctioning.

Looks to me like they are clearing out old useless junk.

...and some F1 cars.